Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack for a College Student??

My son is finally off to college in a couple of weeks. Very proud moment. Was thinking of getting him a Daylight because he is going to get the e-book versions of all his textbooks and use his iPad to read them and take notes. You all think the Daylight will be a good choice. He wants something small that he can carry his essentials with him all the time. I showed him my Synapse 25 and thinks it might be too big. Thanks in advance!

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGrumpus View Post
    My son is finally off to college in a couple of weeks. Very proud moment. Was thinking of getting him a Daylight because he is going to get the e-book versions of all his textbooks and use his iPad to read them and take notes. You all think the Daylight will be a good choice. He wants something small that he can carry his essentials with him all the time. I showed him my Synapse 25 and thinks it might be too big. Thanks in advance!
    I have a DLBP in Nordic halcyon and it's awesome! I use it for daily carry, as well as, weekend trips. I work from home and once a week my husband and I walk to a local restaurant for breakfast. I carry my 12" macbook, charger, a large notebook, small wallet, small ghost whale and my husband's chromebook without the bag feeling too heavy. The DLBP holds a surprising amount of stuff and the straps stay comfortable.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear. I told him I wanted to buy it for him but he wants to still “look around” before I get it before him. Kids!!!

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear. I told him I wanted to buy it for him but he wants to still “look around” before I get it before him. Kids!!!
    I'm no genius about raising kids, but......Having put three kids through college, I found it really helpful, in hindsight, to nudge them towards independence, a tricky business at best! So, I sense you're on the path of letting him decide, even if it's not a Tom Bihn.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An EDC backpack (or any bag) is a very personal choice. I would let the kid choose one for himself/herself.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree and I appreciate the insight. I will let him get whatever he wants, within reason. I was just hoping to sway him towards Tom Bihn because I’m a little bit biased.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just hoping to sway him towards Tom Bihn because I’m a little bit biased.
    It gets expensive though! My kid started with a ZTSSB. Then a small OP and a mini Q-Kit. Then a TC. Then another ZTSSB, because Dawn! Then a Pilot! He was eyeing my Veridian size 1 TSS and I ripped it out of his hands! So instead, he took the NWS size 2 TSS. "But I need something for my cables when I fly to France..."

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might show him the Luminaries too (both sizes). Depending on what his "essentials" are, either size of Luminary or the Daylight Backpack might be a good choice. But I agree with @Go Navy, it's good to have him choose for himself even if it ends up being some other brand.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I teach college, and the kids all carry much larger, heavier duty bags than the DLBP. I carry an S19, and it's smaller than most of the bags my students carry. If you want to let him appreciate TB bags (AKA spoil him for all other bags), and you can bear to part with your S25 temporarily, I suggest you let him borrow it until fall break, and he'll know by then if he would prefer something smaller (I doubt it).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    You might show him the Luminaries too (both sizes). Depending on what his "essentials" are, either size of Luminary or the Daylight Backpack might be a good choice. But I agree with @Go Navy, it's good to have him choose for himself even if it ends up being some other brand.
    I second this. I just switched my EDC from an S25 to an L15 and I am really enjoying it. It shares similar features to the new Synik - the dedicated tech compartment and edgeless straps. It will hold an iPad with plenty of space for other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s been quite awhile since I was in college, but I do remember using my school bag for weekend stuff too. I second having your son borrow your s25 until he can get a feel for what works for him. Most likely an s19 would be better, but maybe the s25 will be it.

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from a recent student- I wouldn't recommend the DLBP at all for school. Books are heavy and you also need to carry lots of other class-specific tools and a laptop at a minimum. Compartments and organization are key. I used my S19 for a while, but that was on 1 class days when all I needed was one textbook, my small laptop, and a spiral notebook.

I would say the S25 will work quite well, preferably in ballistic. The Synik 30 would also be a good option if his laptop fits in the compartment, or possibly the 22 if something a little smaller is desired. I agree though that it's a very personal choice, especially for school needs, and it should be something that he's equally excited about.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just graduated. The S19 would probably be the smallest you should go. At minimum he’s still going to need a couple notebooks, pencils, the iPad, his phone, earphones, chargers, wallet, water bottle, snacks, sometimes a jacket/change of clothes for the gym, etc.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I was going to suggest the same thing, the "laptop pouch" is perfect for iPads, and I do think the shoulder pads are superior...

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I’m the only one for the DLBP. If he’s only using digital books then he should be fine especially if he has an iPad (especially the Pro) with apps for note taking with the Apple Pencil or an equivalent. Nowadays you can make it so you don’t have to carry a lot for class. I do agree with others regarding letting him borrow your S25 and then see how it goes. I wouldn’t buy him a bag without his input because it is a personal choice.

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast