Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kingdom for a Synik 26.

I probably owe Countron an apology.

I have a Synapse 25 that I use for daily carry and very occasional one-bag travel. My daily stuff fits nicely into the variety of outside pockets, so I often find myself carrying a bag with an empty (other than my iPad) main compartment. I love the bag, but it often feels a bit too big for my daily use.

So on a whim, I placed a preorder for a Synik 22. It seemed like the perfect capacity for a "day bag" that would pair nicely with a rolling suitcase for travel. I got it on Tuesday and I've been (very lightly) putting it through its paces since then.

In short: Everything good that people have said about this bag is true. The shoulder straps are amazing. The two-way laptop access is fantastic. (I've been using it for an 11" iPad Pro, and it's great for that.) The full-zip is really useful when I want it, but there's enough friction in the zippers that I don't worry about the bag coming more unzipped than I want it to. The parapack fabric is great.

The slightly-more-squared-off shape might be the sleeper feature, though. Some people may debate the aesthetics of the "pear shape" Synapse silhouette, but those of us that use it know just how well it balances ergonomics, appearance, adaptability (those side panels) and usable space. I think that the Synik manages to somehow improve all aspects of that. To me it looks better when it's empty *and* full, and the space feels more usable.

Which is why I'm sad that the 22 isn't for me. I'm 5'9" and about 240, so some would describe me as a Moderately Thicc Boi. My torso is a bit long for my height, though, so the Synik 22 just looks too small on my back. I've worn other 20L-ish day packs (such as the Peak Design backpack) that didn't look nearly as small. It's almost like the Synik uses space *too* efficiently!

But if I'm going back to a Synapse 25 that's mostly empty most days, a Synik 30 seems a bit silly for me. Based on my experiences with the 22, I think many of the reviewers have it right when they say the Synik 30 seems to be sized for frequent travelers.

Which is why I think a Synik 26 would be perfect for me. If it really "split the difference" between the 22 and 30, it would be 12.4" wide, 18" tall, and 7.5"-10" deep. That's pretty much spot on with the Peak Design 20L backpack at 12" x 18" x 7", but the Synik 26 would be a much better use of that volume. In fact, if it were up to me, I think offering Syniks at 22, 26, and 30 would pretty much negate the need for my beloved Synapse to keep existing; the squared-off shape is that good. The marketing story becomes "Small day pack (22), Large day pack (26), and One-bag traveler (30)".

So it's with mixed emotions that I'm moving all my junk back into my old friend the Synapse 25 tonight, and listing the 22 on eBay shortly. But I'll hold out hope that Tom and Nik and the rest of the crew will hear my cries and take my money (again) for a Synik 26 in the future. Smilie

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, the hypothetical 18-inch tall Synik would have been hard for me to turn down as well. It would fit my work laptop (barely too big for the SN22) while fitting under an airplane seat.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that! I can stuff my Synapse 25 under a seat, but just barely, and it usually sticks out a bit. 18" would be perfect under an airplane seat.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, a 26L Synik 18 inches tall (rather than 20) would be the perfect bag for me too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ntinos_H; 09-06-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was so excited about Synik 22 at first, because S25 is too big, and S19 is (looks like and fees like) too small for me. I thought it was the perfect size. But then, so disappointed that it's basically the same size as S19 only a bit deeper.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbailey59 View Post
    The slightly-more-squared-off shape might be the sleeper feature, though. Some people may debate the aesthetics of the "pear shape" Synapse silhouette, but those of us that use it know just how well it balances ergonomics, appearance, adaptability (those side panels) and usable space. I think that the Synik manages to somehow improve all aspects of that. To me it looks better when it's empty *and* full, and the space feels more usable.
    I only just got mine (I'm across the continent from TB) and I have to agree. I don't mind the pear shape of the Synapse but to my eye the squared off shape of the Synik is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    I was so excited about Synik 22 at first, because S25 is too big, and S19 is (looks like and fees like) too small for me. I thought it was the perfect size. But then, so disappointed that it's basically the same size as S19 only a bit deeper.
    That's exactly what closed the deal on the Synik 22 for me. I love the size of the S19 and I'm not a big fan of the S25 so being essentially the same size as my already favorite bag made it an easy choice.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbailey59 View Post
    I forgot to mention that! I can stuff my Synapse 25 under a seat, but just barely, and it usually sticks out a bit. 18" would be perfect under an airplane seat.
    I agree this is the only thing I don’t like about the S25. I’d love a S26 as well, yet probably will just get a 22 when I get bored with the S25.