Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member Generic Industries's Avatar
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Side Kick: In detail

Hi all. I recently picked up a Side Kick for an everyday bag. Itís my first TB purchase. After a few weeks of use I thought Iíd break down how and what I carry, what I like about the bag and a few minor modifications Iíve made.

Warning: minutiae ahead!

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-front-jpg

Generally speaking
    I really dig this bag. Iím surprised by how much I like it and how useful it is. It simply suits me really well. Iím able to keep my essentials organized and at the ready.

The bag allows me to achieve something thatís important to me with frequently-used stuff: first order retrievability. I donít have to move anything to get to what I need. Mostly, I can get what I need with one hand.

Itís become clear how and why there is a bit of fanaticism around TB bags. It seems that when they fit your needs they solve problems at hand as well as problems you didnít know you had.

I work very close to home and return to the house at least once a day. Sometimes more! Unfortunately the nature of my work requires I take my truck everywhere, I often have to run and pick up materials, make deliveries and check on jobs. I can make up to a dozen trips in a day. Having everything I need in the bag ready to go is such a relief.

Over the past few years I've realized I hate having stuff in my pockets. The only thing I can abide is a bandana in a rear pocket. Everything else has to be bagged. This bag solves the problem better than I would have ever imagined.

I wear my keys on a belt loop and I carry a Leatherman Wave in a holster attached to my belt. If I didn't, I would definitely have a multi-tool in the Side Kick.

Well, whatís in the bag? All right, let's see.

Contents
    Hereís an overhead view as well as a condensed view of the contents.

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-topview-jpg

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-condensed-jpg

And an exploded view. I know that forum members know this but, wow, pouches and O-rings. What a revelation. One thing thatís surprised me is just how much stuff I can carry in here while keeping it all neat, retrievable and organized!

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-exploded-jpg

Interior pockets
    • iPhone 6
    • sunglasses case
    • Papermate Non-stop
    • Papermate Flair
    • Nite-ize Inova XP flashlight
    • Index-card-sized clipboard (rift-sawn white oak and brass. I like analog lists for errands and groceries)
    • Small Ghost Whale: Sharpie, extra pen and pencil, Starrett six-inch rule, Presto correction pen (not for correcting but for writing on and labeling tools and containers)
    • Mini Ghost Whale: Tweezers, clippers, lighter
    • Double clear organizer pouch: Stamps, index cards, 3x4 square, business cards

Main compartment
    Varies by day. I carry it empty, bring a notebook or a camera. Fits my Fuji X100 or my Leica M3.

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-leica-jpg

Front pocket
    Nikís wallet #4 - Just a few pieces of plastic, including ID.

Mini clear organizer pouch
    • 10í Lufkin tape measure (Looking for recs for another quality, compact 8' or 10' tape.)
    • Two #2 S-biners

An aside on the wallet: My new TB wallet fits comfortably inside my old wallet. Itís kinda crazy how small it is. I hardly carry anything in my wallet (ID, a few pieces of plastic) so the upgrade made sense especially considering the bulk and weight I was able to reduce. Though the old Billykirk was quite handsome.

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-walletinwallet-jpg

Modifications

Fobs
    The TB zipper pulls are great, and I especially like how they attach without leaving loose ends or protruding knots. However, the bit of plastic at the end left me wanting something else. As I carry the bag all of the time I wanted something smooth to rub between my fingers when waiting on line or standing around. A bit like a fidget spinner. I made a pair of fobs from curly walnut and tried a few different methods for attaching them. But thatís a discussion for another thread!

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-fobs-jpg

Shim for the pencil stall
    The overall length of my pen light, its clip and the pencil stall built into the bag were not getting along. When I put the flashlight in the stall the clip seated it but left me with hardly any purchase to remove it when needed. My solution was to put a small rubber stopper at the bottom of the pencil stall, acting as a shim, which bumped the light up and gives me better access. Stopper purchased from my local hardware store.

My Side Kick: In detail-sk-flashlight-jpg

Exterior S-biner
    I added a #3 S-biner to the bag. I donít quite like the way it sits. But it is great to have an external lashing point for my keys, which I keep on a brass snap hook and typically wear on a belt loop. I cycle five or six times a week and when I run an errand after my ride (no pockets in my cycling shorts) itís great to clip my keys to the bag. Frees up my hands from a water bottle as well.

If anyone has any ideas to an alternative to the S-biner please let me know. I feel like Tyny Tools (who make the knitting pouch double carabiners) might have a solution but all of their products have disappeared from the internet.

Overall
    If you hadn't gathered, I'm really pleased with the bag. And wish I had picked one up years ago. Thanks to everyone here for sharing information about their bags, experiences and technique. And thanks to the people at TB for making a fantastic bag.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report. I've wondered if I could get by with a Side Kick instead of my medium Cafe Bag, for everyday stuff. The one thing that wouldn't work for me in the Side Kick is my iPad.

I've also gone to a minimalist wallet, sometimes called a "front pocket" wallet. I use Apple Pay when available, even at Chevron stations when gassing up my car. Cash is becoming obsolete. And one can get by with much fewer cards.

In your first picture, the overhead view, what is the large black book-like object sitting in the middle of the main compartment, if I may ask?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    In your first picture, the overhead view, what is the large black book-like object sitting in the middle of the main compartment, if I may ask?
    Oh! I left it out of the pictures. It's a Moleskin hardcover notebook. Size is called "large" and measures 5" x 8.25".

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review & pack out - would love to see/read more about your custom pull tabs of walnut!

ETA: oooh, just saw your other thread, cool!

I use a small Ghost whale pouch for a small metal ruler, pen & pencils, box cutter, etc - weird random tools and a 10' Stanley tape measure.... probably actually bigger than your Lufkin, but I grew up with Stanley

I like having the weird work tools all in one (packed) small GW pouch, so it can move from bag to bag
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. This minutia is my favorite kind. Great review!

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had me at X100 and Leica.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delightful details! I LOVE the curly walnut fobs, the index-card-sized clipboard (genius use of wing nut) and the shim idea!! Fantastic innovations!!
    Last edited by haraya; 09-23-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    and a 10' Stanley tape measure.... probably actually bigger than your Lufkin, but I grew up with Stanley
    I'm a Stanley devotee myself. I'm not usually far from the truck and we have countless tapes here at the shop. The compact tape is for emergencies. I have a few of the 10' Stanley 175th Anniversary tapes, which I would love to carry, just a little bulky for the bag. If you haven't seen those I'd recommend you check 'em out!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Delightful details! I LOVE the curly walnut fobs, the index-card-sized clipboard (genius use of wing nut) and the shim idea!! Fantastic innovations!!
    Wow, thanks a lot! I made a batch of the mini clipboards in the spring. Started out as a scrap piece of wood and a rubber band and evolved from there. They are super handy.

Here's another one from the same batch of curly walnut.

My Side Kick: In detail-img_1486-jpg
    Last edited by Generic Industries; 09-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Great report. I've wondered if I could get by with a Side Kick instead of my medium Cafe Bag, for everyday stuff. The one thing that wouldn't work for me in the Side Kick is my iPad.

I've also gone to a minimalist wallet, sometimes called a "front pocket" wallet. I use Apple Pay when available, even at Chevron stations when gassing up my car. Cash is becoming obsolete. And one can get by with much fewer cards.

When Iím having my most minimalist day, I carry a SCB. My carry includes a 9.7 iPad, water bottle, large sunglasses case (thick), minimalist wallet, and car key fob. Thereís still room left over.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~swoons~ If you had an Etsy shop I'd be all over that tiny clipboard!!
    Last edited by haraya; 09-23-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~swoons~. If you had an Etsy shop I'd be all over that tiny clipboard!!
    I don't even have a need for a tiny clipboard, but love the wood and the ingenuity of the design!

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks...I'm a Moleskin fan, currently use the 3.5 x 5.5 size, which is where my never ending "to do" list is. It's always with me.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~swoons~. If you had an Etsy shop I'd be all over that tiny clipboard!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I don't even have a need for a tiny clipboard, but love the wood and the ingenuity of the design!
    Thanks! You are very kind.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cute indeed, that clipboard!

My Side Kick feels a tiny TINY bit too small for me, but it's still a better choice for a shopping day paired with the Pop Tote than any bigger bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast