Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full Ballistic Synik 22 in Black/Cloud for me.

The S19 is basically my perfect travel bag but sometimes I need to carry a laptop or sometimes I wish I had just a smidge more space and I find the S25 a little unwieldy. Hoping the SN22 fits the gap nicely.

It should come just in time for me to get a few test packs in and then go on my big trip to Southeast Asia! Last year I managed just fine with the S19 but it'll be good to have a little breathing room for souvenirs.

San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Navy Parapack! For the history of the fabric and the fact that its unique!

I was on the fence getting this for travelling.. This backpack has been named a "daddy pack" etc.. and these days you have a new travel backpack coming out of kickstarter every week! There's hundreds of them..

I think most bags out there cannot go through generations.. and if Tom Bihn was going to design a new backpack every time the wind changes in the fast fashion industry.. it would be hard to keep the "tried and true" designs that you're getting with Tom Bihn! And this backpack will be back in fashion soon.. ! :-)

Blue because it stands out against ALL BLACK travel backpacks out there..

I don't have kids but are looking forward to join the "daddy club".

I mostly use wheels when I travel these days to save my frail shoulders.. however... its good to have a larger backpack for those occasions!
    Last edited by zuyzuy; 08-13-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    Proud owner of: Brain Bag (Saphire), Synapse (Nordic Dyneema) and Aeronaut (Steel Dyneema)

"What Would You Do If Money Were No Object?" Alan Watts

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SN 30 in black / coyote. I previously owned an S25 in black / canyon and this was as close to that as was available. I only sold that one because the straps just didnít work for me.

Nearly went blue Parapack but Iíd like to get the Guidepack someday and that should be enough Parapack for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billthecat View Post
    Ordered the Synik 30 in black parapack / steel parapack. Oh, god, what have I done. $$$
    I giggled when I saw your post because I felt the same way several years ago when I purchased my first TB bag. I'm constantly outdoors in all types of weather so I'm rough on my stuff. Muck boots last me approximately 3 months, but my TB pack still looks nearly new. Okay there's some staining but no rips, tears, or even worn spots... and we have extremely rough, rocky terrain. Plus, this pack has been with me on numerous road trips including sandy beaches and big cities.

I've tried saving a few bucks in the past, and those packs didn't last me a year. When I've looked at other brands of USA-based, well-made packs, I discovered that I'd pay the same as or LOTS more than a TB bag. I'm super frugal because we're a family of four on one income. I drive a 15 year old vehicle, but I pay for TB bags. When function and durability is considered, I don't think that you can beat the price of Tom Bihn. Smilie Hope this eases your mind, and I really hope you get years of wonderful use from that bag. Welcome to TB!
    Last edited by Tonya; 08-13-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fix wording errors

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkasu View Post
    Pretty much the same story here. I just ordered an S30 in Deep Blue/Iberian. It's also my 2nd TB bag (Aeronaut 45.) I also got some extra accessories; a set of packing cubes and a stuff sack for my A45. I'm from overseas and international shipping is always a bit expensive so I usually bundle as much as possible.
    Welcome to the Forums @mkasu - hope you enjoy your new Synik 30
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    My birthday is October as well but it will be a slightly belated present since they say end of month and I'm the 6th.
    Well better late than never, and happy early birthday! Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Direct link to Chase Reeves talking about the Parapack material (skip to 1 minute 40 seconds if it doesn't automatically).
    Thanks! I was on the fence about my color selection (I knew I wanted the S30) and this pushed navy parapack over the top for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post

This will be my first Tom Bihn bag, so now I'll have to research what organizational bags to get with the Synik 30. I ordered a Cache 15A for my Lenovo Y540 15.6" gaming laptop. I'd like to get a packing cube for clothes (haven't determined which one yet), and a 3D Organizer Cube for valuables -- an idea taken from bartleby's review.
    I'm happy to discover how helpful this community is. Thanks to all of the reviewers who gave their thoughts and posted photos!
    The snake charmers are great in the front lower pocket. I use one for all of my cables and chargers.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22/30 Pre-orders are Live!

Quote Originally Posted by mkasu View Post
    Pretty much the same story here. I just ordered an S30 in Deep Blue/Iberian. It's also my 2nd TB bag (Aeronaut 45.) I also got some extra accessories; a set of packing cubes and a stuff sack for my A45. I'm from overseas and international shipping is always a bit expensive so I usually bundle as much as possible.
    Do you plan on using both the S30 and A45 when traveling? I like the idea of an A45 but am just not sure where it would fit into my travel needs.

That combo looks nice! Which packing cubes did you get? I decided to try out an A45 laundry and A30 large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    How about Nebulous for the Synik, and add an Aubergine accessory like a Side Effect or Travel Cubelet? Smilie (My own Synik 22 is Nebulous/Island, but I have plenty of other Aubergine things.)
    Ooooh delicious enablement! I have been eyeing both of those accessories closely as well Heart Eyes I have them both in my wishlist, in fact... I was going to come back to the question of what other lovely things to buy to save on international postage a bit later in the pre-order window, when I can ponder it a while longer, as well as save up some more cash Smilie

(Especially as I'm in the process of buying a flat right now, so I shouldn't *really* be buying lovely new TB things at all, except I've been desperately needing a new backpack for about a year now, with desperation increasing over the last 6 months, so I'm just going to make it work/put this on my credit card and not have to actually *pay* for a month or so/treat myself to a birthday present, as it'll be arriving around the right time Big Grin)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmavescence View Post
    *bites nails* I'm so torn between Neb Grey/Dawn and Aubergine/NW Sky! I was hoping the answer would become suddenly clear to me when they went live if I hadn't naturally come to a conclusion already, but I still don't knooooow! EEK!

I originally wanted a grey bag for my EDC, and neb grey fits the bill for me perfectly. Having used a "caribbean blue" Farpoint Osprey daypack for the last few years I was definitely going for something a bit more subtle that would go with everything I was wearing, and would be appropriate in every context, whether in a work/professional setting or otherwise.

But the aubergine is just so goddamn gorgeous, and it's so hard to resist! I've pored over all the reviews and the more I see the more I want it... but that seems to apply for the neb grey as well, and every time I feel like I've decided on one or the other, that little voice reminds me of how nice the other one is and how much I want that too!

I've wanted something in aubergine for as long as I've known of Tom Bihn (since around the start of this year), and it probably *will* go with almost everything I'm wearing, apart from maybe something like the wrong purple Wink And it's still darker/more muted than the bright turquoisey bag I have now (which does often clash with my clothes if they're in a different shade of blue or turquoise... not sure if I should take heed of this and realise there can be clashing purples as well as clashing blues!)...

I don't know! I don't know if I'm asking for someone to talk me into or out of the aubergine, but if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them Smilie
    Can you order both and decide once you see them in person? If not - go for the aubergine!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the black Halcyon! Already have a Synapse 25 in 525BN, looking forward to the Synik 30; counting down the days!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the 22 in Mars Red along way too many other things. I already got my shipping confirmation though, and it says

"All items from order # have now been shipped"

Does this mean the Synik was included? EEK!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    My thought on this is what you will be wearing it with. My favorite winter coat is a deep royal plum color, and it clashes HORRIBLY with Aubergine. For this reason, my primary carry backpacks are black or gray.
    That is a very good point... I usually default to black accessories in general for that reason (boots, small leather crossbody handbag, etc), just so I don't have to faff about changing things around depending on my outfit (that way madness lies for me, and forgetting/losing important things/becoming even more late when trying to leave the house... messing with my autopilot is a bad thing!). The bright caribbean blue backpack I've been using lately is a perfect colour for travel when it's paired with the 70L big brother for being spotted on a baggage carousel, but completely annoying day to day, when it tends to either clash with my clothes, or look almost too matchy-matchy (which I hate), and still be slightly off.

I'm currently between winter coats though so I don't have a baseline to work from there. My last one was a very similar colour to the aubergine, but a bit more red toned in the plum. That would be a bit too much purple overload I think (and not in the good way!), and the similar-but-clashed thing did irritate me when I wore the coat last year with something like a dark berry coloured dress. The coat doesn't fit anymore due to weight gain (nor, alas, does my wonderful long purple pixieish hoodie, which is the other larger clothing item potentially liable to clash with an aubergine Synik, though I'll be hanging on to that for hopefully a future weight shift in the other direction Smilie, so at least that's not a confounding factor. I really need to buy a new coat this year though and I'm definitely ready for a colour change for a while, so am probably looking at a black/charcoal/grey coat this year, or perhaps a dark bottle green... *probably* not aubergine clashing, anyway.

The Aubergine Synik would definitely work better with my mid-season coat that I'd managed to forget about until now, which is a coolish toned neutral beige ("clay")... which is definitely making the case for aubergine again, just when I thought I was leaning towards neb grey! The neb grey isn't terrible with the coat, and would probably look better if not in competition with the aubergine, but it's not the best... it's almost looping around again to the safety choice of black (which would at least open up the option of the rather appealing parapack...), but I think that's the sort of compromise choice that isn't going to make either side of me happy! As a sign of how much I'm overthinking this, I've slapped some screenshots together so I can see the colours in close proximity and ponder!

Synik 22/30 Pre-orders are Live!-synik-aubergine-neb-clay-trench-png

My clothes are generally shades of green/teal/purple/blue/navy/black/grey, so there is definite potential for aubergine clash, along with potential for providing excellent colour combos too... so think I'm going to ponder it some more on my way home from work, then examine my wardrobe in person and see if the answer becomes clearer!

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement/suggested options so far (and for everyone sharing their own Synik joy!) - I think it's slowly helping Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going by the picture you posted, I'd pick Aubergine. Matches better with that coat.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast