Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting! I hadn't given it tons of thought, G42, but I do like the hand of the Noirdic Halcyon exterior best, of all my bags.

My texture preferences would probably be something like: 400d Halcyon > 525 Ballistic > 210 Ballistic > 1050 Ballistic (for exteriors). I do love the sheen of 1050 but not enough to go with the heavier bags. Maybe only for something like a Yeoman Duffle which would be for supplemental loads, not as a main/one-bag.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I originally bought an A30 and A45 in 1050d thinking I wanted/needed more durability or stiffness. I have since bought an Original/Island A30 and I prefer it over the 1050 ballistic for the flexibility/feel in packing and carrying.

After using / packing a variety of bags over the past two years, I've migrated to the 400d as my preferred exterior, especially for the smaller bags. The bags that I still have in ballistic or cordura is because I love the colour so much or haven't freed up the money to replace them yet.

I'm one of the folks bummed that we're going down to only one 400d halcyon colour.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only big bag, the RB36, is 1050d. I think the fabric is just right for the bag, not too heavy at all. I do like the 525d in my smaller bags though.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, my main "personal item"-sized bag is in 525d Deep Blue, and I welcome the opportunity to match a new "main" bag's exterior to the smaller bag for aesthetic reasons.

If I am unhappy with the Deep Blue, I'll probably buy one in Navy; I suspect I'll still be able to find one, even if I need to go searching elsewhere or look for a trade.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Interesting. I think I would like a slightly floppier A45. Brand new it's so rigid and unfortunately I don't travel enough to expect it to soften up any time soon. For the Yeoman duffles I don't know that I would want it in the 525 since there's no structure there.
    Mine softened up after British Airways forced me to check it (cheapest seats mean you don't get overhead bin space on a full flight, I was very upset, especially since I can fit it under a seat on some planes if it's not overstuffed) but it's still got decent structural integrity when empty.

I would like a 525 version but definitely can't afford to get another Aeronaut 45! I've noticed that the 525 fabrics do show wear more than the 1050 do (across various colors and bags, not just a light-or-dark difference). It's something I consider if recommending a bag for someone to use professionally.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    As you can tell we are all individuals but with strong preferences. Guess thatís the downside of raving fans of your products!
    I liken it to.... have you ever been to a lecture or event and the Q&A at the end leads to a fascinating progression of the discussion beyond what the original presenter intended? Basically adding vibrancy overall to the event, and more back-and-forth. That's what it's like for us.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent materials discussion! I've got three custom backpacks for different climbing and mountaineering uses. All made by Dan McHale in Seattle, all three fifteen to seventeen years old and used a lot! Two of the packs are 1000 Cordura and my smaller one, on way over 500 peaks is an early dyneema. Not one single tear or rip in any of the three! This is a testament to excellent materials and workmanship. I also have had two Ballistic Tumi expandable briefcases, bought before I heard of Tom Bihn, one nearly new and the other used a lot, and sold and their Ballistic material was impervious to any rips or tears.

I mention this because almost any of the materials used here will withstand probably more abuse that you'll ever give it. The Co-Pilot I bought early on is 1050 Ballistic and not only has it held up extremely well after A LOT of use, it's held its shape. Dyneema, or Halcyon is great fabric but holding its shape, in my opinion, doesn't 'stand up' like the 1050 Ballistic. Durable? Of course, without any question.

My suggestion, get what material you think you'll like and use it to your heart's content. Tom Bihn makes phenomenal gear and their materials are... bullet proof. Enjoy!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Alphaviolet Luminary (original flavor; I am the second owner) has a few small marks that haven't come out after mild washing. I'm not upset - while I do take care of my bags I don't treat them like fine china either. But I feel like my bags in 1050 (Aubergine, Verde, and a red- I never can recall if it's Cardinal or Crimson) and new!Nordic Halcyon) have fewer marks on them even though they've traveled more.

With that said, I can't say I've noticed marks on my Alpha MCB, nor for that matter on either of my 210 Shop Bags (Dawn and Grass).

None of them have any wear to speak of - i.e. no holes or fuzzing, even though my son has used his Smart Alec as a baseball/school bag and dragged it though mud and thrown it on the ground over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I would like a 525 version but definitely can't afford to get another Aeronaut 45! I've noticed that the 525 fabrics do show wear more than the 1050 do (across various colors and bags, not just a light-or-dark difference). It's something I consider if recommending a bag for someone to use professionally.
    Last edited by haraya; 10-06-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I like the 525 colors better, (particularly Deep Blue vs. Navy and the "new" Aubergine), and I will appreciate even a slight weight-savings. So I'm interested to see the Western Flyer in 525 fabrics. However, one thing I've noticed with the products I already own is that the high sheen seems to make scuffs or marks more apparent. I'll have to see how the Western Flyer holds up in real-life use. I don't check these bags, so that's not an issue with me, but I seem to be pretty rough on them myself.
    I love the new Aubergine also and if my A45 werenít Aubergine/Sitka (SITKA!!), I would seriously consider destashing and buying a new one. But I love the Sitka too much to part with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just putting in a vote for the 1050 - overbuilt is the way to go in travel bags (and everything!)

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the lightness argument, but in that case I'd just get the Halcyon. I wouldn't have done that anyway, as the 1050 is about as flexible as I am comfortable with in the professional sphere.

I'm not planning on burning my bag when I'm through with it, so however green it is, it'll all just end up back where it started in a million years or so. Ho-hum

In any case, my 1050 WF will probably last forever, so I won't be forced into a decision anytime soon.

Meh, Mondays....

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    just putting in a vote for the 1050 - overbuilt is the way to go in travel bags (and everything!)
    Love this. Thatís exactly how I feel about it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm late to this discussion, but it's worth noting that Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Hill People Gear, and others make backpacks for backcountry hunters from 500D Cordura.

Keep in mind that backcountry hunters carry far more weight than any traveler, and they might be a two-day hike from their car if their bag fails.

Those companies have a reputation for making durable packs, and their customers demand it. If 500D wasn't up to the task, they'd have dropped it long ago. Given that -- and TB's attention to quality and detail -- I have no concern at all about the durability for 525 for travel use.
    Last edited by Buffalonian; 10-24-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Informative thread. While I’m glad I got my A45 while 1050 is still available having 525 instead wouldn’t have stopped me buying it.

The increased stiffness is preferable though I would say and if it’s possible to keep it going on the larger bags, that would be the best option.

525 seems like a perfect sweet spot for the smaller bags.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love having options, so having 1050 as an option, what's wrong with this?
    Having said this, I am wondering if those of you guys who are really worried with 1050 being dropped, is your concern predominantly for the bags, as opposed to backpacks?
    Synik 30 is only second to Aeronaut 45 volume-wise and yet it is from day one 525 only. I have not seen any concerns with 525 used for Synik posted here. And from what I read and from how the material feels on my Synik it should not be a problem. The pack maintains it's shape to a degree where I feel I would not need any better.

So is it really A45 which is a concern for most here?

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one2many View Post
    I love having options, so having 1050 as an option, what's wrong with this?
    Having said this, I am wondering if those of you guys who are really worried with 1050 being dropped, is your concern predominantly for the bags, as opposed to backpacks?
    Synik 30 is only second to Aeronaut 45 volume-wise and yet it is from day one 525 only. I have not seen any concerns with 525 used for Synik posted here. And from what I read and from how the material feels on my Synik it should not be a problem. The pack maintains it's shape to a degree where I feel I would not need any better.

So is it really A45 which is a concern for most here?
    Well there's the A30 and the brain bag at 36L (bottom is 1050), my concern would be for all of them - I'd prefer 1050 and halcyon 400 for all, plus the Synik is brand new so nobody has much run time plus nobody has one in 1050 so nobody would know what they're missing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast