Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Cublet vs PCSB

Hello all,

Have a trip coming up and planning on using my Daylight Backpack as a day bag in the city portion of travel. Ending the vacation St a beach side town where I don't anticipate much backpacking going on. Was thinking of getting a PCSB or a Travel Cublet to ride along the DLBP and for the tropical portion of the trip (bringing small stuff to the pool, beach) maybe for a run into town.

The Packing cube shoulder bag would be a nice extra packing cube for the trip out and the Cublet would seemingly fit into the backpack if not take up a little bit of room.

They cost exactly the same (guess it's the extra interior in the Cublet?). Any insight on getting the most bang for the buck and practically out of either small bag?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have a Cubelet, but I really like the PCSB. When it’s warmer, it can be easier to use the PCSB as the backpack can get sticky feeling. It would also be big enough to put in phone, sunscreen, visor, and a small folding bag if you buy something or have a towel.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are very different in size! The Travel Cubelet is a lot smaller. But if you don’t need the space then I definitely vote to get the Travel Cubelet. I use mine together with my DLBP all the time. It fits easily inside (I use it more as an organiser inside the DLBP on the go) and I can use it to carry my essentials at my destination when I’m going out or don’t want or need the backpack. But it really only takes the bare essentials, for me that’s wallet, phone, tissues, lip balm, keys and some small bits and pieces. Besides, you can keep your essentials in it at the destination INSIDE the DLBP for added security. And then you have a small bag you can use in museums if they want you to put the backpack into storage.

If you want to carry more you need the PCSB. But that definitely doesn’t fit well into the DLBP, I would use it as a packing cube in the big bag only and carry it instead of the DLBP at the destination. Or you would need to put the empty PCSB into the DLBP and switch all your things over, which I personally don’t like. And the PCSB has a lot less structure (no dedicated phone pocket for example). Something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 09-14-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the cubelet and I think that it is perfect for carrying the essentials. I agree the PCSB is big for the DLBP. I would use the cubelet with th DLBP. Choose based on what you would pack in the bag. If only the essentials then cubelet. If a replacement for the DLBP then PCSB.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went cycling/hiking with a Side Effect and DLBP. I haven't used the SE in a while, as I usually like the SK as my EDC. But to use with the DLBP, I felt the SE more suited.

Reasons:
    1) I put essentials in the SE. So when I need to put the DLBP down, I don't have to worry about losing the important stuff.
    2) SE easily fits in the upper pouch inside the DLBP. I got to "squeeze" the SK in. I can then easily move around with 1 bag.
    3) SE can be worn around the waist or chest (I think gatekeeper waist straps will be better), for easy access of essentials. I wore mine so I can easily access my phone.

A TC would be the same if you can fit your essentials in. Main convenience is essentials are always in the same bag. My long wallet won't fit in a TC. And TC cannot use with gatekeeper waist straps.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by panda2mama; 09-14-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how the small bags will look in the DLBP:

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm at it, I might as well do it with the Side Kick:
    1) Vertically in top pouch
    2) Vertically in bottom pouch
    3) Horizontally in bottom pouch

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much. This is so helpful. I am now leaning Cublet since I'll have the DLBP for anything more than the essentials. Again, these visuals are so helpful. Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacitusKilgore View Post
    Thank you so much. This is so helpful. I am now leaning Cublet since I'll have the DLBP for anything more than the essentials. Again, these visuals are so helpful. Thank you!
    Great! The next challenge now is to choose the colour! Travel Cublet vs PCSBTravel Cublet vs PCSBTravel Cublet vs PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Great! The next challenge now is to choose the colour! Travel Cublet vs PCSBTravel Cublet vs PCSBTravel Cublet vs PCSB

Coyote Northwest Sky is the color of all the other stuff in my pack, so it seems kismet!

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    And TC cannot use with gatekeeper waist straps.
    I have worn my TC around my waist by shortening the strap and attaching both clips to the same side, so it hangs down by one hip. I don't do it often, but if it's really hot and I don't want the strap on the skin by my neck, or when it's bothersome (like when we played minigolf this summer), I'll wear it on my waist.

I LOVE the TC- it's my go-to essentials bag for travel. I only upgrade to a SCB if I need a water bottle, umbrella, and/or windbreaker.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    They are very different in size! The Travel Cubelet is a lot smaller. But if you don’t need the space then I definitely vote to get the Travel Cubelet. I use mine together with my DLBP all the time. It fits easily inside (I use it more as an organiser inside the DLBP on the go) and I can use it to carry my essentials at my destination when I’m going out or don’t want or need the backpack. But it really only takes the bare essentials, for me that’s wallet, phone, tissues, lip balm, keys and some small bits and pieces. Besides, you can keep your essentials in it at the destination INSIDE the DLBP for added security. And then you have a small bag you can use in museums if they want you to put the backpack into storage.

If you want to carry more you need the PCSB. But that definitely doesn’t fit well into the DLBP, I would use it as a packing cube in the big bag only and carry it instead of the DLBP at the destination. Or you would need to put the empty PCSB into the DLBP and switch all your things over, which I personally don’t like. And the PCSB has a lot less structure (no dedicated phone pocket for example). Something to keep in mind.
    This recent TB blog video does show the PCSB bring used in the DLBP though.
    https://youtu.be/OPjoSD7S3kk

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moocoweyes View Post
    This recent TB blog video does show the PCSB bring used in the DLBP though.
    https://youtu.be/OPjoSD7S3kk
    Yes, of course you can squish it in there if it's underpacked, but it's not a natural fit for the DLBP. In this case the DLBP just works as a holdall for travel cubes. When you use the TC you can put a big water bottle next to it, for example. Where do you want to put the bottle with the PCSB, on top of it? That's awkward. When you plan to use the DLBP as an EDC and not as a travel bag, the TC makes more sense.