Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After using my DLBP with strap keepers for 5 days I've got mixed feelings about them. I like how tidy they make the straps on my DLBP but I don't like how my elbows rub against them all of the time. I've moved them down the straps a bit but now they're barely better than using the tri-glide hack (except far easier to install!). With them further down the straps I have strap flapping when I walk.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Ha!
    I had a horrible time with gate keepers originally! Finally sat and stared at one and took a deep breath and asked myself how they could open easier because there was no way TB would inflict something on us that didn't work...
    I love this! I'm glad it led you to figuring out a good way to open them. For me, I think before I owned any bags with Gatekeepers that I wanted to open, I had already read in the Forums how to do it. The part that's hardest for me is getting the fabric out of the way so I can squeeze the Gatekeeper (especially on the Smart Alec LMP).

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    After using my DLBP with strap keepers for 5 days I've got mixed feelings about them. I like how tidy they make the straps on my DLBP but I don't like how my elbows rub against them all of the time. I've moved them down the straps a bit but now they're barely better than using the tri-glide hack (except far easier to install!). With them further down the straps I have strap flapping when I walk.
    The strap keepers did the same thing to me. After trying multiple ways to attach them, I think I've come up with two good solutions that work very well, at least for me.

The first solution is to attach extra straps via the Strap Keeper to the sternum strap. This works well if you often adjust your shoulder straps, because a simple pull removes the extra strapping and then after adjustments are complete, it only takes a second to slide any extra strap back into the Strap Keeper. Though this worked fine for me, I rarely adjust my shoulder straps, but it's a good option.

In the photo below, I've attached the extra strap to the sternum strap the "TB way." The only issue I have with it is that the strap isn't held as securely this way and may easily slip out on its own, which is why I like to wrap the extra strapping around the strap keeper as if I'm making a dangling ball of strap but then also secure it to the sternum strap. However, this makes shoulder strap adjustments a bit more lengthy because you have to fully remove the Strap Keeper to do so, but it does hold things more tightly.

Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?-tb-strap-11-jpg

The latest and greatest solution I've found is to attach the extra strap via the Strap Keeper to the hip belt loop, and it has worked like a charm. Extra strap is out of the way, Strap Keeper is secure, and I don't even notice it here. However, this only works if you don't use the hip belt, which I don't, although you might could figure out a way to use both.

To get the Keeper through the belt loop, I had to fold the non-hook end in half, secure it with a safety pin, and then feed the pin through the loop to get it to slide through, but that took about 2 seconds. This is the way I plan to use the Strap Keepers from here on out.

Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?-tb-strap-21-jpg

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Ha! I had a horrible time with gate keepers originally! Finally sat and stared at one and took a deep breath and asked myself how they could open easier because there was no way TB would inflict something on us that didn't work....
    So
    Gently squeeze top of gate keeper near metal latch
    Push down on the latch whilst still squeezing to let it unhook from the plastic overlap
    and Then let the latch pop up & open
    voila!

Simple in retrospect, but I was brute forcing them originally, thinking it was just my user error
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I love this! I'm glad it led you to figuring out a good way to open them. For me, I think before I owned any bags with Gatekeepers that I wanted to open, I had already read in the Forums how to do it. The part that's hardest for me is getting the fabric out of the way so I can squeeze the Gatekeeper (especially on the Smart Alec LMP).
    This is absolutely hilarious because this is exactly how I don't and can't even open the Gate Keepers. I actually slide the metal hinge back just a tad and allow it to squeeze the Gate Keeper together, and then I quickly pop the hinge over the hook. It only took me about 2 years to figure it out, but this works for me and I ain't messin' with it!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you happen to know the width of the dangling straps on the synapse 25? I don't have mine with me but am trying to hack a clip to secure the dangling straps in the meantime...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradbuck View Post
    Do you happen to know the width of the dangling straps on the synapse 25? I don't have mine with me but am trying to hack a clip to secure the dangling straps in the meantime...
    Welcome to the Forums, @conradbuck! The webbing is 1" wide.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a pair of these and have been using them to tame the annoying extra dangles on the Absolute strap. They are terrific for that. Super easy to install. And I’ve completely forgotten they are even there now. But now I don’t have that extra bit of strap curling down.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the stated goals on the strap keeper web page (not sewn in, minimal hardware), I think they work quite well, especially as a semi-permanent attachment to the ladder-lock area.

If it's a bag that I don't tend to cinch down very far, I just attach the strap keepers to the ladderlock and thread the extra strap through it (like the tri-glide hack).

If there's a lot of extra strap and little space on the ladder lock (like my DLBP), I discovered that I don't like tucking and untucking the strap nor fastening and unfastening the Strap Keeper, so I've settled on the "safety pin the closed Strap Keeper perpendicular to the end of the strap", then roll it up and bundle it close to the length that I like (similar to a Web Dominator).

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a pair of the Strap Keepers last weekend and finally had a chance to attach them to my DLBP. They work like a charm! Easy to attach, slide up and down as needed. Thank you Tom Bihn Crew for sending these for me to try out!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these available anywhere? Would love some for a trip coming up.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacitusKilgore View Post
    Are these available anywhere? Would love some for a trip coming up.
    Not yet! They're still in the testing-and-feedback stage. I really like mine, I'm looking forward to being able to buy a few more pairs.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impressions: I hate to say this, but they look like bra strap hooks Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?. A stretchy piece, hook on one end, loop at the other end.

Before: On a recent cycling/hiking trip, I had the DLBP and you could see the straps dangling, which was a little annoying when cycling.

After: No more dangly straps! I'm surprised at how much I like them. You can hardly tell they are there visually. I kept the hooks on the inner side. Folded the straps longer so they only folded over 5 times and would not look thick.

Previously, I used to use a black hair rubber tie to roll up the end of the straps, but they tend to bump around when I move. Not great when cycling/hiking.

I have no problems putting them on or removing (kinda like putting/removing straps from strapless bras Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?), so gentlemen, get your wives, girlfriends, lady friends for help.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by panda2mama; 09-16-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t had a chance to use these in a real life setting yet, but I think this will be a great fix for me! And I figured out a way to attach them so it’s not quite as visible. It’s not quite as adjustable but I don’t usually adjust much after I load up.
    As soon as I get a turn on the household computer I will try uploading pics since I keep getting an error message with my iPad.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, everyone, for your feedback! We've been reading it as it's been shared with us. Combining the experiences you've shared here, the feedback we've received via email from those who received Synik PPB bags, and our own experience, we've decided that we're ready to offer our Strap Keepers to everyone else.

Here they are:
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/strap-keepers

Part of the reason we decided to offer them for purchase today is.... The Guide's Pack, which has been sold out for a few months now, is once again available for order with the same Edgeless EV50 1/2" Shoulder Strap (made with OEKO-TEX® certified EVAZOTE® foam) as the Synik 22/30, but in Coyote. Going forward, there's also a new style of Guide's Pack Padded Hip Belt -- with two 1-1/2" Gatekeepers instead of the original four 1" Gatekeepers -- for any Guide's Packs purchased after September 2019. Anyway, we're sending out an email newsletter update about that today, and figured it would be good to include the Strap Keepers in the same newsletter so we don't send out two newsletters in one month.

We'd still like to hear your feedback as you continue to use the Strap Keepers... so, as you have it, share it with us!

Note: anyone who pre-ordered the Synik (either Late October or Late November shipping dates) will receive a complimentary pair of Strap Keepers. So, no need to order them if you've got a Synik pre-order.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast