Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Flyer: my perfect EDC briefcase and primary for two bag travel

So, this summer I've been trying to iron out my EDC situation. I've been carrying an Amazon Basics laptop bag for a few years with several other bags being added on to accomodate all my extra needs for work. Blech! In July I got a beautiful Nordic/Ultraviolet Maker's Bag and downsized my lunch needs, and that has worked well for me.

Lately, though, I've been finding the Maker's Bag is getting a bit overfilled sometimes, and it's not handling the clipboards I carry very well. I'm also trying to plan travel bags for my ten day visit to Turkey to visit my girlfriend's family in a few months. So... after an extended period of research, obsessing, more research, even more obsessing, and yet more obsessing, I finally decided to give the Western Flyer a try.

What I got in my package yesterday was the Steel/Island WF, Absolute Strap, two Island small WF packing cubes, and an Island WF FS (I like blue... ). I love this bag!! The color combo is great, it easily holds all my work EDC stuff even on days where I need to haul extra crap, it'll carry my EDC stuff with clothing for when I'm going back and forth to my girlfriend's place, and it looks super sharp doing it all.

At some point this weekend I'll need to do some serious travel test packing to see just how much of that ten day trip I can use the WF for. I've already done a quick test run with the two small packing cubes, and they'll hold me for about five days of clothes. Then I can figure out if I need to search for a second bag as a personal item on the flights (likely a Co-pilot). Either way, I fear the Maker's Bag has become redundant as I don't like flap-top bags on airplanes and it's been replaced for EDC.

Anyway, I love the modularity and looks of this bag, and I couldn't be happier!
    Cheers!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! We'd love to see photos of it with EDC and clothes all laid out sometime, if/when you have the time.

I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That's great! We'd love to see photos of it with EDC and clothes all laid out sometime, if/when you have the time.

My girlfriend is doing some work, so you're in luck! Just did a test pack of my work EDC stuff plus four days of clothes. I'm astonished and horrified at how much this bag can swallow into it's gaping maw of awesomeness Western Flyer: my perfect EDC briefcase and primary for two bag travel

So, in the small pocket on the front is a Mars Red cubelet full of bracelets I wear sometimes.

The large front pocket has a book (a history of Turkey, in this case).

Front compartment holds:

-12"x8" Grid-It full of charging cords, cigar cutter and torch lighter, medium Hero Clip, and USB to USB-C converter

-Island WF Freudian Slip containing:
    *Sharpies
    *Pens
    *Small Olight flashlight
    *3"x5" Rite in the rain note pad
    *Pocket knife
    *Deck of cards (useful in a surprising number of situations)
    *Scissors
    *Gorilla Glue
    *Altoid tin first aid kit
    *Microsoft Surface Go in UAG case held in one of the rear FS pockets

-Burnt Orange A5 Ghost Whale containing a pencil, pen, work notebook, and day planner

The rear split compartment holds:

-On one side a rolled up pair of jeans, headphones, and my stainless steel lunch box
    -On the other side a small packing cube containing four pairs of boxers, four t-shirts, and two pairs of socks
    (For reference, I'm a 6'1" 190lbs male)

This whole setup comes to 17.2 lbs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by darknova306; 09-14-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so I just did a quick test pack of ten days of clothes as a proof of concept. I'll figure out my actual specific packing list for this trip later and do a true test pack. In the front divided section I had two small packing cubes that contained (slit between them): 10 t-shirts, 10 pairs of boxers, 4 pairs of socks, 1 pair of pajama pants. In the back compartment I had 2 pairs of jeans and 2 long sleeve shirts, leaving me room to add any other clothes I feel I need, probably a sweater or two because the trip will be in January. This configuration was 12.5 lbs. I'm amazed at how much this bag can fit!!

If I wanted to go truly one-bag, I'd have to make some changes to be able to fit computer, chargers, and toiletries. I still need to make a specific packing list for my tech, toiletries, and in-flight essentials, but I'm toying with trying to trade my Maker's Bag for a Co-pilot. I think that would cover me for a two-bag travel combo!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have even more room if you have a trip where laundry is available/possible (either machines or sink wash).

The Co-Pilot is nice for the second bag because (as you know) it zips shut.

Since you have the absolute strap, do you normally intend to carry the WF that way? if that's so and you don't mind backpacks, then a Luminary 15 might be a good option as well for the second bag.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You'd have even more room if you have a trip where laundry is available/possible (either machines or sink wash).

The Co-Pilot is nice for the second bag because (as you know) it zips shut.

Since you have the absolute strap, do you normally intend to carry the WF that way? if that's so and you don't mind backpacks, then a Luminary 15 might be a good option as well for the second bag.
    Yeah, I've thought about the laundry thing. I'll be staying with her family, so there'll be laundry facilities, but they want to take me on a whirlwind tour of Izmir, Ankara, and Istanbul. I have my doubts that I'll have the time/energy to get laundry done, though I'm considering it. That would let me shed enough clothes so I can fit absolutely everything for the trip into the WF. Still not sure...

I'm planning on carrying the WF in cross-body or briefcase mode most of the time, especially for work EDC, but on the trip I was thinking of using the backpack straps and holding a second bag (like the co-pilot) as a briefcase. I've never really been a huge fan of backpacks, which is why I'm thinking mostly about the travel briefcases like the co-pilot, but the L15 is a nice looking one. I'll keep in mind as I figure out my packing list and decide on the bag. Thanks for the thought!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upvote for laundry. I'd rarely pack more than 4 of anything, no matter how long the trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I've been thinking a lot about it, and travel in general, and doing some laundry makes sense. That would cut down on all the underwear and undershirts which would lighten the load drastically. Just need to look into quicker drying clothes and the packing list for this trip should be a lot more reasonable. Thanks for the advice!

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Western Flyer, too. I went for the black halcyon with Iberian interior. I will be leaving in a month for a 10-day work trip to Northern Spain, and since we'll be moving around every few days, I'll be taking just my WF and small zippered shop bag. I have my packing list, but I need to do a test pack this afternoon to make sure everything fits.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    I just got a Western Flyer, too. I went for the black halcyon with Iberian interior. I will be leaving in a month for a 10-day work trip to Northern Spain, and since we'll be moving around every few days, I'll be taking just my WF and small zippered shop bag. I have my packing list, but I need to do a test pack this afternoon to make sure everything fits.
    How did the test pack go? I'm in the process of paring down my travel stuff (looking into quick drying clothes and such) and hoping to get my whole 10 day trip to just fit in the WF.

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darknova306 View Post
    How did the test pack go? I'm in the process of paring down my travel stuff (looking into quick drying clothes and such) and hoping to get my whole 10 day trip to just fit in the WF.

It went great, though had a couple of surprises. I documented it here: https://travelingwithtombihn.weebly.com/

As I mention there, I don't use specialized travel clothes and plan to bring a total of three pairs of shoes, and everything still fit well.
    Last edited by nessagr; 09-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love my WF as well, such a great bag and as I have no need for a laptop when I travel I don't own the tristar. Nice to see the WF getting some love

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moocoweyes View Post
    I absolutely love my WF as well, such a great bag and as I have no need for a laptop when I travel I don't own the tristar. Nice to see the WF getting some love
    Such a versatile bag, isn't it? Before I got it I was going back and forth with the TriStar, but the slightly deeper compartments sold me. I'm glad I went with the WF. It's been great for work EDC and packing to stay at my girlfriend's place, but I can't wait to go on my first trip with it!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The western flyer really is one of those perfect all round EDC and travel bags.

I have a steel / solar one at the moment with the luggage pass through but looking for a different colour scheme to mix it up a bit.

You can see the trade details here.

SWAP: Western Flyer Steel / Solar (luggage pass through) for NAVY WF
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    The western flyer really is one of those perfect all round EDC and travel bags.

I have a steel / solar one at the moment with the luggage pass through but looking for a different colour scheme to mix it up a bit.

You can see the trade details here.

SWAP: Western Flyer Steel / Solar (luggage pass through) for NAVY WF
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love Steel on the WF. Such a classy and slick color without being boring like black, or too attention grabbing like some of the brighter colors. Navy looks like it would be slick, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast