Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All bags changing from Ballistic 1050 to 525 - is that a good idea?

When 525 ballistic came out I was thrilled to have a further ballistic option but in a slightly lighter version well suited to smaller EDC bags (Pilot, Synapse etc).

But looking online today, it seems the luggage bags (Aeronaut/WF) are also transitioning to the lighter fabric. I'm not sure how I feel about that. As a frequent traveller, the 1050 ballistic is supposed to be that Ďbombproof' fabric that will last a lifetime.

I also don't want the lighter flexibility of the 525 in a big bag where keeping its shape is important to me.
    Maybe I missed an announcement of 1050 being retired but I can't see both 525 and 1050 being offered side by side as options.

This would be a real shame to lose 1050 in the big bags, and one that would make me think twice further purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    When 525 ballistic came out I was thrilled to have a further ballistic option but in a slightly lighter version well suited to smaller EDC bags (Pilot, Synapse etc).

But looking online today, it seems the luggage bags (Aeronaut/WF) are also transitioning to the lighter fabric. I'm not sure how I feel about that. As a frequent traveller, the 1050 ballistic is supposed to be that Ďbombproof' fabric that will last a lifetime.

I also don't want the lighter flexibility of the 525 in a big bag where keeping its shape is important to me.
    Maybe I missed an announcement of 1050 being retired but I can't see both 525 and 1050 being offered side by side as options.

This would be a real shame to lose 1050 in the big bags, and one that would make me think twice further purchases.

Agreed. 525 Ballistic is, in my opinion, a great lighter but still robust compromise for bags such as day-sacks, shoulder bags. But for main luggage such as Aeronauts which might occasionally need to be checked-in luggage so prone to rough handling, I would be disappointed to lose the extra reinforcement of 1050 Ballistic. This is what attracted me to my first Tom Bihn bag purchases. Hopefully both will still be offered.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of the luggage bags and duffels moving to 525. For anything that's likely to take abuse, I really want 1050. I'm really glad I ordered my WF when I did, I wouldn't want to have to get it in 525.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darknova306 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the luggage bags and duffels moving to 525. For anything that's likely to take abuse, I really want 1050. I'm really glad I ordered my WF when I did, I wouldn't want to have to get it in 525.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Exactly how I feel. Not sure 525 is up to the big bag potential abuse for travel.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have missed this. I have been a long time TB person, and losing 1050 Ballistic for the larger bags is a challenge: esp for Aeronauts, Western Flyer, etc., I have had to check the Aeronaut a couple of times, and I swear by the 1050 Ballistic. I know that some of the change was made to save on costs, apart from the lightness of fabric; but that would be a shame if there is no option at all.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered one of the remaining Cadets in 1050 Ballistic. So glad it was the steel color exterior

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post

But looking online today, it seems the luggage bags (Aeronaut/WF) are also transitioning to the lighter fabric. I'm not sure how I feel about that. As a frequent traveller, the 1050 ballistic is supposed to be that ‘bombproof' fabric that will last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I must have missed this. I have been a long time TB person, and losing 1050 Ballistic for the larger bags is a challenge: esp for Aeronauts, Western Flyer, etc., I have had to check the Aeronaut a couple of times, and I swear by the 1050 Ballistic. I know that some of the change was made to save on costs, apart from the lightness of fabric; but that would be a shame if there is no option at all.
    @Perseffect, @Shiva,

The earliest forum discussion about moving from 1050d to 525d Ballistic Nylon from Darcy is in her 9-24-2019 post (#1937 in the Discussion of New Colors, New Designs thread). Specifically, the 1050d Ballistic fabrics are not retired yet, but they’re heading towards using more 525d Ballistic Nylon because they do well on the abrasion tests, with 70% the weight of the 1050d ballistic fibers, and also be the environmental impact of their manufacturing processes have greener footprints.

HTH,

moriond

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Moriond for the links, I had missed this thread. So a few thoughts based on Darcyís comments.

Eco credentials - definitely worth the materials swap to 525. Canít argue with that.

Weight - 525 is 70% of 1050 weight. Good but not much of a saving for other reduction in benefits.

Flexibility - not mentioned but Iíd prefer less flexibility in larger bags

Durability - suggests the same as 1050. Not sure about this (not questioning their testing though). In normal wear and tear abrasion resistance perhaps but to extreme tear resistance (from those rare but possible extreme travel accidents) thatís the comfort of using the big travel bags. I choose the best material specifically for this issue.

Sheen - Suggestion that 525 is shinier, subjectively Iíve noticed this. I much prefer the Matt of the 1050 with the thicker thread weave.

Cost - not mentioned but wonder if 525 is cheaper to TB than 1050 (probably not a lot in it to be fair)

So overall Iím still not convinced this is a smart way to go for the big bags. For most people, it may be a good compromise so I guess the majority will go for it.

But there may be some who donít. At the moment, I think Iím yet to be convinced.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denier is nothing more than the weight of the individual threads. It is not about durability.

As an example, if you think that a 1680d ballistic nylon is more durable than a 1050d ballistic nylon, you'd be wrong. Why? Because the 1050d is a double weave while the 1680 is a single weave. The double weave is stronger. The 525d that TB is using is a double weave as well. It is also ballistic nylon. So, in terms of durability, there won't be too much of a difference. Even if the bag gets checked or bounced around, it is not going to come apart.

You will however, have a slighty lighter weight bag.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like some of you are rushing to conclusions about whether the structural qualities of the 525d are good enough for the larger bags. First, there’s plenty of evidence that it is, based on the synik and other bags. Second, you haven’t actually seen a 525d A30 or A45 bag in person yet. Based on my limited experience comparing smaller bags made in 210 and 525 ((TC and PCBS), I’d say the 525d has more than enough structural rigidity. Personally, I find the thickness and rigidity of the 1050d to be unnecessary and “too much.” I’ll be happily trading out the 1050d A45 I just bought for the 525d version. EBAY, here I come!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very pleased about the weight savings and environmental footprint. I just got a pop tote in the lighter weight and would be happy to have a bigger bag in this material.

Regarding "checking" -- this is specific to flying. As we all reduce our flying, how a bag responds to being checked is less of an issue. Of course they should be rugged, but loading into bus and train baggage areas is not the same as being tossed around outside our control. On the other hand, being lightweight *is* a concern as you tote your bag around more yourself. And of course a lighter weight bag will use less fuel to transport regardless of the means of transport.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1050 Ballistic is still used, so plan your future purchases accordingly.

For example, if you have been eyeing an A30 for sometimes, in Coyote and/or Burnt Orange, now is the time to place your Holidays/Future Travel or even Birthday (if you are an Autumn or early Winter baby) big haul, (big bag, accessories and small Holiday presents), that would save on shipping.

The same would be said for the Western Flyer, Tristar and A45.

It looks like the next production batch is all Ballistic 525, could it be a first batch of lightweight Ballistic TB Travel Bags, available for the Holidays?
    I don't know.

Darcy, other TB Crew members? Inquiring to the Mothership about the production timeline of the items above, to help out new and veterans forum members alike.

Some people might want to rush to get the Mars Red offerings, just a hunch here.

A lightweight TB Luggage Bag option, in Ballistic, is very exiting!
    Last edited by backpack; 09-30-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Denier is nothing more than the weight of the individual threads. It is not about durability.

As an example, if you think that a 1680d ballistic nylon is more durable than a 1050d ballistic nylon, you'd be wrong. Why? Because the 1050d is a double weave while the 1680 is a single weave. The double weave is stronger. The 525d that TB is using is a double weave as well. It is also ballistic nylon. So, in terms of durability, there won't be too much of a difference. Even if the bag gets checked or bounced around, it is not going to come apart.

You will however, have a slighty lighter weight bag.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    This is an interesting point but one I canít really correlate specifically to the 2 different TB choices. I think I understand that 525 is not half the durability of 1050, but the concern is less durability overall.

I wonder just how much of a reduction in durability 525 is to the current 1050 choice. And more importantly, if this reduction is enough for the rougher baggage handler environments.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    First, thereís plenty of evidence that it is, based on the synik and other bags. Second, you havenít actually seen a 525d A30 or A45 bag in person yet.
    Itís a great point, no-one has seen the bigger bags yet in 525. However i donít think the Synik is evidence that a bigger bag would be suited to 525. Iíve owned a couple of Synapse 25s in 525 and I definitely donít think it would scale well to anything larger.

But then Iíve always preferred the 1050 to other options so itís certainly a personal preference.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 525 colors better, (particularly Deep Blue vs. Navy and the "new" Aubergine), and I will appreciate even a slight weight-savings. So I'm interested to see the Western Flyer in 525 fabrics. However, one thing I've noticed with the products I already own is that the high sheen seems to make scuffs or marks more apparent. I'll have to see how the Western Flyer holds up in real-life use. I don't check these bags, so that's not an issue with me, but I seem to be pretty rough on them myself.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast