Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LYD question

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LYD question

How much weight can one carry in the Large Yeoman Duffel (72L) using shoulder strap? Since I liter of water is 1kg weight, can it be 72kg (158.7#)?
    Are shoulder strap attachment points reinforced with rivets and/or hidden polyester strips? Is plastic capable of withstanding the weight?
    Thanks.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m no expert but 158lbs seems to be too much weight for this bag....72L is based on volume and doesn’t equate to weight.

Chris D.
    Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel (Burnt Orange)

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one2many View Post
    How much weight can one carry in the Large Yeoman Duffel (72L) using shoulder strap? Since I liter of water is 1kg weight, can it be 72kg (158.7#)?
    Are shoulder strap attachment points reinforced with rivets and/or hidden polyester strips? Is plastic capable of withstanding the weight?
    Thanks.
    I've had 78lbs in my A45 and hiked it about 2 miles via the shoulder straps ... are you thinking of hanging it and filling it or something? (unless you're The Rock) I have no idea what TB would say, but I'd put about a 150lb max limit on the bags with about 100lbs being the most i'd ever try to move routinely. If you are, maybe goruck, mystery ranch or triple aught?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I will not carry this much weight Smilie
    The reason i am asking is I want to understand what those plastic shoulder strap attachment clips and corresponding loops were designed to withstand. I had number of large bags ripped out when heavily packed and picked up (say from a luggage carousel etc.).
    I assume TB is much better wrt reinforcements on these weak points, just want to get some idea about the design.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    No, I will not carry this much weight Smilie
    The reason i am asking is I want to understand what those plastic shoulder strap attachment clips and corresponding loops were designed to withstand. I had number of large bags ripped out when heavily packed and picked up (say from a luggage carousel etc.).
    I assume TB is much better wrt reinforcements on these weak points, just want to get some idea about the design.
    We bartack the shoulder strap attachment points, and the bartacks are stronger than rivets. Bartacks are reinforcing stitches that we use liberally in high stress areas on our bags: where shoulder straps or grab handles join the main body of the bag, where a critical seam ends and begins ó anywhere necessary to make 100% sure the stitching on your bag never fails. The Yeoman Duffel has 14 bartacks. Smilie Not sure about "hidden polyester strips" -- do you have an example of that?

We tested the plastic shoulder strap attachment points themselves to have a combined maximum load of 520lbs.

So, between the bartacks, the strength of the fabric itself, and the load the plastic shoulder strap attachment points is able to hold... we'd end up with a bag that could be loaded so heavy that, long before any part of the bag would fail, a mere mortal wouldn't actually be able pick it up.

And I'm glad you asked these questions, in no small part because it gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite videos that we've ever made... Smilie

TOM BIHN: Materials Testing
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummmm, that video is amazing.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Darcy for very detailed reply and for sharing the video. Nothing more required to address any type of bag performance concern Smilie

To answer your question, what I call "hidden polyester strips" (perhaps wrongly) is additional pieces of polyester sewn into a bag body (usually a leather ones) at the stress points of straps or handles attachments.

Thank you.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your question, what I call "hidden polyester strips" (perhaps wrongly) is additional pieces of polyester sewn into a bag body (usually a leather ones) at the stress points of straps or handles attachments.
    In cheaper bags, you won’t see that extra piece as it’s sewn between the outside of the bag and the liner. Until it tears!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We tested the plastic shoulder strap attachment points themselves to have a combined maximum load of 520lbs. ... we'd end up with a bag that could be loaded so heavy that, long before any part of the bag would fail, a mere mortal wouldn't actually be able pick it up.
    BADARSE! This is my favorite post.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB designs are as great as their team!
    Thanks to Darcy and Kat, just ordered my LYD Smilie
    This is 3 packs/bags bought in just few weeks Smilie

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB designs are as great as their team!
    Thanks to Darcy and Kat, just ordered my LYD Smilie
    This is 3 packs/bags bought in just few weeks Smilie
    Hope you love your Yeoman as much as I love the ones I have (see here, here and here) and thank you for your orders Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a fun video.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago several of us were sent fabric swatches so we could preform torture tests. Try as I might I could barely get the surface of my swatch scratched, let alone wear a hole in it. Sure was fun trying though.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is likely the best thread to a question I have thought about for some time now.

Imagine a shop bag with each handle hanging on secure hooks to hold bag in a way making it held open. Now from whatever height required, drop a bowling ball into the bag. Which fails first? Does the fabric rip at point of contact to the bowling ball OR does the fabric rip along a seam OR does a seam break/tear apart?

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Many years ago several of us were sent fabric swatches so we could preform torture tests. Try as I might I could barely get the surface of my swatch scratched, let alone wear a hole in it. Sure was fun trying though.
    I forgot about that! Hmm. @Moose want to try that again? Send me an email: darcy@tombihn.com

Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    This is likely the best thread to a question I have thought about for some time now.

Imagine a shop bag with each handle hanging on secure hooks to hold bag in a way making it held open. Now from whatever height required, drop a bowling ball into the bag. Which fails first? Does the fabric rip at point of contact to the bowling ball OR does the fabric rip along a seam OR does a seam break/tear apart?
    I like how you think. I'll hit a thrift store, pick up a bowling ball, and let you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast