Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random thoughts on the Synik 22

I was fortunate enough to get picked by The Great and Terrible Countron for one of the pre-production Synik 22s, and it came today. I've benefited so much from other people's reviews I thought I'd mention a few things I haven't seen specifically addressed elsewhere.

(tl;dr: It's as good as everyone says it is and you are correct to covet it.)

My primary points of comparison are older (Cordura) Synapses of both sizes, so some of the differences are no doubt things that have already found their way into the current Synapses. I haven't had much chance to do anything more than transfer my daily carry from the S19, so I can't speak to (for instance) how the straps feel over long distances.

Parapack

Normally I'd never buy a bag in black or blue, but I decided on black parapack and I don't regret it. A very sexy fabric. One downside (presumably shared by Halcyon) is that when the bag is packed tight you can see the distinct shapes of objects inside; e.g., when the lefthand front pocket is full, the outline of each individual pen in the pen loops is visible.

The unexpected upside is that since the lining is also parapack, the pocket in the main compartment now feels much stiffer and more like its own separate space instead of just a flap of fabric floating around. It's literally the same setup as the Halcyon pockets in my Synapses, but now the pocket feels like it has more integrity and will stay flatter if there's nothing in it. (Am I impugning the integrity of the Halcyon pocket divider? I MIGHT BE.)

As long as we're here in the main compartment ...

Clamshell

I used to have a Minaal Carry-On that was in many ways a wonderful bag, but one of the selling points was that the fabric was thin and light, which meant that there was no structure to the main compartment, which meant that when you opened the clamshell, even on a flat surface, things were always in danger of rolling away and getting lost under the trophy case. (A pretty compelling argument in favor of O-rings.)

So I was ambivalent about the clamshell, but when I opened the bag all the way, I noticed that in addition to protecting the zippers, the padded bottom panel is serving another function: it gives the main compartment structure. The top of the bag is still a little limp and tends to sag, but the bottom is holding both the sides up, so it feels like you're placing things into a compartment rather than just laying them on a piece of fabric at gravity's mercy.

Packing Straps

When I opened the main compartment I also noticed that even though the two white packing straps seem to be the same length, the bottom one is snug and flush against the laptop compartment, while the top one is a bit slack and droops down when you stand the bag up. I will not tell you how long it took me to figure out that this is because, duh, the top of the bag is narrower. (Hint: you would have had enough time to prepare and drink a hot beverage.)

I had been thinking I'd just leave the straps in the bag all the time, but in addition to looking kind of sloppy, the looseness of the top strap creates a hanging loop that is something of an obstacle to putting things in the bag. So out they go. I might try them when travelling, but I use packing cubes so I may not need them at all.

Front Pockets

The lower chin pocket feels significantly smaller than the same pocket in my S19. I keep two 3DOCs in there along with a ChicoBag Vita, and I had to get pretty western with them to make them fit in the Synik. I don't think they'd fit if they were full.

(EDIT: After Cristina posted below, I went back and tried both bags again, and while it did in fact feel smaller -- as in, I had to put a lot more effort into getting the stuff to fit in the Synik -- visually, the pockets are the same size. Not sure why it feels so much more difficult to pack the Synik, but maybe I am just a big weakling milk baby.)

On the other hand, as noted elsewhere, the new side pockets are yuuuge, so maybe it's just a case of rearranging where I put things.

I am a thirsti boi, so I typically carry a one-liter Camelbak Chute, and after seeing all the pictures of tuskegee7294's trip to World O' Water Bottles (thank you for your service, ma'am) I was convinced it wasn't going to fit in the SN22. Amazingly, it does. It's stealing a lot of capacity from the surrounding compartments, though, so I may still switch out to a bottle that isn't as desperate to be the center of attention.

Strap Holders

These are great. Better, IMHO, than either Web Dominators (which protrude too much) or Strapeez (which lack aesthetic flair). I'm a little worried that they'll slip off, but if they don't, they should become standard issue with every TB backpack. (Suggestion: include a second pair for the sternum strap.)

Label

I think the label looks badass on this bag, though I will admit that it works particularly well on the black, both because it blends in better and because the bag might seem a little blank without it. As Nathan Lane says in The Birdcage, one does want a hint of color.

On the other hand, TB uses fewer stitches on the label than they used to, which is good news for those of you planning to take a seam ripper to it.

Size

In practical terms it would have made more sense for me to get an SN30 to use as a travel bag and stick with my Synapses for everyday carry, but I believe I'm in the right room to admit that I didn't want to buy a Synik I was only going to get to use on trips. So I convinced myself that in addition to being my EDC, the SN22 would also work as a travel bag.

And it might. I pack pretty minimally, so I think I can get a travel cube in there in addition to my regular kit, but that's not going to leave much room for souvenir tchotchkes. I may wind up having to save up for an SN30 as well, and WOULDN'T THAT BE TERRIBLE.

In the meantime, I'm happy to see that even though the Synik looks a little squarish when flat, the more I put into it, the more it assumes that familiar and pleasingly pearish shape.

This will come as no surprise to anyone reading this, and it comes as no surprise to me, but this bag is beautifully designed and made and I'm completely delighted with it. And of course I'm thrilled I got it even earlier than I thought I would. Many thanks to the entire TB team for their predictably superior work in every department.

Here endeth the random thoughts. I didn't want to take pictures at night, but if you want to see a photo of some particular aspect of the bag let me know and I'll take some tomorrow.
    Last edited by improvised; 09-04-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always keep a side effect in the chin pocket of my cordura S19.
    Do you think this will still fit in the SN22 in the same place?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I always keep a side effect in the chin pocket of my cordura S19.
    Do you think this will still fit in the SN22 in the same place?

I crammed an empty one in there just now, but it was hard to do and it got pretty crumply. You could maybe fit a full one in there, but it would not be an aesthetically satisfying experience.
    Last edited by improvised; 09-04-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by improvised View Post
    I crammed an empty one in there just now, but it was hard to do and it got pretty crumply. You could maybe fit a full one in there but it would not be an aesthetically satisfying experience.
    That's not good news Frown thank you for checking!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    That's not good news Frown thank you for checking!

If it fit there in the S19, it should fit there in the Synik22. The only difference is depth. The chin pocket is unchanged. Like the 19, however, the front pockets do encroach on the main compartment pockets. So if the bag is already fully packed in the main compartment, it will be hard to put something in the chin pocket.

At least with the Syniks, the clamshell design means that you can pack the front half and back half of the bag separately and then zip them together. You still canít reasonably expect to pack the front pockets totally full without encroaching on the main compartment, but it might be a bit easier to pack it this way.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    If it fit there in the S19, it should fit there in the Synik22. The only difference is depth. The chin pocket is unchanged. Like the 19, however, the front pockets do encroach on the main compartment pockets. So if the bag is already fully packed in the main compartment, it will be hard to put something in the chin pocket.

At least with the Syniks, the clamshell design means that you can pack the front half and back half of the bag separately and then zip them together. You still can’t reasonably expect to pack the front pockets totally full without encroaching on the main compartment, but it might be a bit easier to pack it this way.
    Cristina, I was transferring stuff from an older S19. Is it possible that the Synapse pocket proportions have changed, so that the difference is not really between Synik and Synapse but rather between current and past Synapses?

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also chosen by the random picker generator thingy and really enjoyed reading your random, initial thoughts. Thank you for sharing those! I don't want to hijack your very thorough post, but I agree with you on so many things so I thought it would be easiest to reply to you with my initial impressions so others will be able to easily find the info in one place. Hope that's okay.

So I was ambivalent about the clamshell, but when I opened the bag all the way, I noticed that in addition to protecting the zippers, the padded bottom panel is serving another function: it gives the main compartment structure. The top of the bag is still a little limp and tends to sag, but the bottom is holding both the sides up, so it feels like you're placing things into a compartment rather than just laying them on a piece of fabric at gravity's mercy.
    I wasn't opposed to a clamshell opening but purchased the S22 because reviewers stated that the zippers allowed for the clamshell opening to be totally optional, because I seriously thought, "Well big deal about clamshell. I'll never use it." Silly me! Yesterday I opened this bag clamshell-style constantly throughout the day because of the reason that you mention above. This bag is very sturdy when fully opened, and it does feel like I'm still packing things into a compartment. Great observation and so very true!

I had been thinking I'd just leave the straps in the bag all the time, but in addition to looking kind of sloppy, the looseness of the top strap creates a hanging loop that is something of an obstacle to putting things in the bag. So out they go. I might try them when travelling, but I use packing cubes so I may not need them at all.
    Same here. I thought I would use the interior straps but after trying for long enough to enjoy a hot beverage, I promptly took them out. Since I have an older MacBook Air that won't fit into the cache, I was hoping they would secure my laptop but instead they just got in the way and flopped about. Perhaps the new strap keepers will help with this, but I found that the S22 is sturdy and padded enough for my laptop to hang out in the main compartment without the straps, so they're now in a bin in my closet.

The lower chin pocket feels significantly smaller than the same pocket in my S19. I keep two 3DOCs in there along with a ChicoBag Vita, and I had to get pretty western with them to make them fit in the Synik. I don't think they'd fit if they were full.
    I'm not 100-percent sure what you mean by the chin pocket, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I immediately noticed the same thing. I didn't compare apples to apples (or even apples to oranges) but it appeared smaller at first. However, when I put my hand into it and explored its nether regions, it seems to feel bigger than it looks, if that makes any sense.

I am a thirsti boi, so I typically carry a one-liter Camelbak Chute, and after seeing all the pictures of tuskegee7294's trip to World O' Water Bottles (thank you for your service, ma'am) I was convinced it wasn't going to fit in the SN22. Amazingly, it does. It's stealing a lot of capacity from the surrounding compartments, though, so I may still switch out to a bottle that isn't as desperate to be the center of attention.
    I'm a thirsty gal, but unfortunately my 27oz non-insulated, very slim, stainless Kleen Kanteen does not fit into the water bottle pocket but instead sticks out the top by 2 inches or so. Yesterday during travels, I ended up sticking the water bottle where I always do on my TB bags: into the main compartment. This bottle has been through hell with me (almost literally... it survived a forest fire and I found it two days later where I dropped it when fleeing) so I'm rather sentimental about it and pretty bummed that it won't fit into the designated spot. I'll find something else to do with that long pocket (paint brushes maybe?) but wish it would hold my bottle. Glad it's working for you!

Strap Holders... These are great. Better, IMHO, than either Web Dominators (which protrude too much) or Strapeez (which lack aesthetic flair).
    Agree! Love them, especially after I installed them correctly. tee-hee Big Grin

I think the label looks badass on this bag, though I will admit that it works particularly well on the black, both because it blends in better and because the bag might seem a little blank without it. As Nathan Lane says in The Birdcage, one does want a hint of color.
    This is kinda funny, but I forgot to notice the label until I read your post and had to run to the bag to look at it. Agree! On the S22 Nebulous Grey, the label looks pretty awesome as is, where it is. I know the label on the Synik has been a rub for some, but I like the classy lower-right-corner placement a lot. My label is staying on. Smilie

In the meantime, I'm happy to see that even though the Synik looks a little squarish when flat, the more I put into it, the more it assumes that familiar and pleasingly pearish shape.
    I haven't had time to *correctly* pack my S22 yet, but yesterday morning before dawn as I haphazardly threw all of my EDC items into it before hitting the road, I was tickled with the way it packed out. I've been a bit of a Goldilocks with the Synapses - the S19 was too small, the S25 too big - but the size of the S22 suits me perfectly.

Again, I haven't put it to the test yet but I might could pack it out for a weekend trip. Longer could be a bit of a struggle, and I'm a minimalist packer. However, I always carry sketching supplies (which I'm assuming that most of you don't) and would either need a separate carry for those or use my S22 for all of my pleasure packing (sketching tools, binoculars, Kindle and laptop, etc) and use my standard duffle for clothing and toiletries. Just for comparison, I can pack my BB for a weeklong trip including all sketching supplies, but I always hated how I had to take out all of my things to get to my stuff in the bottom of the BB. But not now, because hello clamshell! Big Grin

I do want to add to your random thoughts with mine regarding the shoulder straps:
    I know TB shoulder straps have a love/hate relationship with TB users. The S25 shoulder straps were the pits on me, the S19 were great. (Go figure!) The S22 are... okay. They aren't worse than the S19 but they're not better, just different. The first thing I noticed is that they are very plump, almost puffy feeling. While I may appreciate the extra padding over time, it may take a while for them to mold to my body and grow to me, so to speak. They're also very stiff so I'm hoping they also soften over time. I'm dealing with them and see no reason they could cause any issues in the future, but I'm still waiting for my ultimate TB pack straps to be grafted to the pack of my dreams, which is most likely this S22 because you are right...

This will come as no surprise to anyone reading this, and it comes as no surprise to me, but this bag is beautifully designed and made and I'm completely delighted with it. And of course I'm thrilled I got it even earlier than I thought I would. Many thanks to the entire TB team for their predictably superior work in every department.
    Here here! Yep, it is a maverick of a design and I'm also completely delighted with it. Kudos to TB for once again putting great thought, skill, and care behind their processes and creations.

Edited to add... I forgot to mention one other random thought regarding the S22's frame. I think it's going to have to come out. Every time I bend over, the S22 frame makes the pack stick out from my arched back like a board. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure I need to bend from the legs more. Big Grin Anyone else noticed this?
    Last edited by Tonya; 09-05-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina, I was transferring stuff from an older S19. Is it possible that the Synapse pocket proportions have changed, so that the difference is not really between Synik and Synapse but rather between current and past Synapses?
    Oh I just spotted that you added more info above.

Different materials used to make the bag will change how easy it is to fill the pockets. For instance, itís easier to put a Halcyon Side Kick into a Halcyon S25 chin pocket. It should also be easier to put a Halcyon Side Effect into a Halcyon S19. The increased stiffness and thickness of the different ballistics/Cordura used across both bags will make it a little harder to get a Side Effect in there. Is your S19 Halcyon?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I don't want to hijack your very thorough post, but I agree with you on so many things so I thought it would be easiest to reply to you with my initial impressions so others will be able to easily find the info in one place. Hope that's okay.
    Thanks for piling on! I agree it's better to have them together, especially since we are both super perceptive and therefore agree about most things.

I'm not 100-percent sure what you mean by the chin pocket, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I immediately noticed the same thing. I didn't compare apples to apples (or even apples to oranges) but it appeared smaller at first. However, when I put my hand into it and explored its nether regions, it seems to feel bigger than it looks, if that makes any sense.
    The chin pocket is the lower front pocket. Thank you for confirming that I'm not insane, or at least not in this particular instance.

This bottle has been through hell with me (almost literally... it survived a forest fire and I found it two days later where I dropped it when fleeing) so I'm rather sentimental about it and pretty bummed that it won't fit into the designated spot.
    HOLY CATS, that is amazing.

I haven't had time to *correctly* pack my S22 yet, but yesterday morning before dawn as I haphazardly threw all of my EDC items into it before hitting the road, I was tickled with the way it packed out. I've been a bit of a Goldilocks with the Synapses - the S19 was too small, the S25 too big - but the size of the S22 suits me perfectly.
    Yeah, that was a big part of my decision too. Most of my EDC usually fits in an S19, but then there's no room for extra stuff if I need it; the S25 provides the extra room but then winds up being mostly empty most of the time. I was hoping the Synik would hit the sweet spot. So far, so good.

I do want to add to your random thoughts with mine regarding the shoulder straps:
    I know TB shoulder straps have a love/hate relationship with TB users. The S25 shoulder straps were the pits on me, the S19 were great. (Go figure!) The S22 are... okay. They aren't worse than the S19 but they're not better, just different. The first thing I noticed is that they are very plump, almost puffy feeling. While I may appreciate the extra padding over time, it may take a while for them to mold to my body and grow to me, so to speak. They're also very stiff so I'm hoping they also soften over time.
    Today was my first chance to walk around any distance with them. I've been having some neck and shoulder problems, so it's hard for me to gauge the difference, but I did notice one thing that I've heard other people remark on: I can't figure out where the weight is being borne. I hold the pack in my hand, and it feels pretty heavy, and then I put it on and it feels like there should be more pressure somewhere. I assume this is about displacing the load effectively, but I found it to be kind of amazing. I hope yours break in and get more comfortable!

Edited to add... I forgot to mention one other random thought regarding the S22's frame. I think it's going to have to come out. Every time I bend over, the S22 frame makes the pack stick out from my arched back like a board. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure I need to bend from the legs more. Big Grin Anyone else noticed this?
    This isn't quite as extreme for me, because I'm pretty tall, but after I read this I did notice it when I bent over. I don't see any way around that if you have a frame in there. Mine isn't super comfortable (or uncomfortable, for that matter) but I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can make it feel more relevant to my particular back.
    Last edited by improvised; 09-05-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Oh I just spotted that you added more info above.

Different materials used to make the bag will change how easy it is to fill the pockets. For instance, it’s easier to put a Halcyon Side Kick into a Halcyon S25 chin pocket. It should also be easier to put a Halcyon Side Effect into a Halcyon S19. The increased stiffness and thickness of the different ballistics/Cordura used across both bags will make it a little harder to get a Side Effect in there. Is your S19 Halcyon?
    Nope, Cordura. Just another grain of sand in the Sahara of the unexplained!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate enough to get picked by The Great and Terrible Countron for one of the pre-production Synik 22s, and it came today. I've benefited so much from other people's reviews I thought I'd mention a few things I haven't seen specifically addressed elsewhere.

(tl;dr: It's as good as everyone says it is and you are correct to covet it.)

Ö

Packing Straps

When I opened the main compartment I also noticed that even though the two white packing straps seem to be the same length, the bottom one is snug and flush against the laptop compartment, while the top one is a bit slack and droops down when you stand the bag up. I will not tell you how long it took me to figure out that this is because, duh, the top of the bag is narrower. (Hint: you would have had enough time to prepare and drink a hot beverage.)

There is, actually, a hack for the top restraining strapís length: if you happen to have an Aeronaut 30. Switch the short end of one of the internal retaining straps on the A30 (whichever is the one with female buckle component) with corresponding strap end at the top right side of the Synik 22. It will lie flat against the back without extra hanging loops. At least, this works for me, and I tried this with straps from two models of the A30 that were made at different times (but I canít verify this with the latest model of A30 because, letís face it, the bags hold up so well over time that thereís no ďneedĒ to keep buying new ones).

If you happen to use one of the 15Ē Eagle Creek packing folders in the Synik 22, I find the natural place to stow it is against the laptop compartment, where itís flat, and extends to just about the full height of the bag. Depending on what/how full youíve packed the folder, you might want to use the retaining straps to secure it.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for piling on! I agree it's better to have them together, especially since we are both super perceptive and therefore agree about most things.
    Haha yes!

The chin pocket is the lower front pocket. Thank you for confirming that I'm not insane, or at least not in this particular instance.
    Yep that's the pocket I thought you meant, and one of the first things I thought when I opened up the TB box and saw the pack was that the chin pocket was smaller. It's not just you, but it could just be a visual thing. However based on your packing attempts that you mentioned above, maybe not.

Today was my first chance to walk around any distance with them. I've been having some neck and shoulder problems, so it's hard for me to gauge the difference, but I did notice one thing that I've heard other people remark on: I can't figure out where the weight is being borne. I hold the pack in my hand, and it feels pretty heavy, and then I put it on and it feels like there should be more pressure somewhere. I assume this is about displacing the load effectively, but I found it to be kind of amazing. I hope yours break in and get more comfortable!
    It's fairly comfortable brand new and I think the straps will soften rather quickly. (Especially after they get a little sweat and grime on them - ha!) I totally agree with you that the S22 feels heavy in-hand but when I put it on my back, the weight seems to disappear. Yep, pretty amazing! Because of this, I don't think I'll have an issue with comfort.

This isn't quite as extreme for me, because I'm pretty tall, but after I read this I did notice it when I bent over. I don't see any way around that if you have a frame in there. Mine isn't super comfortable (or uncomfortable, for that matter) but I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can make it feel more relevant to my particular back.
    I ended up removing the frame sheet and now the pack molds to my back like it was made for me. Kinda cool how well this pack seems to morph to different sizes and body types. Much thanks again for your likeminded notes. Smilie Very timely as I attempted to evaluate the S22 for myself.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    There is, actually, a hack for the top restraining strap’s length: if you happen to have an Aeronaut 30. Switch the short end of one of the internal retaining straps on the A30 (whichever is the one with female buckle component) with corresponding strap end at the top right side of the Synik 22. It will lie flat against the back without extra hanging loops. At least, this works for me, and I tried this with straps from two models of the A30 that were made at different times (but I can’t verify this with the latest model of A30 because, let’s face it, the bags hold up so well over time that there’s no “need” to keep buying new ones).
    I don't have an A30, but I'm pretty sure that even if I did, this would never have occurred to me. Great hack!

Forum Member
    Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can a pair of size 10 shoes or sandals fit in the front bottom pocket?

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n2 View Post
    can a pair of size 10 shoes or sandals fit in the front bottom pocket?
    In the front bottom pocket of the SN22?

No, size 10 shoes won't fit.

A side effect is a tight fit according to folks who received theirs early.

I wear euro size 38 shoes which I think translates to a 7 in US sizing, and there is no way they would fit in the front bottom pocket of my S19, which I understand to be more or less the same size on the SN22.

Might well fit in the same place on the SN30/S25, but I don't have one to check that for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast