Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Bihn Logo on Synik

I love Tom Bihn. I use the Synapse 19 everyday. It hurts me to say this but their logo is probably one of my least favorite. It really needs a redesign to be smaller and more subtle. Itís my top request. Furthermore, theyíve gone too far in poor taste with the logo placement on the amazing new Synik line. The placement of the logo on the bottom left is way more distracting than having it centered. It sticks out like an after thought. Iím surprised that a company that takes so much time and care with design, have such little regard for their branding. It looks crooked when the bag is filled up because of the placement. I canít believe that they canít find a better solution to differentiate the synapse from the synik than to stick the logo in a different place.  manages to know the difference between an iPhone X and XS without moving the logo around. I hope they fix this because it really ruins the look of the bag. The ugly logo is pretty much the only thing that bothers me about my Synapse 19 - but at least itís centered. I regress though - other than the logo, an amazing company - one of my favorites. What do you guys think of the logo and itís placement on the Synik?
    Last edited by rishio; 08-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it's fine. When the logo is placed in the center as on the Synapses, it becomes a focal point and draws attention to the logo more than the overall design aesthetics of the bag. And that's okay with me too.

On the Synik, I am fine with the logo "out of the way" in the lower right. It lets me appreciate the lines and curves of the bag more, making the overall design aesthetic the "focal point", while giving the bag another identity apart from the Synapse line.

I think it is just a matter of what I choose to focus on. Also, I know the history of the plane in the logo and the greater history of the company. So for me the logo is appreciated. But when I was newer to Tom Bihn, I did wonder about that logo though because at that point in my life, I was a lot more focused on form over function.

If the logo is that much of a problem, I'd suggest getting a black bag or dark one like blue so the logo might blend in a little more so its borders do not look so crooked to the eye (based on the load out). I found that pics seem to make the logo look more crooked compared to an in-person view.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, everyone's tastes differ, but I don't think the Tom Bihn logo is ugly -- on the contrary, I think it's as well designed as the bags -- and I don't think the new placement ruins the look of the Synik. I didn't have any problem with the old logo placement, but I like the asymmetery of the new design.

I definitely understand why people would prefer no logo, but one of the things I love most about Tom Bihn is that they haven't sacrificed the quality of their bags just to sell a lot more of them -- on Amazon, say, or at Wal-Mart -- which at this point they could easily do. If they're only going to sell them from their own shop, that means they have to find other ways of letting people know that they exist, since the sheer volume of other options is going to swamp them in search engines. (Google "backpack" in an incognito browser and scroll down until a Tom Bihn result appears. You're going to be there a while.)

Instead they seem to have decided that the best way to get the word out is stellar customer service, intensive engagement with reviewers and users of their products, and obvious branding on the bags themselves. I have no idea if these things are actually connected, so I could be wrong, but if that's what they have to do to keep the business functioning more or less as it is, for me that's a fair trade-off. (But then, that's easy for me to say: I like the logo.) YMMV.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I detest most corporate logos, yet I love Tom bihns. To each their own.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always use a thread ripper and remove it like the previous owner of my S19 did.

You'll definitely take a hit on resale value though.

Tom Bihn Logo on Synik-screen-shot-2019-08-07-4-37-03-pm-png

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve had mine for 3 years. Probably another 2 before I upgrade. I meant the logo is fine, but I think it would be much better if they made it smaller and better integrated. It always seems too big and crooked on bags. I still think their reason for putting it on the bottom left to differentiate models sounds like a poor reason to make design decisions.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the logo is fine, it’s part of the bag. For aesthetic reasons I personally do prefer it centred - unlike on the new Synik, but that’s not a big deal. I have no problem to publicise products from companies that have great products and business values. But I buy the bags to use, not to worry about the logos.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canít really weigh in, I hardly ever notice the logo. Even if I did everything is branded these days and the one inch logo isnít much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the logo; I appreciate the history of its design.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love retro air travel, so I’m a fan of the logo. I also love a good slogan and ‘portable culture’ is one of my favourites.

I’ve not yet become accustomed to the asymmetric logo placement on the otherwise symmetrical Synik. Given enough time, I might but I’m not there yet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love/hate for me. I think the red airplane large label is charming on its own. But as a big TB fan, I have a lot of TB stuff and often carry more than one item at a time. The big label on a backpack + shoulder bag + tote bag all at once is more branding than I want to flaunt. Maybe because to me it's like wearing the same big logo on one's sunglasses, jacket, and shoes?

It's not as though TB doesn't already have alternatives for the big label. As much as I love the shop bags and the Pop Tote, I wish they had the narrow little label on one seam like the Swift--so the labels are not so loud when I'm carrying like three totes at once.

Even the multitude of little labels can be a bit much given how many accessories I might travel with--lots of "TOM BIHN" in a tiny hotel room. I couldn't embrace the travel trays because they have a huge label to object ratio! I use stuff sacks instead. And now that I think about it, I'm going to give thanks for the ultra-discreet mini "TB" tag on packing cubes and ghost whales!

Personal preference, I guess, but I favor more subtlety. For example, see Swift vs. Pop Tote; Stuff Sack vs Travel Tray; current Side Effect vs. the early Side Effect from 2012? with the big label in the center; Ghost Whale vs. Organizer Pouch....etc. Again, it's mostly because I've got so many items--#firstworldproblem, I know!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just “Tom Binh” with a plane is enough. I think logos like the following would be much better:

Tom Bihn Logo on Synik-102f4006-4c9e-4857-b4ec-de5cea06642f-jpeg

“Made in USA” looks much better than “Since 1972 Portable Culture” Still, I would prefer this exact logo without the “Made in USA”.

Tom Bihn Logo on Synik-9c4077d7-a262-4858-a3c1-92f2816ff4d9-jpeg

Tom Bihn Logo on Synik-e88acbb6-52ca-4b07-9314-d6f32c0bb2b6-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Love/hate for me. I think the red airplane large label is charming on its own. But as a big TB fan, I have a lot of TB stuff and often carry more than one item at a time. The big label on a backpack + shoulder bag + tote bag all at once is more branding than I want to flaunt. Maybe because to me it's like wearing the same big logo on one's sunglasses, jacket, and shoes?

It's not as though TB doesn't already have alternatives for the big label. As much as I love the shop bags and the Pop Tote, I wish they had the narrow little label on one seam like the Swift--so the labels are not so loud when I'm carrying like three totes at once.

Even the multitude of little labels can be a bit much given how many accessories I might travel with--lots of "TOM BIHN" in a tiny hotel room. I couldn't embrace the travel trays because they have a huge label to object ratio! I use stuff sacks instead. And now that I think about it, I'm going to give thanks for the ultra-discreet mini "TB" tag on packing cubes and ghost whales!

Personal preference, I guess, but I favor more subtlety. For example, see Swift vs. Pop Tote; Stuff Sack vs Travel Tray; current Side Effect vs. the early Side Effect from 2012? with the big label in the center; Ghost Whale vs. Organizer Pouch....etc. Again, it's mostly because I've got so many items--#firstworldproblem, I know!
    Last edited by rishio; 08-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Synapse 25 and never loved the big centered logo and actually thought about removing it...but never did. It's kind of cool to have that old-school, not-modern, somewhat-homely branding right there in the center. But I will say that the first time I saw a TB Synapse with the offset logo (I think it must have been a Guides Edition or something) on the subway, I immediately thought that the logo looked so much better on the bottom corner. It admittedly was one of the (many) elements that drew me to the Synik.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess they can never please everybody! I suppose I’ll wait a couple years because my synapse19 has good life left in it. Besides, what I really want to replace it is a Synapse 22 - all the features of the Synik 22 excluding the clamshell design (less durable) and off-center logo (not to my taste)

Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I have a Synapse 25 and never loved the big centered logo and actually thought about removing it...but never did. It's kind of cool to have that old-school, not-modern, somewhat-homely branding right there in the center. But I will say that the first time I saw a TB Synapse with the offset logo (I think it must have been a Guides Edition or something) on the subway, I immediately thought that the logo looked so much better on the bottom corner. It admittedly was one of the (many) elements that drew me to the Synik.
    Last edited by rishio; 08-08-2019 at 12:13 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the retro plane, so cool,
    I don't like big fat logo, but since I have a Mars Red GES25 it kind of blends within (because of red you see... and I like the logo in the bottom corner more than on the almost-top center)

I agree I would like only the plane and name, they are enough (though "Portable culture" is pretty cool)
    I like the minimalist "TB" for accessories

Quote Originally Posted by improvised View Post
    [...] (Google "backpack" in an incognito browser and scroll down until a Tom Bihn result appears. You're going to be there a while.) [...]
    add "minimalist" or "one bag" and it will appear (really) faster
    just a Bihnion here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast