Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadet vs. Pilot: storing thermos / water bottle

So I am getting a new work bag/EDC and I picked up both the Cadet and Pilot to see which one I like better in person. I generally carry my laptop (13Ē MacBook Pro), notebook, pens, maybe a book or two, lunch, and a thermos/water bottle. Often both. I drink a lot of water (and a lot of coffee) - Iím a college professor after all.

I really like the Pilotís dedicated water bottle/thermos holder, but it creates drawbacks - specifically the two side pockets. I prefer the single pocket like the Cadet has in this case, which makes it feel more professional and less like luggage.

With this in mind, is there a way to secure a thermos inside the Cadet? Which will work better for carrying around a water bottle?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to a discussion with pics of a cadet-https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/13327-water-bottle-cadet-also-considering-pilot.html

I know some folks use a stuff sack or yarn sack clipped to an o-ring to hold a bottle (especially if condensation is an issue). Or depending on your bottle, just a carabiner or key strap through a loop part of the bottle top to attach it to an o-ring.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    Here's a link to a discussion with pics of a cadet https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ing-pilot.html
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried packing the Cadet last night and it actually seems that there will be enough stuff inside that the thermos/water bottle won't tip over. But a carabiner is an interesting approach. Too bad my zojirushi thermos doesn't have anything it can hook to. At least that one is leak-proof (if you close it properly) so even if it falls over it's not a problem...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasl View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried packing the Cadet last night and it actually seems that there will be enough stuff inside that the thermos/water bottle won't tip over. But a carabiner is an interesting approach. Too bad my zojirushi thermos doesn't have anything it can hook to. At least that one is leak-proof (if you close it properly) so even if it falls over it's not a problem...
    You can look around for a sleeve w/carabiner attached, similar to this (don't know if this would fit):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171MU6V2..._bzv3xbAA0M6W3
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, i've tried both and the Pilot is much better for my use, although I went in thinking the cadet was it.

I still like the Cadet look better, but for actual work use for me, the Pilot kills the Cadet as I'm always on the go, moving from office to office, room to room; Thus the separate pockets of the Pilot give me one for doo-dads, and one for e-gear.

The Pilot's center coffee / umbrella holder (for me) is excellent with one massive complaint: despite the drain hole, the separating fabric between the pockets is mesh so if something spills in the center pocket (or you put a wet umbrella in there), everything in all pockets is getting soaked.

There have been many recommended work-arounds (get a stuff stack!), but for me a design fail is a design fail. That said, I love the Pilot just wish it didn't have that massive downside.

(note the same mesh design fail is in the pockets of the Synapses and probably the Synik)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    The Pilot's center coffee / umbrella holder (for me) is excellent with one massive complaint: despite the drain hole, the separating fabric between the pockets is mesh so if something spills in the center pocket (or you put a wet umbrella in there), everything in all pockets is getting soaked.

There have been many recommended work-arounds (get a stuff stack!), but for me a design fail is a design fail. That said, I love the Pilot just wish it didn't have that massive downside.

(note the same mesh design fail is in the pockets of the Synapses and probably the Synik)
    Thanks so much for posting this. I’m ashamed to admit how much I covet the Pilot but it doesn’t accommodate my work laptop. Knowing this makes me feel a little less bad about that because I carry a bottle with me everywhere and that would really bother me.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this. Iím ashamed to admit how much I covet the Pilot but it doesnít accommodate my work laptop. Knowing this makes me feel a little less bad about that because I carry a bottle with me everywhere and that would really bother me.
    If you have a 13" MBP it will fit in the Pilot. My personal laptop is a 13" MBP and it fits in the Pilot with room to spare. My work laptop is a little bit bigger than the MBP and it also fits in the Pilot with room to spare. I love the extra room; I can also carry paperwork and library books in my Pilot while carrying a laptop. And the extra space in the front pockets is perfect for all of the little things I need to carry for work. I've never had a problem with the water bottle pocket since I use a Hydroflask or a S'well bottle.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mini caribiner to clip a water bottle to an o-ring in my Truck. It only works with bottles that have a loop for attaching, but you always have to pair the right bottle with the right bag.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    If you have a 13" MBP it will fit in the Pilot. My personal laptop is a 13" MBP and it fits in the Pilot with room to spare. My work laptop is a little bit bigger than the MBP and it also fits in the Pilot with room to spare. I love the extra room; I can also carry paperwork and library books in my Pilot while carrying a laptop. And the extra space in the front pockets is perfect for all of the little things I need to carry for work. I've never had a problem with the water bottle pocket since I use a Hydroflask or a S'well bottle.
    yup, my 13" MBP and my 15" dell both fit with cache - the pilot is excellent in that it can also be easily emptied, rolled, and compressed into another bag like a WF or synapse - that's how I typically business travel: WF + Synapse, then when I get to my destination i switch from the S25 to the Pilot, then back for flying home.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this. I’m ashamed to admit how much I covet the Pilot but it doesn’t accommodate my work laptop. Knowing this makes me feel a little less bad about that because I carry a bottle with me everywhere and that would really bother me.
    Here's the interior of Pilot's center water bottle / umbrella pocket - still remains bizarre to me they'd think to put a drain hole there, but have a mesh liner to the other pockets