Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    You can add me to the list of those who like Burnt Orange with Northwest Sky!
    Same here! I do hope no one I come across with gets sick seeing the combo though

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like NWS too! ItĎs one of my favourite interior colors on offer at the moment, together with Cloud and Dawn. I also liked Steel. And I think NWS is a very versatile color and goes with everything (yes, even Burnt Orange, although Iím not fond of orange in general). I donít want the insides of my bag to be in bright and loud colors. I can always buy a colourful OP if I want more color. Itís the same in interior decorating, I love a bright pink throw pillow on my sofa but I would never paint my walls pink. There have been lots of color combinations at TB over the years which I would have never bought, but I think itís great that thereís so much choice (and change). That way everyone has the chance to find some color combination they really like.

And I think itís very important to have seen colors and fabrics in real life before you judge color combinations. In my experience some combinations that seem obvious pairings donít work at all in real life, and some surprise you. Not all greys or greens go together. What makes me personally wince for example is seeing people pairing very warm and cool tones together just because itís the same color. Or very bright and very muted tones. Green is not green and blue is not blue. I personally think the values of brightness, depth and warmth complimenting each other is way more important than staying in a color group.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't actually seen NW Sky in person so it may be unfair for me to judge. It is so neutral (bland) that I'm sure it does in fact go with just about anything, but I personally would not like it with certain colors like Verde or Orange. Looks better with Red or Navy to me. But in my mind all I can see is the old grey Samsonite luggage my parents had in the 60s! And I had no idea some people find Island boring! Wish I had known that before I bought my Black / Island A45 yesterday!

I've been lurking for about 3 years and just now bought the A45. Part of that is because I haven't needed that type of bag for my recent travels. Another part is researching and discovering all the competing bag makers. Yet another part was deciding what size I really wanted/needed and what features were important to me (when I started, I was just looking for an ancillary smaller bag with hideaway shoulder straps and a roller bag strap). But another large part is a certain frustration with the color choices, particularly with the interior colors. I missed on a Navy/Monarch A30 3 years ago and never recovered!

After that miss , I'd go through a phase of deciding on a bold outside color like Orange, only to discover that it was always paired with NW Sky. Where are Solar or Steel when you need them! For my new A45, I might have gone Aubergine / Island, had it been available. I go back and forth on whether to have a bold outside color, so I can live with black, but I must have some color on the inside (wow, this is starting to be very psychologically revealing!).

Now that we've proven that color preferences are totally subjective, I still want to know if TB has a design philosophy when it comes to color, and/or how much sales analytics influence their decisions. I get the sense their color choices are pretty much seat of the pants, and then once they make up their minds things get set in stone for awhile, while they work through their batches of materials. I'm still wondering if TB could mix up the combos a bit more often (and do better with the bag photos).

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From prior post, I've gathered that color choices are limited due to production capacity and storage space, but I'm sure sales metrics fuel a lot of it, too. I'm with you - there aren't many colors I don't like and I enjoy seeing interesting combos. I think the Crew has mentioned here a few times, though, that the most popular combo by far is black/gray, whereas every other variation has its fans and detractors.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that the colour in bag photos isn't just a function of the camera and lighting taking them, it's also a function of your screen, your settings, and your own colour perceptions.

When in doubt, contact TB for a free fabric swatch in the material/weight you're thinking (or worried) about. It's not the same as seeing a full bag, but it's better than anything seen on a computer screen.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay extra to choose Olive exterior and Zest interior (Its a fantasy I know). But I've always wondered if TB picked one or two bags, and then made exterior and interior fabrics precut and staged (done while making other bags), would that work, considering maybe a $50 premium could be charged? I'm not questioning TB's reasoning and business decisions. Its just more a hypothetical business question, wondering if it could be fiscally sound? I get waste potentials are amplified, considering their business philosophy of being the opposite of wasteful...

...my wallet is happy this option doesn't exist.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we need to crowdfund a 'custom' employee for tom bihn,lol.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some color combos I'd love:

- Mars Red combined with solar or zest.
    - Navy with green (grass or maybe a mint), azalea or turquoise.
    - Chocolate brown combined with mint green, zest, or solar.
    - Aubergene with solar, zest, or mint green.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I love about Tom Bihn bags is the variety of colors available, often in very fun combinations. I'm very sad that I've missed out on Solar, Monarch, Zest, Fjord and other colors.

I have to say that I would have absolutely ordered a bag that was Burnt Orange/Island or Deep Blue/Monarch. I love orange and grey so Burnt orange/Northwest Sky is pretty great but orange and blue is great.

I'd love to see more yellow in the line up. I love Wasabi but Solar looked gorgeous as well.
    Synapse 19 (Burnt orange/Steel) | Side Kick (Deep blue/Wasabi) | Side Effect (Nordic/Wasabi) | Travel Cubelet (Burnt orange/Northwest sky)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeaAbe View Post
    One of the things I love about Tom Bihn bags is the variety of colors available, often in very fun combinations. I'm very sad that I've missed out on Solar, Monarch, Zest, Fjord and other colors.

I have to say that I would have absolutely ordered a bag that was Burnt Orange/Island or Deep Blue/Monarch. I love orange and grey so Burnt orange/Northwest Sky is pretty great but orange and blue is great.

I'd love to see more yellow in the line up. I love Wasabi but Solar looked gorgeous as well.
    Welcome to the Forums!

Orange and blue is a cool colour combo. Colours change slowly over time, so you never know what might come up in the future.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeaAbe View Post
    There was never a Burnt Orange/Island combination to my knowledge, but they made the Little Swift in Nordic Halcyon (Blue)/Monarch. You might come across this, as I’ve seen some of these rehomed.

Welcome to the forums.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome!

I'm really excited to see what the new Halycon colors will be. I'm glad TB continues to have fun with colorways and I would love to see more internal colors beyond Northwest Sky. I do like that fabric quite a bit but I'd also like to see others have their day too!
    Synapse 19 (Burnt orange/Steel) | Side Kick (Deep blue/Wasabi) | Side Effect (Nordic/Wasabi) | Travel Cubelet (Burnt orange/Northwest sky)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is such a fascinating topic and a great idea for a thread! I'm thinking it could make a good blog post, too.

I remember as a kid trying to contemplating or trying to imagine a color I'd never seen before, and that naturally led to questions and contemplations around perception. Reading through this thread, it strikes me that we are seeking shared experience around our individual perceptions of color: ranging from how our eyes and brains interpret wavelengths of light and take them in as color to what pairings of colors are pleasing or harmonious. We want to see the same thing, but it's possible that we're all seeing different variations, even if those are just slight variations. (Sorry... you said philosophy!)

I'd sum up our color philosophy as:

Experiment with new colors and color combinations
    Don’t be afraid of color
    Get inspiration everywhere: a sweater, a leaf, the sky, a meal
    Don’t be afraid of making color “mistakes”
    Choose colors with a spirit of play
    Ground that play in knowing what is most popular
    Listen to feedback; from staff, customers, friends, family, random people
    Palette-wise, choose wider variety over total harmony
    Accept the retirement of existing colors to make room for new colors

As for color accuracy in photos: I agree there's room for improvement here, paired with the usual caveats that even with improvement, color will appear different to different people based on their own internal goings-ons paired with external factors (monitor, the light in the environment, etc.) It surprises even me how often I'll order something online and the in-person color looks to be quite different than the color I saw on my screen... even from big companies, who you'd think have this kind of thing aced. Likely the biggest opportunity for our own improvement in this regard is in switching our studio photography lights and setup to a different type, and we'll be working on that late this year/into next.

Reports/analytics: Well.... if we didn't pay attention to stuff like what in particular is purchased and is therefore popular, I'm not sure if we'd still be around! I can't imagine there are many businesses who do not run reports or look at analytics... it's interesting to do so at the least. And it can be especially useful in tracking which colors, fabrics, and color and fabric combinations are the most popular.

Feedback is important and can't be underestimated here. Reports and our experience/intuition can lead us to guess whether a new shade of a color or a particular color combination will be popular or not, but that's not the whole story. External circumstances change: maybe red wasn't popular in the past, but for some reason, it will be now. Our experience can limit us: maybe a Forest ballistic way back when wasn't that popular, but it would be now because there are more people who buy our bags who like a wide variety of colors. You guys give us feedback and that can push us to try something different, something new, or even try something again that didn't work in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    I'd pay extra to choose Olive exterior and Zest interior (Its a fantasy I know). But I've always wondered if TB picked one or two bags, and then made exterior and interior fabrics precut and staged (done while making other bags), would that work, considering maybe a $50 premium could be charged? I'm not questioning TB's reasoning and business decisions. Its just more a hypothetical business question, wondering if it could be fiscally sound? I get waste potentials are amplified, considering their business philosophy of being the opposite of wasteful...
    ...my wallet is happy this option doesn't exist.
    We've discussed, debated, and considered various methods of offering custom color combinations or variations on that idea.... our concern, based on how our manufacturing operations currently work, is that it would reduce our overall efficiency. And it'd be a pretty big shift from how we do things now.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We've discussed, debated, and considered various methods of offering custom color combinations or variations on that idea.... our concern, based on how our manufacturing operations currently work, is that it would reduce our overall efficiency. And it'd be a pretty big shift from how we do things now.
    @Darcy — What about a compromise? Maybe 1 or 2 bags in the most popular lines with a color combo voted on by customers?
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    @Darcy ó What about a compromise? Maybe 1 or 2 bags in the most popular lines with a color combo voted on by customers?
    I think it is an interesting idea, but it's one we can't take on right now w/everything else that's in the works (for logistical and person-power reasons.) I'll add to the list of things to try someday though
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast