Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipper pull colors to accent Deep Blue?

I’m planning to get a Deep Blue Synik 22 when they’re back in stock. I’d like to get some zipper pulls that nicely accent the blue fabric and black zippers.

Does anyone have another Deep Blue bag with zipper ties that are neither blue nor black? I’m thinking that red or Wasabi might be fun. Ultraviolet looks quite nice on the web site photos but I’m not sure how it would look in person against the blue.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just got a lovely Deep Blue/ Wasabi S19 that I've been playing with zipper pulls for this weekend! Currently the only one I have on there is a non-TB rainbow with cord I got from Michael's (US craft store), but I'm actually planning on adding some island and uv ones later today. I'll take some pics when I do! I also have Wasabi cord and can toss one on just for comparison, though I don't have any Iberian.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put some red zipper pulls on my Navy Synapse 30 and I like the color combo very much. First I had all in red but then I decided for combination of black and red (see here).
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    I actually just got a lovely Deep Blue/ Wasabi S19 that I've been playing with zipper pulls for this weekend! Currently the only one I have on there is a non-TB rainbow with cord I got from Michael's (US craft store), but I'm actually planning on adding some island and uv ones later today. I'll take some pics when I do! I also have Wasabi cord and can toss one on just for comparison, though I don't have any Iberian.

Not the greatest lighting, but here's an example - random rainbow, Island (I realize you weren't looking for blue, but it was what I had on the bag), Ultraviolet and Wasabi. I quite like all of them, the deep blue is delightfully versatile.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    Not the greatest lighting, but here's an example - random rainbow, Island (I realize you weren't looking for blue, but it was what I had on the bag), Ultraviolet and Wasabi.
    Thank you so much for sharing! Island looks surprisingly nice. I thought it might be too similar to the Deep Blue such that it would somewhat blend in but look a little out of place, however it seems to contrast nicely. I might go with that.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I put some red zipper pulls on my Navy Synapse 30 and I like the color combo very much.
    Thanks for posting. Red looks just like I expected—it's nice, but I'm not sure I'd want that all the time. However, the best part of your review for me was about Parapak—I'd never considered it before, but now I think I might go with Navy instead of Deep Blue just for the material.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    Thanks for posting. Red looks just like I expected—it's nice, but I'm not sure I'd want that all the time.
    If I were you I'd buy at least 2 colors and made them "commutable" Big Grin (as I did for my GES25, but I dont know if the photo on my avatar is clear enough...)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think Wasabi for a sort of fun look (not as fun as the multicoloured ones above!) or coyote for a more sophisticated look. Coyote goes surprisingly with a lot of colours!

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one tie the cords like that? I could google it but I’m not sure what to search for. Does that type of knot have a name?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same thought on Island cord, weirdly enough, but had ordered some on a whim, and was very pleasantly surprised, like you, at how sharp it looks against the deep blue - it's bright and cheery without being overwhelming, just the right amount of contrast, and the cord is nicely saturated, so it doesn't look washed out, and compliments the deep blue without being 'matchy'. Wasabi stands out a lot more - I have a wasabi interior on the bag (So Sad it's leaving!) and it's *vivid* against the blue, quite easy to spot if that's a consideration.

The knot's called a Snake Knot, picture tutorial I followed here: https://www.paracordplanet.com/snake-knot/ or video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iiu44Qh4ag (I definitely didn't bother using the pins). It's quite easy and quick once you get the hang of it, I stacked three of the knots one after another. The hardest part was fiddling to get the loop the right length. While you couldn't easily do it with the shorter pre-cut cord lengths, the snake knot pulls do take a bit less cord than the 'robust' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReyJfgPNXs) knot on the tom bihn zipper pull method video and are a little easier to figure out the length on since you're starting from the top and working to the end, if that makes sense. I can't find the post at the moment, but once upon a time someone posted a Brain Bag that had all different styles of knots to help them figure out which zipper they were grabbing by touch, which I always thought was so clever!
    Last edited by nutmeg; 11-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    How does one tie the cords like that? I could google it but I’m not sure what to search for. Does that type of knot have a name?
    you can search for : "zipper pull knot"
    the common knot are snake knot, matthew walker knot, cobra knot, diamond knot

myself I really like dragon fly (made of cobra knots), person (made of diamond knot + snake knots), and diamond bead knot

about length : https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...ighlight=yards (I will re-post the pictures later...)
    Last edited by Rei; 11-05-2019 at 01:57 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a big fan of red zipper pulls with the deep blue 525. There is some red in the TB logo so I think that helps tie it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SN22 in deep blue arrived yesterday along with a set of red pulls. Looks fantastic.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a parapack blue coming with coyote pulls, and already have wasabi, island, iberian and black ones. I’ll take a pic with all types on soon after it arrives.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    I have a parapack blue coming with coyote pulls, and already have wasabi, island, iberian and black ones. I’ll take a pic with all types on soon after it arrives.
    Hey @Ellsass I did a bunch of comparison pics with different color pulls in here: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...mparisons.html