Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LYD question

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    II'll hit a thrift store, pick up a bowling ball, and let you know.
    I am afraid it will take you a bit of practicing to have a ball hitting the bag though, since I imagine that required height for the ball to fail the bag would be quite largeSmilie
    Shooting is a perishable skill Smilie

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what we were able to do today:

Dropping a Bowling Ball into a Shop Bag

First drop was at 4 feet, second drop was at eight feet. No resulting issues w/the Shop Bag. Bowling ball is 14.53 lbs.

Music credit for the first video: our break time clock.

We'll save a higher drop for our Materials Testing: 2020 video Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what we were able to do today:
    Thank you for making my Friday afternoon LYD question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll save a higher drop for our Materials Testing: 2020 video Smilie
    Hooray for the wonderful video, now the suspense awaiting the final 2020 video. I hope it is not difficult to get SpaceX to participate or securing a drop from the space needle for this trial.

On the first materials video, the lady driving the car appears to be having a lot of fun. I had a slight expectation when the video panned to the driver, that one of the four-legged factory friends would be sitting behind the wheel for theatrical effect.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what we were able to do today:[/I] video Smilie
    That’s amazing! LYD question

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was telling my mom about this bowling ball test (I’m trying so hard to convince them to try packing cubes and TB bags on their next trip) and this was her response:

“Just a thought: TB should name the test after the guy who asked the question and it would be the standard for ratings in bag strength. ie: this bag has a George Test rating of 8’.
    LYD question

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the first video, maybe a hundred times, still, at the end, I say Oh! I just did that 5 minutes ago.

I also watched Ben's drop test onto the twin of my LSB, prompting me to check if mine was securely in its place, it is and is still used as an EDC because we have and had some days of sunny cold weather.

The test keeps me secure into my Small Zippered Shop Bag abilities as art supply store purveyor of the winter haul, if not big enough, the Medium Yeoman can help.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to work at TB just to be on the stress test team! Wink

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LYD has been delivered today. Thank you TB for very quick turn-around and for excellent bag!
    Update here (post #7)
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ew-addict.html

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're making a list of what we can show in the 2020 video in addition to the bowling ball (err, "organicfarmer" test) so feel free to make suggestions!

There's various tests we do that aren't featured in the original video, perhaps because they take more time or we've come up with them since that video was filmed... one example: a flag of triangular or rectangular pieces of each fabric we make in various colors, hung outside in all weather (summer sun, winter snow, spring rain...) over weeks, months, years.

Hmm. Maybe a potato gun test? Nik and Robert are building a laser machine for the factory, but I don't think anything would stand up to the laser Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're making a list of what we can show in the 2020 video in addition to the bowling ball (err, "organicfarmer" test) so feel free to make suggestions!

There's various tests we do that aren't featured in the original video, perhaps because they take more time or we've come up with them since that video was filmed... one example: a flag of triangular or rectangular pieces of each fabric we make in various colors, hung outside in all weather (summer sun, winter snow, spring rain...) over weeks, months, years.

Hmm. Maybe a potato gun test? Nik and Robert are building a laser machine for the factory, but I don't think anything would stand up to the laser Smilie
    YAY thanks! I can't wait to watch the future videos *drool*
    just a Bihnion here

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, e-mail sent & thanks. It was a lot of fun.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the shoutout for the naming the test after me, I am honored. In all seriousness, I feel it could be better served not by my username or given name, but more fitting name is the name I am often called 'Crazy' and I wear it with a badge of honor. "You're going to grow corn without pesticides? You're Crazy" "You left home at 2am to be here at 5am? You're crazy" "You've been working since 6am yesterday morning? You're crazy." And I could go on and on. I never cared what others think, but I knew I was onto something when I came across the quote often attributed to Apple, this is my favorite iteration:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. The troublemakers. The problem child. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you cannot do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that has never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? We make tools for these kinds of people. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true. Crazy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2