Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronik - now we have Synik who wants an Aeronik?

Loving the look of the Synik and also how the name came about. So what’s the next? My vote is an Aeronik.

The Aeronik would draw upon inspiration from the Synik and Aeronaught. Keep the same basic design as the Aeronaught but add the great looking side access laptop compartment and back panel.

Whilst at it, perhaps move the zip for the pocket inside the main compartment, to the outside to make a killer quick access pocket.

Maybe increase the capacity to 35l....

This would get my vote and cash! Who else would be in?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy a 37L Aeronaut today. 30L just cuts it too close for any longer trip, and 45L, with the Tardis effect, is just too much to carry (outside of using a "real" backpack). I may bite the bullet anyway for an upcoming 18 day trip, but I'm having a hard time getting over the pics of people who look like stevedores or potato farmers when wearing the 45L.

You forgot about the new straps. Gotta have those better straps. Also needs an elegant (i.e., integrated) roller luggage strap. I'm not yet converted to one-bagging, so I'm not so concerned with the laptop compartment. However, just as with the Synik, there are loads of people that want a just in case laptop compartment (comes up in every review I've ever read).

You're also right about having outside access to the flap pocket. That would be so handy!
    Last edited by ayazgood; 08-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy moly, you read my mind! I spent most of today on the road and had the same thought... with the same Aeronik name!

A laptop sleeve and the new backpack straps, with possibly an internal frame and I’d be sold.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping for a Niklet, which is a larger travel cubelet.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely In.

Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I thought I'd hate the idea of the integrated laptop compartment on the Synapse, they ALWAYS seem to be such a waste of space and get in the way if I'm not carrying a laptop. But now I've actually seen how they did it..... Yeah, how could I have *ever* doubted Tom Bihn?

I would love if they could do the same thing with the Aeronaut for a laptop space and increase the size just a smidge (35L). As long as it came in Burnt Orange, I'd trade up.

(I'll admit though.... not feeling the clamshell opening on the Synik, had a bad experience once 20 years ago and now I'm zipper-shy and yes I know, the aquaguards are different and I could lock them, but.... irrational fears and all.)
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    I would buy a 37L Aeronaut today. 30L just cuts it too close for any longer trip, and 45L, with the Tardis effect, is just too much to carry (outside of using a "real" backpack). I may bite the bullet anyway for an upcoming 18 day trip, but I'm having a hard time getting over the pics of people who look like stevedores or potato farmers when wearing the 45L.

You forgot about the new straps. Gotta have those better straps. Also needs an elegant (i.e., integrated) roller luggage strap. I'm not yet converted to one-bagging, so I'm not so concerned with the laptop compartment. However, just as with the Synik, there are loads of people that want a just in case laptop compartment (comes up in every review I've ever read).

You're also right about having outside access to the flap pocket. That would be so handy!
    here's a thought: pack less

ok, I might need to add this: I'm a minimalist onebagger travel nerd.... it's a bit religious (almost).
    I find it exciting though to reduce the stuff I carry - every time a travel it's sort of a bit less and less.... these days I can easily do months on the road, out of a 20-25ltr pack, unless I travel extensively in really cold climates... but even then it's sort of do-able.
    30l is about the largest pack I'd be willing to lug around for travellling purposes...

and laptop compartments are great honestly.
    especially with ext. access... get your laptop or tablet, quickly from it's dedicated space without fumbling through the pack... brilliant. for EDC or travel I really would not want to go to a pack without it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm moving in the minimalist direction, after doing a backpacking trip with some serious ultra light backpackers. In this case I need to carry both warm weather gear (Delhi) and cold weather gear (Gangotri/Gomukh), plus a quilt and a separate frameless pack to use for an overnight trek, plus some other out of the ordinary stuff. DIY laundry will also be problematic for most of this particular trip. I would still have considered trying it with the Synik 30, but it would have been very tight, even with the extra EDC bag I plan to bring. Plus, unless Countron blessed me, the S30 is not shipping soon enough. I'm still hoping to under pack the A45 I just bought. I went A45 since there's not much of a weight penalty, and I'm still expecting to get an S30 in the future. I'm also hoping the A45 will feel better on my back than the A30 I returned (I only have an 18" torso, so may have just been the design). More power to you for going with the S22. Not something I'm up to trying, especially if some cold weather gear gets thrown into the mix.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    I'm moving in the minimalist direction, after doing a backpacking trip with some serious ultra light backpackers. In this case I need to carry both warm weather gear (Delhi) and cold weather gear (Gangotri/Gomukh), plus a quilt and a separate frameless pack to use for an overnight trek, plus some other out of the ordinary stuff. DIY laundry will also be problematic for most of this particular trip. I would still have considered trying it with the Synik 30, but it would have been very tight, even with the extra EDC bag I plan to bring. Plus, unless Countron blessed me, the S30 is not shipping soon enough. I'm still hoping to under pack the A45 I just bought. I went A45 since there's not much of a weight penalty, and I'm still expecting to get an S30 in the future. I'm also hoping the A45 will feel better on my back than the A30 I returned (I only have an 18" torso, so may have just been the design). More power to you for going with the S22. Not something I'm up to trying, especially if some cold weather gear gets thrown into the mix.
    Living in a place that has a - in my opinion - cold winter season (we get snow and ice, and I don't like cold seasons generally) - I can say as much about winter gear:
    - layering in a sensible way... for example when I know I'm travelling in regions / or seasons where cold climate can occur, I pack a set of light weigh thermal sports long underwear... these go long miles for adding temperature comfort.
    - a rain lightweight rain jacket and rain pants will act as a sometimes neeed protection from the harsh wind. Both are the Mountain hardwear ozonic stretch models... these are rather (almost-)ultra lightweight, extremly stuffable but highly breathable and verstaile items that are also very comfortable.
    - a very stuffable "down" jacket (it's the nanopuff from patagonia) acts as a warm jacket and a merino long sleeve as an added base layer...)
    - a good wooly "burglar beanie" type hat helps with your head (apparently the human body looses most of its heat up there )

the rest stays the same... I can easily fit that & regular stuff in a 25ltr. pack.

If sink washing / etc isn't an option for doing laundry though on your trip, I can see how a minimalistic approach could be uncomfortable

yeah, the temperatures in india can really vary vastly ... very intriguing country to travel though, including the fantastic food and the amazing sensory overload

Also I'm a huge fan of making do with what you have.. so make that A45 do the trick...
    and enjoy your trip - sounds like a fantastic plan.