Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any new / returning duffel bag designs soon?

So, it looks like the Road Buddys will be retiring, and the NFTD has been retired.

That leaves the Yeoman Duffel as the only duffel bag left in the TB lineup.

Will the NTFD come back in some form, or are there any new duffel bag designs in the pipeline?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLEASE answer this!!!
    Brain Bag ■ | Synapse 25 ■ | Pilot

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really sad to hear that the Road Buddies are going to be retired so soon after introduction! My RB36 has been with me on every single trip since I bought it and it's such a great bag. Seems like too few people saw the magic... (But I'm definitely also voting for a return of the NFTD or something similar.)

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I was really sad to hear that the Road Buddies are going to be retired so soon after introduction! My RB36 has been with me on every single trip since I bought it and it's such a great bag. Seems like too few people saw the magic... (But I'm definitely also voting for a return of the NFTD or something similar.)
    I'm with you 1,000%!!! I love my RB60 in Coyote. What a great travel bag! Might have to grab a RB36 just in case.

Definitely surprised it's being retired and agree that most probably didn't see or feel the magic. I never ordered the NFTD as it seemed to small for what I needed at the time. For anyone on the fence, the Road Buddy bags are amazing!! Go for it Smilie
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, no! I have only just spotted this! I love my Road Buddies and the Road Duffel that preceded it. Also the NFTD. I shall be really sorry to see them retired. Frown

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a possibility that the NFTD will return someday, though not anytime soon. And there's a duffel-ish design Tom's been working on.

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    PLEASE answer this!!!
    What kind of duffel are you hoping for @julia and others? (In addition to an updated NFTD.)

Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I'm with you 1,000%!!! I love my RB60 in Coyote. What a great travel bag! Might have to grab a RB36 just in case.

Definitely surprised it's being retired and agree that most probably didn't see or feel the magic. I never ordered the NFTD as it seemed to small for what I needed at the time. For anyone on the fence, the Road Buddy bags are amazing!! Go for it Smilie
    I'm sad too! I love my Road Buddies (and my Skookum Duffels!)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Noes! My Skookum Duffel is my favorite TB bag. I was so thrilled when it returned as the Road Buddy. Well, that's a sure way to FORCE me to buy another one. Just bought the navy I've been thinking about forever. I'm turning it into a TARDIS. I still have extra TARDIS patches from when I turned my navy Pop Tote into a TARDIS. The Road Buddy is crying to be a TARDIS, too.

I seriously like the RB design much better than the Aeronaught, although both have their uses (and a place in my closet 'o bags).
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-10-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I enjoy the duffel option- both small like the NFTD and larger (road line). I gravitate toward the middle amount of compartments in comparison to the Yeomen which i almost equate to being a black hole duffel. I think bags like the SE and side kick are on the upper end with too much organization/material.

I don't always want a backpack when i think about gym and road emergency and road trip uses which is what i ultimately think these bags will be used for in my house. the carry-all, "lets get out of here" mode still needing some item access and functionality.

I also loved the petite size of the NFTD while capturing so much volume. In person it feels way smaller than a S19 and yet i enjoy it because the lack of clamshell makes it more approachable to stuff. knowing it can be a perfect size for a camera bag is helpful too.

RBs JUST started grabbing my attention maybe two months ago when my car started needing more organization- i've really slept on them. they will either live in my car holding emergency items or be my road trip bags. depending on the RB36 it may end up being a gym bag as well as a regular go to. i have kept more of the non-TB duffel style bags in use in my house as i've tried many TB bags... i think duffels will always be a classic everyone understands. i'm saying that in comparison to showing a nonTBer the average diaper bag or backpack a TB product... a duffel is one of the simplest.

mobile & 7am- sorry for typos.
    Last edited by julia; 10-11-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NFTD -- for sure -- holds more than the Synapse 19. I've done side-by-side packing tests. The rectangular shape is wonderful for maximizing capacity, and the three-part organization makes it more functional without getting in the way by having too many compartments. I'm sad that I ended up with only a black/steel one.

I don't use it all the time when I travel, but I won't sell it unless something else comes along that fits that niche. The Pop Tote kind of does, but isn't as comfortable to carry with heavier loads, due to not having a shoulder strap.

I only wish the NFTD had been tweaked to fit current electronic needs; I have an iPad Mini, but if the middle compartment was just a tiny bit larger, it would be better for those with larger iPads, as well as accommodating a change of clothes more easily. It would have been really great if the bags in that size range were standardized a little more so they all used the same packing cubes; for instance, if the NFTD could be sized to hold a small Western Flyer packing cube.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 10-11-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    There's a possibility that the NFTD will return someday, though not anytime soon. And there's a duffel-ish design Tom's been working on.

What kind of duffel are you hoping for @julia and others? (In addition to an updated NFTD.)
    I think a duffel between 30 and 45 liters...maybe an A36 or similar?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMafia View Post
    I think a duffel between 30 and 45 liters...maybe an A36 or similar?
    Well that IS the Road Buddy 36! Just without backpack straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes... definitely just enjoying the current offering of duffels. Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    And there's a duffel-ish design Tom's been working on.
    I like to read between the lines. The Aeronaut's are considered to be 'duffel-ish' to some degree. The aeronaut had updates in 2014 and 2017 so about 3 year update cycle and next year is 2020. There is mention of the possibility of future return of a NFTD. The road duffel is being retired shortly after being introduced. A small hint was made that the next bag is codename Trinity. Trinity implies a group of 3.

Could that mean a trinity of a new personal item, carry-on, and cargo duffel line is near?

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    A small hint was made that the next bag is codename Trinity. Trinity implies a group of 3.

Could that mean a trinity of a new personal item, carry-on, and cargo duffel line is near?
    I read that and thought about the three sections in the Stowaway (if you utilized the backpack strap compartment.)

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I read that and thought about the three sections in the Stowaway (if you utilized the backpack strap compartment.)
    Yes, I may be wrong but I think I've read somewhere that the Trinity is the Stowaway replacement.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast