Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strap lengths for compact people - SA, S25, Synik

I know this has been discussed before, but with the new Synik tempting me, I need to know. Im 53 with a 17 torso length. The Smart Alec and A30 feel comfortable as backpacks presumably because the strap length is shorter. Ive never had a S25 and its been mentioned on theForum that this strap is longer and might not fit me as well. Is this true for the Synik 30 strap as well?

Id love to see a numerical list for all of the lengths.

Thanks

BrendaH

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know about the synik, but the s25 fit my 5 ft frame better with the frame sheet. It does slightly hit me in the butt, but (haha) it didnt bother me and wasnt uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I don’t know about the synik, but the s25 fit my 5 ft frame better with the frame sheet. It does slightly hit me in the butt, but (haha) it didn’t bother me and wasn’t uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed! At 5’ 3” on a good day, I find the S25 uncomfortable without the frame sheet. I’m not sure about my actual torso length (just never gotten around to checking) but I’m short waisted and have always found the SA and BB to be a more comfortable carry due to the shorter length of the bag. I do ok with the A30 sans frame sheet, but I would not want to have to carry it backpack style for more than a few hours at a time.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, I am similar specs (maybe just a hair shorter torso length), and I have carried a Smart Alec comfortably, as well as a Synik 22. I have not had the opportunity to try on a Synik 30, but I never did find the Synapse 25 fit me comfortably, as it felt longer than is my personal preference.

ETA: just in case you haven't seen it, Tom Bihn's main site has a fantastic bag dimensions page: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/dimensions-specs

If you click on the "bags" tab and then the "backpacks" tab, you will see various comparative specs listed. This is an outstanding feature that is so handy for bag comparisons.

You will see the length for both the Synapse 25 and the Synik 30 is 20 inches.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 09-01-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for link. I am not sure if bag length is the same as strap length, that is if longer bags have longer straps and thus don’t fit as well.

BrendaH

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
    Thanks for link. I am not sure if bag length is the same as strap length, that is if longer bags have longer straps and thus don’t fit as well.

BrendaH
    Could you describe more about what the fit concern is and how it is with the other bags...?

Usually overall fit has a lot to do with the bag's vertical dimension (assuming straps start at the top of the bag), because that dictates how far down/where on your back that the bag hits. That's why torso length is a good measurement to have - it basically equates to how the bag will sit from straps at the top of your shoulders down.

The Synik 30 and Synapse 25 both have 20" verticals, so if your torso is less than that, the bag will ride lower on your body, usually on your butt. And depending on how your butt is shaped, that could be a non-issue or annoying.

The bag strap lengths are usually more of an issue if you are very small (ie, straps can't cinch down enough) or very large (ie, straps can't extend enough) in your body's front to back dimensions - either of which may position the bag uncomfortably on your body.

For myself, my torso is less than 20" and it's why those two bags don't feel comfy to me - they sit at the top of my butt. It's vaguely annoying all the time. Ok in a short term carry, but not in an EDC.

The Synik 22 and Synapse 19 are 16" high. The Smart Alec is 18.5" All of those work for me and keep the backpack on my back.

The Aeronaut 30 is 19.7" and really pushes it for me, but I'm only carrying it backpack mode through airports. Again, it's a case of short term carry vs an Every Day Carry. The Syniks are designed to be EDCs and travel - so I'd think the EDC comfort is paramount.

I'm contemplating trying out the Brain Bag...normally I'd not need 36L, but the pack is 18.1" tall... in this case, it's the 14" wide that I'm concerned about, though I am more than 14" wide myself
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I'm contemplating trying out the Brain Bag...normally I'd not need 36L, but the pack is 18.1" tall... in this case, it's the 14" wide that I'm concerned about, though I am more than 14" wide myself
    Sorry taking this post off topic to engage in Bag Enabling...

Go for it! The only time I have a problem with it is if I overstuff or put the heavy things too far from the back panel. It’s a fantastic bag. I’m excited to get a SN22, but I’m still hopeful for a smaller BB (now thinking maybe 26L? Could be a fantastic replacement for the SA)
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    For what it is worth, I am similar specs (maybe just a hair shorter torso length), and I have carried a Smart Alec comfortably, as well as a Synik 22. I have not had the opportunity to try on a Synik 30, but I never did find the Synapse 25 fit me comfortably, as it felt longer than is my personal preference.

ETA: just in case you haven't seen it, Tom Bihn's main site has a fantastic bag dimensions page: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/dimensions-specs

If you click on the "bags" tab and then the "backpacks" tab, you will see various comparative specs listed. This is an outstanding feature that is so handy for bag comparisons.

You will see the length for both the Synapse 25 and the Synik 30 is 20 inches.
    Did TB at any point change their bag lengths? I have older bags (pre-dating the Rails system) and when I measure from the strap attachment to the bottom of the bag (where there's a hard inner-rolled seam) the S19 is 17", the SA 17.5", and the WF is 19", none of which match what's on the site =/

I too am trying to figure out if the SN30 I have on pre-order is going to be too long or not *sigh*