Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Ballistic Steel Looking Green?

Over the past months, my ballistic steel/island Tristar is looking more and more green in certain lights. It must have happened gradually because I never noticed it.

I've tried to photograph it, but it always comes out looking grey in pictures but it definitely looks green in the flesh. The kicker was when a non-bag-guy colleague told me he preferred my old grey bag. Smirk

It's never been washed or exposed to crazy UV (I live in the UK!).

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same experience? It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to think twice before picking it up for a trip. Frown

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just you... my recently purchased Cadet also has a hint of green. If it bothers you maybe go with nebulous gray!

All the best!
    Chris D.
    Last edited by Chris D.; 10-06-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a greenish shade turns up in some batches of Steel, though I've never heard of the color changing over time!

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...green-hue.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...green-hue.html
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of the non greenish hued batches of steel (personal preference), and I will forever miss the steel dyneema/halcyon, as that was the perfect shade of steel IMHO.

You may get a kick out of this older thread of steel love: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...teelpants.html

ETA: Nebulous gray is now one of my most loved ballistic bag colors, and I am an unconditional fan of it over steel in ballistic.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 10-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My steel RB36 also has that green to it and I absolutely love it. I like this grey much better than the more traditional grey like Nebulous Grey. In my experience it depends on the lighting how much of the green is visible. Did you have any weather changes? Maybe itís due to sunny days changing to clouded overcast fall weather. Also I feel that sometimes if someone makes us aware of something we canít unsee it. Now that youíve seen the green itís more obvious. I donít think the fabric color changed, just your perception and maybe the natural lighting.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard of the colour changing over time, but as folks have noted, some steel batches have an undertone of green. I happen to like it, but it's not for everyone.
    I think @b1gsky has it... changing light with the seasons and now you have really noticed it.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you evaluating the color of your Ballistic Steel? What kind of lighting are you using, incandescent, fluorescent, LED, daylight? There's less sunlight in the Northern hemisphere, effecting the lights you use to evaluate...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was definitely at least one batch of Steel that had a tinge of green.

See this thread for more discussion: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ht=steel+green

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Where are you evaluating the color of your Ballistic Steel? What kind of lighting are you using, incandescent, fluorescent, LED, daylight? There's less sunlight in the Northern hemisphere, effecting the lights you use to evaluate...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your input. b1gsky, I think you may be right - it may be the season that's changed and now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. I've looked at the bag in a number of different lights and it always leans towards a shade of green that I don't especially like.

Argh... I was convinced this would be a forever bag.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Thanks all for your input. b1gsky, I think you may be right - it may be the season that's changed and now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. I've looked at the bag in a number of different lights and it always leans towards a shade of green that I don't especially like.

Argh... I was convinced this would be a forever bag.
    Maybe you can trade it with someone! There are people who like the greenish tint.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Maybe you can trade it with someone! There are people who like the greenish tint.
    Thanks, yes, I'll look into it. If I'm honest, I feel a little crestfallen now. On one hand, I hate to be the type of guy that lets something cosmetic affect my enjoyment of the bag. On the other, I've learned that, when the slightest thing bugs me about a thing, it'll always bug me. Sorry, don't mind me - I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my steel DOP has a greenish cast that I don't love. I definitely prefer Nebulous. In fact, I adore Nebulous. Have multiple bags in Nebulous, am tempted to get every bag just do I can get them all in Nebulous.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Yeah, my steel DOP has a greenish cast that I don't love. I definitely prefer Nebulous. In fact, I adore Nebulous. Have multiple bags in Nebulous, am tempted to get every bag just do I can get them all in Nebulous.
    Hi Lia
    Is there a big difference (in color) between 210, 525 and 1050 ballistic Nebulous grey? Which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    Hi Lia
    Is there a big difference (in color) between 210, 525 and 1050 ballistic Nebulous grey? Which do you prefer?

Thanks!
    Hi...I'm not Lia, but Nebulous Grey is a fairly new colour and currently only exists in 525 Ballistic.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a side effect in Nebulous gray that I loved and complemented my Deep Blue Synapse perfectly. Thought that Steel for my A45 would be similar enough but was a little disappointed in the green tint that was more prevalent than I had expected. Now that the A45 is coming out in Nebulous/Island my favorite combo I may just sell my Steel and get a Nebulous Grey A45 hmm...