Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    lawrence ks
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zip Security for Naples or NYC

Even i have a hard time getting them open
    Last edited by xnykid; 08-30-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnykid View Post
    Even i have a hard time getting them open
    Google "open zipper with pen." Never again will you trust zippers.

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lived in NYC for 12 years and never had issue with someone picking my bags. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this.) I am always aware of where my bags are and how close I am to people.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My low tech solution in crowds is to use an S-biner to clip the zips together. That and tether my wallet go an o-ring. A determined pick-pocket can still get in, but he’s going to have to work for it.

In big crowds, I may substitute a luggage lock for the s-biner.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there are locking s-biners that usually take two hands. This is why I wear a crossbody bag like a Daylight Briefcase. Until I grow eyes out the back of my head, a backpack is always vulnerable--- or ends up on one strap, tucked under my arm and so might as well be a crossbody bag.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Google "open zipper with pen." Never again will you trust zippers.
    Greetings,
    I've seen videos of this. Am I naive in thinking that if I'm wearing the bag, the pen method will not be used on my bag? I want to think that I would notice if that was happening.

Someone once claimed that they would notice if a zipper was being opened while they were wearing their small backpack. It was not a TB bag. It had over five visible zippers. Throughout the day, I opened every zipper. Just for good measure, I attempted to remove an item. As I am not a professional thief, she caught me removing one item, but I had her wallet, her sunglasses, and her keys. Of course, we were both astonished that I was able to do it and she didn't notice while it was happening.

The next day, she challenged me to try the pockets on her jacket. It was more difficult to do it undetected, but by the end of the day I was pretty good at it. I didn't attempt to create a distraction myself, so it was just a matter of waiting for her attention/vigilance to lapse. It was much easier than I thought and opened my eyes to how important it is to keep valuables out of my pockets. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of women carry multi-thousand dollar Hermes bags down the street in Manhattan and no one really cares. I don't think you really need to worry much about locking down zippers on a backpack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pickpockets in NYC are not the problem as they were 30 years ago. I worked with guys were assigned to the elite NYC Transit Police Pickpocket Squad, and we did such a great job overall that that the Pickpocket Squad and other specialized units were disbanded overtime.

This does not mean pickpockets don’t exist, and you might run into the only one working the subways, but the organized pickpockets teams that stole from dozens of commuters a day in Midtown Manhattan have either grown old, are still in jail, "retired", or refocused their energies on other crimes.

Be alert, be aware, follow some basic common sense rules and you should be fine.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binder clips will work as well; take the loops off the spring clip, and loop them through your zippers before putting them back into the clip. Just another reason to carry lots of them in your travel kit.

Zip Security for Naples or NYC-img_8616-jpg
    Last edited by imperator; 09-05-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: A picture is worth a thousand words