Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    The Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    104
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Guides Edition Smart Alec

    So, I have this idea. There has been much discussion about the possibility of bringing back the Smart Alec. I personally think this would be smart - it is my favorite Bihn bag. However, I wondered if it was just a small number of people that thought that. Well, tonight I watched an eBay auction for a used black halycon Smart Alec climb past $340. (The final total was $341 - I dropped out of the bidding WELL before that.) If a used bag draws that kind of attention maybe it is time to Tom Bihn to bring it back. Maybe as a Guide's Edition. Think about it. All of the people that never got one would want it and all of the Smart Alec fanatics would need it too because it would be a limited edition. I think this is a no brainer.

    I will keep searching for a black halycon version for myself (if anyone sees one let me know!!!) - but also keep hoping that my idea takes root at headquarters!
    S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/Solar; GES25/Coyote, GES25/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA/Steel, SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Canyon, MCB/Wasabi, MCB/Canyon; LCB Steel/Navy

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    229
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely buy a smart Alec new if offered again, but I'm not into the Guide's Edition vibe, personally. I liked the two tone of the ballistic ones though and think the all black halcyon is good for keeping a low profile when travelling.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum Member panda2mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    139
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAs did not use to be this popular. But recently, every SA that has been put on sale on FB Tom Bihn BST or ebay got snatched up immediately, and sometimes at high prices like the one last night. I think TB needs to bring it back, there is a market for backpacks with minimal pockets/no laptop compartment. I'd buy a SA over Synik or Aeronaut or WF or Tristar any day.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    Northeast US
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loooooove my SA, and don’t plan on parting with it for any reason. BUT... if the fine folks at TB would consider giving the SA the Synik treatment — aka incorporating the same built-in laptop compartment, but leaving the rest pretty much as-is — I think I would buy that in a second. (The internal pocket, though, the one that’s down below in the front of the bag? That I would not miss.)

    And yes, I love the Guide’s Pack aesthetic, so I would be totally down for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    229
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    SAs did not use to be this popular. But recently, every SA that has been put on sale on FB Tom Bihn BST or ebay got snatched up immediately, and sometimes at high prices like the one last night. I think TB needs to bring it back, there is a market for backpacks with minimal pockets/no laptop compartment. I'd buy a SA over Synik or Aeronaut or WF or Tristar any day.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I wonder whether it's the unusual opening style of the main compartment. When I first came across the S.A. I wasn't interested, a top loading backpack with a weird rounded zipped opening did not appeal to me at all. I thought it looked peculiar.
    Then some time after they were discontinued, I saw a second hand black one on eBay and thought I'd give it a try, figuring I could always sell it on if I didn't enjoy it. Found out I loved it!
    Now I wish I had been more daring when they were in production and picked up a coyote or burnt orange one.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    493
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I wonder whether it's the unusual opening style of the main compartment. When I first came across the S.A. I wasn't interested, a top loading backpack with a weird rounded zipped opening did not appeal to me at all. I thought it looked peculiar.
    Then some time after they were discontinued, I saw a second hand black one on eBay and thought I'd give it a try, figuring I could always sell it on if I didn't enjoy it. Found out I loved it!
    Now I wish I had been more daring when they were in production and picked up a coyote or burnt orange one.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    There’s a coyote smart alec on eBay right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    229
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    There’s a coyote smart alec on eBay right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know, but I'm in the UK

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Share
    London, UK
    Posts
    59
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my SA. A great bag for popping down the shops and chucking a load of stuff into. It is my go to bag for days out with kids where I just need to throw things into. If it had a framesheet, a laptop compartment, and maybe a top quick access pocket it would be my favourite bag. But guess that’s an entire redesign - the SmartNik or SA2

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also love to see a Smart Alec comeback. I would be fine with just a straightforward reissue together with UMP and LMP. If an updated design is a possibility, then I would also like to see a dedicated laptop compartment and full access to the main compartment. I have in mind zippers that start at the top of the bag and come all the way down to the base. Hell, I even have a name for it: the Rolling Stones SA (it would open like a tongue

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •