Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decisions decisions

I think I'm way overthinking this and need help. I need / want an EDC bag. I'm thinking I want either a 12 / 15 or DLBP. I'm leaning towards the 12, that's the size I like. The reason for a backpack is my horrific knees. With a backpack things are centered on my back, not to one side. I'm either using crutches or a cane and need 'balance.'

The question becomes one of the straps. Being a rather well endowed gal straps are a big deal. If they are overly padded and wide well, it just looks awful on. Personally I think I want some minimal strap padding, but not a wide strap.

The next issue at hand is the back of the pack. Its hot where I live, like excessive heat. I'm concerned about the DLBP not having any back padding & it being 'glued' to my back. And the DLBP seems large for me for some reason.

See, way overthinking this. I like the SK also, that could work, maybe? I don't know. Help me out here. I know once I order one item it will lead to 'needing' many more.

Can't wait to see your responses.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol this doesn't sound like over thinking to me! In fact I'd add to these considerations what you want to carry: computer? water bottle? what size and how much?

I have an L15 and my sister has a DLBP. Both of us are US size 14, hourglassy. The straps on both bags are comfortable on both of us, and don't look bulky. The DLBP does seem big, but the L15 isn't exactly petite and dainty either. Still, I really really like how sleek and streamlined the L15 is.

In terms of sweat, I've discovered the L15 is comfortable as long as my shirt covers my whole back and there's fabric between my skin and the ballistic nylon. In a low back top, the nylon against my skin starts to feel slimey. Easy to avoid, tho.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll always have water with me. Sometimes a bottle, sometimes something a little bigger. I'll never carry a computer. Just glasses cases, phone, charger, earbuds, etc. Just the normal EDC stuff.

Love it, hourglassy - I can so totally relate. Nope not a fan of ever feeling slimey either!! But making certain your shirt is pulled down fixes that problem for sure.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A DLBP has been my EDC for the last 5 years or so. A couple of insights based on what you said...

- The DLBP is not nearly as large as you think. It can hold a lot (IMO more than the Synapse 19 depending upon how you carry/pack) but it has a very streamlined design and is super lightweight, so it fits close to my body. It doesn't stick out like a turtle shell either. Very nice design!

- My typical DLPB carry is a TC, binoculars, small Maxpedition pouch, water bottle, sketchbook and a few odds and ends like lip balm, keys, etc. And that's about the DLBP max hold. Again, it's not a big bag.

- Because of utter lack of padding, it's the pits with a laptop (when I carry my laptop, I tote it in a separate bag) but since you don't carry one, that's not an issue.

- The DLBP straps aren't padded but SUPER comfortable on me. I can easily wear my DLPB all day. However, I only wish I was well endowed. I'm just average height, weight, and other sizes, but my shoulders are wide so straps that curve inward like on the Synapse aren't nearly as comfortable on me as the DLBP.

- Yeah, the DLPB can get hot on your back. Our average summer temps rarely go higher than the low 80s, so it's not an issue where I live (and I'm middle aged so I get hot very easily, if you know what I mean) but I've noticed a sticky back when we travel to warmer areas, especially when heat is combined with concrete jungles.

- Because it lacks padding, I have to pack my DLBP to avoid getting stuck in the side or back with something I'm carrying. Now that I'm accustomed to doing this, it's a no-brainer but still something to consider. I usually put my sketchbook, a folder, or my laptop if I'm chancing it in the DLBP into the back interior pocket to protect my back from a lumpy carry.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Tonya; 08-11-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: fix typos

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I'd go with the L12. The DLBP is also great, but the water bottle holder, padded straps, and smaller size make it the winner.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any backpack will get hot in warm weather. One consideration is that the Luminary 12, if you can manage all your things in it, covers less surface area so it may feel a little better. I am personally very fond of that backpack. I find that when I carried it earlier this summer, I would switch back and forth between holding it in my hand and wearing it on my back to deal with the heat buildup.

The Luminary vs. DLBP straps are quite different, so you may have to try both to see what works for you.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heaviest item I carry in my L15 is my drink, and I'm glad it can be carried centered in the main compartment in the bag. I'm not going the knock the shoulder straps on the DLBP, but the shoulder pads on the Luminary are quite awesome...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I think the decision is clear - order everything and figure it out! I guess its good I know what I don't want.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On weekends, I carry the L12. My minimal load is Nik Minimalist wallet, car fob, large eyeglasses case (for large-lens sunglasses), 16 oz water bottle, and iPad Pro. All of this would easily fit into a SCB but I like a little extra room in the L12 in case I'm out shopping and want to slip purchases in main compartment. I've unzipped the water bottle holder from the back of the pack. There's room for a taller water bottle but I haven't experimented with one because I don't need it.

The L12 is so light and it can't be heavily packed like the larger bags so the straps are more than sufficient for me.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a DLBC to use as a boarding bag (aka personal bag) and day bag when also using a backpack for my “onebag” carry on. The DLBC is 8 liters and I find that is all I really want to carry all day with a single cross body strap. It is unabashedly my man purse.

Getting an a plane I might have it loaded more heavily with all my electronics, book, notebook and anything I want access to during the flight. In day bag mode it is loaded with phone, point and shoot camera, small power bank, sunglasses, sunscreen, ultralight wind jacket and a small water bottle, map and guidebook. The bag is soft enough in the Halcyon fabric to wrap my hip and ride close in buses, subways and crowds where a backpack is less secure and I end up waking with the backpack on one strap and under my arm anyway.

A backpack is great for wilderness hikes where I take more gear, food and water. I like a 22+ liter pack for that, which would be overkill in an urban environment.

So if you are just carrying a couple pounds, the DLBC is a good choice; otherwise it’s backpack time. If you want a more vertical bag, look at the Cafe series.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemom View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think the decision is clear - order everything and figure it out! I guess its good I know what I don't want.
    Be careful! You may end up keeping all. Been there done that.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I don't think having them all would be a bad thing, except on the wallet. Oh, I could get a wallet. Oh dear, this is getting out of hand.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemom View Post
    LOL, I don't think having them all would be a bad thing, except on the wallet. Oh, I could get a wallet. Oh dear, this is getting out of hand.
    I was not high on a Nik wallet — until I bought one. Even then, at first I didn’t like it. Now I love it because of how compact it is!
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.