Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update on a Coyote version of the Strap Keepers: there's some hope... Ben tracked down some options and has ordered samples of some Coyote or Coyote-ish versions of the materials. The process of receiving / testing / approving the materials may take a few weeks. I'll post another update when we know one way or another whether the Coyote version will materialize.
    @Darcy, that is great news! Mr. pammy will be delighted to get a pair in Coyote to match his GE S25.

My thanks to the TB Crew who kindly sent me a pair of Strap Keepers to try out. When the invitation to test them was offered, my father-in-law was in the hospital, and even though I meant to email about testing them, I forgot during that week of back and forth to the hospital. Last week I emailed asking if or when they would be made available to purchase and Cody was absolutely wonderful and sent me a pair to try.

Mr. pammy has tried similar style of strap keepers from other companies and his dissatisfaction has been that the strap has been essentially cauterized causing the strap to have a rough edge and, therefore, rubbing unpleasantly or other keepers can be rather bulky. So he was happy to test out these new Strap Keepers.

Instead of rolling up the strap and then wrapping the Strap Keeper around the outside of the strap, he rolled up the Strap Keeper into the strap bundle and then secured it on the backside. This method keeps the Strap Keeper from potentially slipping off and getting lost. Plus it hides the black Strap Keeper quite nicely; you can really only see it from the side, and when wearing the S25, itís really not noticeable. But a Strap Keeper in Coyote would be optimal as it would completely blend in.

Want to help us test a Strap Keeper design?-strap-keeper-1-jpgWant to help us test a Strap Keeper design?-strap-keeper-2-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy and the TB crew were kind enough to provide me a set of the strap keepers for testing. I've been using them on my Brain Bag for the last couple weeks, which has included my daily commute, 5 planes, 2 trains, and several trips on the subway. Overall, the best thing I can say is that I don't notice them. They're low profile, do the job, and the black color disappears into the straps.

A few other comments:
    - For some reason, one of the strap keepers twisted the strap around on the first day. I haven't had that problem since, so I'm not sure what the issue was.
    - Definitely follow TB's suggestion to wrap the strap keeper around one of the fixed straps. When I just checked my bag, I realized the loose strapping had come out, but the strap keepers were still there.
    - These are sized for the 1" webbing common on the backpack straps. Perhaps a second, longer size could be made for use with waist belts?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Instead of rolling up the strap and then wrapping the Strap Keeper around the outside of the strap, he rolled up the Strap Keeper into the strap bundle and then secured it on the backside. This method keeps the Strap Keeper from potentially slipping off and getting lost. Plus it hides the black Strap Keeper quite nicely; you can really only see it from the side, and when wearing the S25, it’s really not noticeable. But a Strap Keeper in Coyote would be optimal as it would completely blend in.
    I showed this to Nik and he says Mr. pammy is a genius -- we'll have to make another video that shows that method.

In other Strap Keeper news, Pack Hacker posted a video overview of them.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a couple of trips with strap keepers on one side of my brain bag and web dominators on the other side. The strap keepers were completely unobtrusive and basically flawless. The web dominators (which I've used for a while) had two different failures during this trip - first one of them just came unhooked (which doesn't happen very frequently, but this wasn't the first time for me) and then another one failed in a way that was new to me - the shock cord came unknotted. I'm not positive, but my best guess is that both of these were just due to getting bumped into and/or snagged on things.

Overall I don't think there's much reason to prefer the web dominators. A+++++++

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: we think we've found a solution that will allow us to make Strap Keepers in Coyote! I expect they'll be available sometime early next year (just in time for Guide's Edition Synapse / Syniks....)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: we think we've found a solution that will allow us to make Strap Keepers in Coyote! I expect they'll be available sometime early next year (just in time for Guide's Edition Synapse / Syniks....)
    Awesome. Guides edition Syniks. I love the way you just drop these things in here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is whether there will be GE S19? I like the colour combi, but I don't need a S25.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the Guide's Edition Syniks also have lash points for an ice axe? You never know with some of these business meetings...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Guide's Edition Smart Alec?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    My question is whether there will be GE S19? I like the colour combi, but I don't need a S25.
    That's a good question. And the answer is... we don't know. It's unlikely, as we haven't received that many requests for a Guide's Edition S19 compared to other sizes, and we do hope to offer the S22 in a Guide's Edition. We're still sorting all of this out!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Will the Guide's Edition Syniks also have lash points for an ice axe? You never know with some of these business meetings...
    Hehe! Yes, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    How about a Guide's Edition Smart Alec?
    We don't have plans to make a run of Smart Alecs anytime soon, but this is noted

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5