Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make waist straps, shoulder straps and key straps optional

For those of you with a variety of TB bags, you would probably be in the same predicament. I have a collection of waist straps and black 8 inch key straps which I never use. And a variety of shoulder straps, some duplicates. This just seems unnecessary and excessive.

It would be great if TB can make these optional, and in the process make the bags more affordable. These straps are on sale separately, and the price can be taken off from the price of the bags.

For shoulder straps, some people prefer certain shoulder straps (whether from TB or not), as opposed to the one given. I prefer coloured key straps to black ones, and would use the padded waist strap instead of the standard one.

Where do you store your straps? The left pocket of my NFTD is full of black waist straps. Key straps (black and coloured) are in the mesh.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I love how you store everything in the Night Flight. Great photo! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    For those of you with a variety of TB bags, you would probably be in the same predicament. I have a collection of waist straps and black 8 inch key straps which I never use. And a variety of shoulder straps, some duplicates. This just seems unnecessary and excessive.
    What kind of straps do you have specifically? Are you trying to get rid of some maybe?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasl View Post
    What kind of straps do you have specifically? Are you trying to get rid of some maybe?
    I would imagine most people have the same. Standard waist straps x5. Multiple black 8" hook-hook key straps. Standard shoulder straps. 5/8" shoulder strap. It only makes sense for me to sell locally, as I am in Singapore.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely in the same boat on both counts: (1) too many shoulder straps that I will never use (e.g. the side kick straps b/c I only ever wanted to use them as pouches--same with the Travel Cubelet), and (2) too many black key straps--that said I do like the longer colored ones and have actually paid for them. I don't actually care as much about the expense--but the waste is actually pretty significant for things that I buy with full knowledge that they will never be used.

Even the tie-downs in the Aeronaut are sitting in a zip lock bag somewhere. And those tie down straps that will eventually come with my Synik 30, I know I won't use...and I hope the Synik doesn't come with a waist strap because that's going to be put aside too and never used too.

A lower price would be nice. Another structure could be an optional "free gift" with $X purchased--key strap or thin Shoulder Strap at $50 for example, where the SideKick/Travel Cubelet comes in, plus a small OP or waist belt or tie downs at $200, which would be relevant for backpacks and above. I suspect some Shopify plugin would support this.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I don't want random freebies. I think everything we buy should be well thought out, to reduce over-consumption.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If price reduction isn't something they would like set precedence, perhaps as and when in the future TB need to do a price increase on the products, they can remove the free straps instead. Just a thought.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I don't use a TB product/accessory/part I give it,
    they are so modular that they are useful by themselves
    just a Bihnion here

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I was just remarking to my husband that a certain photo printing site I have used for many years has switched to nickel-and-diming for everything, like airlines: an extra fee for “premium” printing, extra for “super” lay-flat pages, etc., where before they just had high quality as their standard. So now I feel like they have ruined their quality for the same price.

I don’t want to make everything a la carte at TB. I think they overall do a great job of including the right type and number of accessories with each bag. Charging for key straps and shoulder straps would be for me like charging for shoe laces, when you buy a pair of sneakers. Some people sell their excess straps on eBay, or trade for other accessories. That makes sense to me.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here here! I just received my S22 and removed the interior straps, the waist strap, and the chest strap. They're going in a closet bin with numerous other TB straps including key straps. I hang onto them because I keep thinking that I'll use them one day... but probably not. My family and i do use the key straps, and those often get misplaced or lost, but I wouldn't mind ordering those separately. I would prefer to save the money, for sure! And yes, it would help cut down on unnecessary production along with nonconsumables floating around in our environment. Good point!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased things from websites in the past where once you have an item in your shopping cart, it suggests a corresponding “free gift” that you can choose to add to your cart or leave it out. That way people who do benefit from having those straps come with their order can choose to get them, and people who wouldn’t make use of them don’t waste the material by having them shipped out only to sit in storage or get thrown away.

I immediately removed the chest strap from my Aeronaut because I saw it as counterproductive to quick conversion, and also have many little baggies of zipper toggles that I don’t have any interest in using. If there had been an option at checkout to not ship those things, I would have taken the option to skip it even if the price of the product was not affected.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Where do you store your straps? The left pocket of my NFTD is full of black waist straps. Key straps (black and coloured) are in the mesh.
    Definitely clicked on this thread from the Tapatalk email so that I could look at this image. Absolutely gorgeous color combination that I am just a little jealous of!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    I have purchased things from websites in the past where once you have an item in your shopping cart, it suggests a corresponding “free gift” that you can choose to add to your cart or leave it out. That way people who do benefit from having those straps come with their order can choose to get them, and people who wouldn’t make use of them don’t waste the material by having them shipped out only to sit in storage or get thrown away.

I immediately removed the chest strap from my Aeronaut because I saw it as counterproductive to quick conversion, and also have many little baggies of zipper toggles that I don’t have any interest in using. If there had been an option at checkout to not ship those things, I would have taken the option to skip it even if the price of the product was not affected.
    Yep--this is what I was going for. Optionality is a win.

I didn't even realize my Aeronaut came with a chest strap...I must have removed it that quickly.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That purple and green combo is so gorgeous. I saw one item for sale currently that has the combo and had to put it on my wishlist. I've bought way too much stuff recently so I have to wait and dream

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe for keystrap and zipper pulls, we can have a choice of colours? I think that would be fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast