Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smc2323 View Post
    I ordered the 22 in Mars Red along way too many other things. I already got my shipping confirmation though, and it says

"All items from order # have now been shipped"

Does this mean the Synik was included?
    No. The Syniks won’t ship until late Oct. It would have been your other items.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I finally joined the grey & blue club. Nebulous/Island was an early favorite. I have a Synapse25 in Cloud, so I know I'll love the deeper, richer grey of Nebulous.

The Ultraviolet liner is my favorite, but was not a pre-order color. I wear blues, teals, pinks, and purples, so finding a travel bag that doesn't clash is a bonus. I was considering Navy, Aubergine, and Nebulous.

The Nebulous/Dawn caught my eye. It was tempting, but I resisted. The Aubergine is enticing, but the blue parapack distracted me.

Ultimately, it came down to the liner colors. Ultraviolet makes me swoon. Since that was not an option, I chose the next best thing. I like a liner that makes it easy to see things inside the bag. Island is such a cheery pop of color, too.

The October delivery date coincides nicely with my birthday, too. Thank you, Tom Bihn, for the most awesome birthday present! elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmavescence View Post
    My clothes are generally shades of green/teal/purple/blue/navy/black/grey, so there is definite potential for aubergine clash, along with potential for providing excellent colour combos too... so think I'm going to ponder it some more on my way home from work, then examine my wardrobe in person and see if the answer becomes clearer!

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement/suggested options so far (and for everyone sharing their own Synik joy!) - I think it's slowly helping
    I like Aubergine a lot (and chose it for my preview Synik), but I think it clashes with some shades, particularly many other purples and reds. Not sure about teal. IMO it goes well with most greens, blues (particularly navy), blacks and greys -- it's sort of about tone rather than the place on the color wheel in some cases. If you want to be safe I'd say to get the Nebulous Gray. I agree that switching backpacks on-the-fly can be a traumatic experience; my rule is that I do that the night before, and even then, there's a chance of forgetting to transfer something vital. The nice thing about Gray is that you can pair it with all kinds of accessories in fun colors.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very good point... I usually default to black accessories in general for that reason (boots, small leather crossbody handbag, etc), just so I don't have to faff about changing things around depending on my outfit (that way madness lies for me, and forgetting/losing important things/becoming even more late when trying to leave the house... messing with my autopilot is a bad thing!). The bright caribbean blue backpack I've been using lately is a perfect colour for travel when it's paired with the 70L big brother for being spotted on a baggage carousel, but completely annoying day to day, when it tends to either clash with my clothes, or look almost too matchy-matchy (which I hate), and still be slightly off.

I'm currently between winter coats though so I don't have a baseline to work from there. My last one was a very similar colour to the aubergine, but a bit more red toned in the plum. That would be a bit too much purple overload I think (and not in the good way!), and the similar-but-clashed thing did irritate me when I wore the coat last year with something like a dark berry coloured dress. The coat doesn't fit anymore due to weight gain (nor, alas, does my wonderful long purple pixieish hoodie, which is the other larger clothing item potentially liable to clash with an aubergine Synik, though I'll be hanging on to that for hopefully a future weight shift in the other direction , so at least that's not a confounding factor. I really need to buy a new coat this year though and I'm definitely ready for a colour change for a while, so am probably looking at a black/charcoal/grey coat this year, or perhaps a dark bottle green... *probably* not aubergine clashing, anyway.

The Aubergine Synik would definitely work better with my mid-season coat that I'd managed to forget about until now, which is a coolish toned neutral beige ("clay")... which is definitely making the case for aubergine again, just when I thought I was leaning towards neb grey! The neb grey isn't terrible with the coat, and would probably look better if not in competition with the aubergine, but it's not the best... it's almost looping around again to the safety choice of black (which would at least open up the option of the rather appealing parapack...), but I think that's the sort of compromise choice that isn't going to make either side of me happy! As a sign of how much I'm overthinking this, I've slapped some screenshots together so I can see the colours in close proximity and ponder!

Attachment 23167

My clothes are generally shades of green/teal/purple/blue/navy/black/grey, so there is definite potential for aubergine clash, along with potential for providing excellent colour combos too... so think I'm going to ponder it some more on my way home from work, then examine my wardrobe in person and see if the answer becomes clearer!

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement/suggested options so far (and for everyone sharing their own Synik joy!) - I think it's slowly helping
    I have the Pop Tote in Nebulous Gray and it goes with everything.
    But aubergine is gorgeous too.
    What about inside colour, are there any you are particularly drawn to? You'll be seeing a lot of it in this style of bag, so I think it's important to love both the outside and inside colour if possible!
    If you prefer a muted colour lining, north west sky is great, very calming. Dawn is a lavender colour which might appeal given your favourite clothing colours. Wasabi is a light lime green which I quite like for larger bags.
    If you prefer a bright lining, then you have the option of bright red or bright blue with the grey outer.

I picked on lining this time, had to be coyote

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bites nails* I'm so torn between Neb Grey/Dawn and Aubergine/NW Sky! I was hoping the answer would become suddenly clear to me when they went live if I hadn't naturally come to a conclusion already, but I still don't knooooow!

I originally wanted a grey bag for my EDC, and neb grey fits the bill for me perfectly. Having used a "caribbean blue" Farpoint Osprey daypack for the last few years I was definitely going for something a bit more subtle that would go with everything I was wearing, and would be appropriate in every context, whether in a work/professional setting or otherwise.

But the aubergine is just so goddamn gorgeous, and it's so hard to resist! I've pored over all the reviews and the more I see the more I want it... but that seems to apply for the neb grey as well, and every time I feel like I've decided on one or the other, that little voice reminds me of how nice the other one is and how much I want that too!

I've wanted something in aubergine for as long as I've known of Tom Bihn (since around the start of this year), and it probably *will* go with almost everything I'm wearing, apart from maybe something like the wrong purple And it's still darker/more muted than the bright turquoisey bag I have now (which does often clash with my clothes if they're in a different shade of blue or turquoise... not sure if I should take heed of this and realise there can be clashing purples as well as clashing blues!)...

I don't know! I don't know if I'm asking for someone to talk me into or out of the aubergine, but if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them
    If only to balance out the rampant auberginephilia of this thread, I'm just going to say that in the same way that people say that Aubergine is less, um, demonstrative IRL, some grays are much richer and warmer and more interesting than others. I can't speak to Nebulous Gray bc I don't have a bag in that, but I think my gray Cordura bags are beautiful and not a compromise at all. I think because of the wide color selection it's easy to dismiss neutral colors as safe or boring (and I'll admit that's how I feel about black), but I feel like TB puts the same effort into color that they do with everything else, and every photo I've seen of Nebulous Gray bears that out. Nobody's going to see it and say "What a boring, noncommital person." They're going to say "I am weirdly intrigued by that richly-colored backpack that looks like a squared-off T. Rex egg." (Unless you're standing next to someone with a Mars Red, in which case, yes, you'll be the boring one.) Just a pitch for the virtues of gray!

P.S. Thank you for spelling "pored" correctly; I've seen it misspelled so often that at first I thought you had misspelled it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by improvised View Post
    P.S. Thank you for spelling "pored" correctly; I've seen it misspelled so often that at first I thought you had misspelled it.
    I had to reread the first post to find the usage and then had to ponder a bit... I'm fairly certain I've never written it in my life, only verbalized, so I don't know which spelling I would have come up with... and of course it made me question the etymology so I had to go look it up
    Jeeez, there goes my productivity

But at least I'll probably spell it correctly if it ever comes up

https://grammarist.com/spelling/pore-over-pour-over/
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bites nails* I'm so torn between Neb Grey/Dawn and Aubergine/NW Sky! I was hoping the answer would become suddenly clear to me when they went live if I hadn't naturally come to a conclusion already, but I still don't knooooow!

I originally wanted a grey bag for my EDC, and neb grey fits the bill for me perfectly. Having used a "caribbean blue" Farpoint Osprey daypack for the last few years I was definitely going for something a bit more subtle that would go with everything I was wearing, and would be appropriate in every context, whether in a work/professional setting or otherwise.

But the aubergine is just so goddamn gorgeous, and it's so hard to resist! I've pored over all the reviews and the more I see the more I want it... but that seems to apply for the neb grey as well, and every time I feel like I've decided on one or the other, that little voice reminds me of how nice the other one is and how much I want that too!

I've wanted something in aubergine for as long as I've known of Tom Bihn (since around the start of this year), and it probably *will* go with almost everything I'm wearing, apart from maybe something like the wrong purple And it's still darker/more muted than the bright turquoisey bag I have now (which does often clash with my clothes if they're in a different shade of blue or turquoise... not sure if I should take heed of this and realise there can be clashing purples as well as clashing blues!)...

I don't know! I don't know if I'm asking for someone to talk me into or out of the aubergine, but if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them
    I read through your post twice. Go with your heart. I felt the Aubergine coming through in the end. Either way, you’ll be good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    No. The Syniks won’t ship until late Oct. It would have been your other items.
    A few Syniks may ship early! Though even so, it's probably too early for any Syniks to have shipped. See the Pre-Order FAQ--here's the relevant bit:

I placed a pre-order and it shipped earlier than expected! Nice. How’d that happen?

You received one of the few PPB bags available — congratulations.

A pre-production batch (PPB) of any new design will be ordered and completed by our production department prior to the new design being offered for pre-order.

The PPB is intended to:

Serve as the first large-scale test of the efficiency of manufacturing the new design.
    Provide photo, review and employee loaner sample bags.
    Ship a small quantity of bags to a randomized selection of customers who place orders for the first pre-order batch. This will allow folks to post reviews and first thoughts / photos of a new design, which in turn may help other people decide whether a bag is right for them or not.
    Please note that the design itself is tested and every detail finalized and approved by Tom, Nik, Lisa, and Fong long before the PPB is ordered. PPB bags are in no way “beta” or incomplete.

There is no way to request or reserve a PPB bag. Once the pre-order window is over, we will randomly select orders from the first pre-order batch and fulfill those orders with PPB bags. If your order is selected, we will email you with a heads-up a few days before we plan to ship your order. So, no need to rush to place your pre-order, as this is not first come, first serve.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    A few Syniks may ship early! Though even so, it's probably too early for any Syniks to have shipped. See the Pre-Order FAQ--here's the relevant bit:
    Ooooooooohhhhh!!!!
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't resist the siren call of the Synik 30, ordered one in Black 525 / Island 210, just like my existing S25.

I wanted an exterior color that would match anything, and also I've been dreaming of building a Black / Island collection of bags..

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roychen View Post
    Couldn't resist the siren call of the Synik 30,
    Greetings,
    Between the siren call and the TARDIS Effect, resistance is futile!

I'm mixing tv series here and my geek is showing, so I'll show myself out. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, the SN22s are already sold out? That is truly impressive.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, glad I didn’t wait a day to think more on the purchase. I was on the website right when the email hit my Inbox.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s still hope since they’re crunching numbers to see if they can release/make more bags. Sign up for the possible 8/15 release date if you missed out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy canoli. I talked my sister into a synik 30 but it's already sold out, too!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast