Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: One bag?

Carlisle Arkansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One bag?

Headed to Vegas to play Breeder’s Cup next weekend......trying to go very light with one bag carryon....looking as light as pop tote, empire builder, or daylight bp......thoughts?....William R
    Last edited by William R; 10-24-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    Headed to Vegas to play Breeder’s Cup next weekend......trying to go very light with one bag carryon....looking as light as pop tote, empire builder, or daylight bp......thoughts?....William R
    Welcome to the Forums @WilliamR!

The DLBP might give you the most flexibility in terms of carrying everything there and then unpacking/leaving in your room your stuff and only walking around with the DLBP and whatever you need for the day... if there are no restrictions on bringing a small pack, you have stuff to carry etc.
    If you have a specific packing list, folks can chime in on how well it might fit in the respective bags.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums!

Among those choices, I guess you've got the main carry-method options covered: hand, cross-body/shoulder, and backpack.

The DLBP seems like it would take up the least room in tight quarters and can be the most comfortable for medium-weight packing lists, but its contents will be the least accessible (since it's behind you most of the time).
    The EB is the only cross-body option, which some people really value for security and accessibility, but it's also the heaviest to carry around all the time. Some people don't like to deal with the flap.
    The PT is the easiest to keep secure and accessible; if you like the look, don't mind that it can't cross-body, and have a light enough load, it seems like a good compromise.

As @G42 said, a packing list might help. Do you plan to leave things in your room or keep it all on you all the time? What kinds of spaces will you be in?

Carlisle Arkansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another point for this trip is that I have lots of other tb options....synapse 19....25...brain bag....yeomen duffels...a30....etc..just want to really go light w one carryon.....will unpack at the room for sure.....packing list....3 pr socks, 3 pair of undies, 1 pr gym sorts, 1 pair of warmups

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S19 would be good, but what size YD have you got? A small YD (or even Mini) with a DLBP packed within for the duration of the journey, but DLBP when you leave your room would be possible.
    Personally I would opt for the YD and DLBP folded/rolled.

Carlisle Arkansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds great!......thanks

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that matter, it sounds like your whole clothes packing list might fit in a stuff sack (or packing cube), so you could probably use the bag of your choice and just "unpack" by lifting the stuff sack and toiletries out of the bag, then put your dirty clothes back in the stuff sack to repack at the end of the trip.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    Another point for this trip is that I have lots of other tb options....synapse 19....25...brain bag....yeomen duffels...a30....etc..just want to really go light w one carryon.....will unpack at the room for sure.....packing list....3 pr socks, 3 pair of undies, 1 pr gym sorts, 1 pair of warmups
    You can definitely use DLBP for those items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Carlisle Arkansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One final thought.......how bout using my brain bag with daylight briefcase rolled up inside to use when I get to Vegas?

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at this thread, there are a couple of people who mention the Daylight Briefcase as being their favorite day bag, so I bet that would work great.

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...r-tristar.html

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Daylight Briefcase as my personal bag with my electronics and items I want close at hand for the flight and it can be worn at the same time as a backpack. It makes a great urban day bag too.

If you are going to stash it on your Brain Bag, try packing it flat vs rolling it. It becomes a lump to manage when rolled, bit is just a thin layer packed flat. It could be used like a packing cube as well.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, the Pilot has always worked better for me for a flight/day/rollup bag due to its 2 big rectangular pockets (which works great for electronics, batteries, etc), the rear pocket which is large enough for a 16" laptop in a cache AND power cords, and then it has the center pocket for a coffee mug (or umbrella or whatever).

I"ll typically have food in one front pocket (big enough for a small thermal lunch container!); batteries, cords, pens, access cards / keys, etc in the other one; coffee, water or whatever in the middle; then a laptop or coat or camera/lens in the back pocket. With the luggage pass-through you can put foam camera wrap in the back, or an empty cache, for bag structure.

As a matter of course for business trips I roll-up the Pilot and put it in an S25 for air travel (occasionally I use it for a flight bag, but usually the S25 + PCSB), and then on-the-ground it becomes my briefcase and/or day bag.