Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one2many View Post
    I love having options, so having 1050 as an option, what's wrong with this? Smilie
    Having said this, I am wondering if those of you guys who are really worried with 1050 being dropped, is your concern predominantly for the bags, as opposed to backpacks?
    Synik 30 is only second to Aeronaut 45 volume-wise and yet it is from day one 525 only. I have not seen any concerns with 525 used for Synik posted here. And from what I read and from how the material feels on my Synik it should not be a problem. The pack maintains it's shape to a degree where I feel I would not need any better.

So is it really A45 which is a concern for most here?
    For me, I really like the idea of having 1050 options for the bags I consider travel luggage and would be at risk of being checked on an airplane or otherwise mishandled by someone that is not me. Ultimately this affects a small number of bags - the Aeronaut, Tristar, and Western Flyer come to mind.

Otherwise I have been mostly happy with the 525 and have enjoyed it on the backpacks that I own. I have a 1050 co-pilot, but think that or the pilot would work well in 525.

I am sure others have slightly different preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I've noticed that the 525 fabrics do show wear more than the 1050 do (across various colors and bags, not just a light-or-dark difference). It's something I consider if recommending a bag for someone to use professionally.
    I just found this thread after I had posted over here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...lifestyle.html

If I'm not confusing my fabrics, I've also noticed big difference in the wear of the lighter Cordura. I also don't like the sheen that the fabric displays, but I can overlook the shiny factor if it's a color that I love.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I've noticed that the 525 fabrics do show wear more than the 1050 do (across various colors and bags, not just a light-or-dark difference). It's something I consider if recommending a bag for someone to use professionally.
    I continue to be super bummed by this 525 decision - I get it's not a full 1050 retirement but TB bags in the desired colors / fabrics are already hard enough to get.

This is especially true for me as I've been building up to a decent 4 digit order for Jan/Feb (based on some planned lifestyle changes), but now, seeing the email, I'm fairly convinced i won't be able to get the bags I want in 1050 (and I don't like 525 - they already have 400 for gosh sakes, which i have a bunch of!) so i've started shopping around other brands.

Darcy - please keep the black 1050 (northwest or island interior) in your bags!

My first choice is TB in black 1050, but if I can't that I'll have to more/less leave the brand (or it's leaving me?). Major bummer.

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite Tom Bihn fabrics are 1050 nylon and Cordura. Cordura is pretty much gone I think so if they discontinued 1050 fabric I would be sorry.
    Lately I've already started buying gear from other brands that offer 1050, Cordura and xpac backpacks, even if they don't have the same charm and the same build quality as TB.

Edit: for pouches, accessories and smaller bags I really like Halcyon (especially in the most striking colours)! Smilie
    Last edited by giuliof; 11-03-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another vote for 1050. Hopefully it stays.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1050 Cadet and a 525 Pilot.....I prefer the 1050 stiffness. Just sayin’

Chris D.Cool
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my Synik30 in 525 and LYD in 1050. I like the material choices TB did for both of them. 525 is perfect for 30L bag IMO, however for a large bag I'd prefer 1050. I hope TB is listening Smilie

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one2many View Post
    I have my Synik30 in 525 and LYD in 1050. I like the material choices TB did for both of them. 525 is perfect for 30L bag IMO, however for a large bag I'd prefer 1050. I hope TB is listening Smilie
    We're listening! At this point, we expect to keep our original 1050d Black an option on the Aeronauts, Tri-Stars, Yeomans and Western Flyers at the very least. And there may be some future options... one of which could be a 1050d that's bluesign certified like our other ballistics.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    And there may be some future options... one of which could be a 1050d that's bluesign certified like our other ballistics.
    That would be outstanding if you can do it. I really appreciate TB's efforts to be as ethical and environmentally responsible as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're listening! At this point, we expect to keep our original 1050d Black an option on the Aeronauts, Tri-Stars, Yeomans and Western Flyers at the very least. And there may be some future options... one of which could be a 1050d that's bluesign certified like our other ballistics.
    Awesome news! Thank you for listening to us.

Chris D.
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, not black 1050. At least keep aubergine 1050.

And if you're retiring Wasabi, I hope you have another LIGHT, bright color planned for interior Halcyon. Something in the yellow or orange range would be nice.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-06-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Ah, not black 1050. At least keep aubergine 1050.

And if you're retiring Wasabi, I hope you have another LIGHT, bright color planned for interior Halcyon. Something in the yellow or orange range would be nice.
    Agreed. Blue and orange would be a great combo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy and TB! Excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well folks, I'm stoked that 525 Ballistic is going to become an option for the Western Flyer, I currently use an older version without the backpack straps (version with a zipped back pocket that if opened allows the bag to be slid down the handle of a roll-aboard). The 1050 is quality for sure, but for a bag the size of the WF, way overbuilt IMHO. I expect durability not immortality!! For the size, with the ABSS, its heavy empty, - at least my impression.

I've a stable of Patagonia MLC's from an original, through various iterations. The later ones use a much lighter fabric & work fine. OK, I've yet to get hands-on time with 525, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with it. For those who demand their bag keep it's shape like a sharp dressed man, sure, I get that you've more confidence in the 1050.. For my purposes I'd much rather greater flexibility - especially when stuffing duty free!!

Hats off to the design team for giving us the choice of 525 in the first place!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @horizon99, and thanks for posting on the forums!

One of the things I'm excited about is that the 525d has my favorite color selection among all of TB's fabrics right now, with a range from black through subdued colors like Nebulous Grey and Deep Blue to the brighter hues like Burnt Orange and Mars Red (and I believe a plan to add Coyote in the next year). Do you have a particular color in mind for your WF?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast