Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from new Aeronaut 30 owner

Good day. Just wanted to stop in to say hello. I went all in recently on an Aeronaut 30, including some packing cubes and am looking forward to road testing it.

I've been a "one bagger" for travel since before I knew there was a robust online community of enthusiasts surrounding "one bagging". Almost 10 years ago, I got an Osprey Porter 46. It's been a fine bag, but the interior isn't really suited to packing cubes as it isn't square/rectangle. It is really the best quality bag I've ever owned. Spouse and I (she also has one) take 3-4 trips domestically per year (we are in the US) and 1-2 international trips per year, and our bags don't show a single sign of wear, not even on the corners/edges. And believe me, we don't baby these things. When I first got the 46s, I got them because they were suitable for carry-on globally, or at least approximately. Since then, I think that some European carriers have deemed this size too big and are wanting you to check it. Fortunately, we've never had that problem. That is one factor in wanting to think about a slight downsize.

Another reason for the downsize -- our most recent trip was to Italy for a month and we really started to realize we're carrying too much stuff. The stuff we wish to carry expands to the available space I suppose. We use compression bags so we are able to pack efficiently, but weight got to be an issue on longer travel days where we needed to have our backpacks on for longer periods of time. I've been toiling with this often -- "is a smaller bag going to be big enough?" At a 38 waist, my clothes are larger, of course, so this is a slight concern. We will be road testing the Aeronaut 30 over the coming holiday season -- we're traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas (though they will be driving trips) and are looking forward to it.

Glad there is a community here surrounding these bags. All the reviews I've read or seen on YouTube lead me to believe this will be the perfect bag. If it works out, I'll get a second for the missus. If it doesn't work out for me, perhaps the missus will find it suitable and I will consider the 45 with the additional space.

Cheers!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @user76983!

I agree; this is a great community! You may have noticed that there are lots of A30 users who volunteer packing lists and advice, so don't hesitate to ask if you've got any questions. Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi user76983 and welcome to the forum! Your considerable experience as a one-bagger is certainly a great asset to this community and we're looking very much forward to your experiences with the A30 (pics are always very welcome)!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Osprey gives you that the A30 does not is a superior harness appropriate for schlepping your load long distances or over terrain. You can add a back panel and hip belt to the A30 but those items make the otherwise super compact A30 less of a contender in the onebag space.

I enjoy my A30 tremendously but, at 65, I’m not hiking except across airport concourses and up stairs at small hotels.

You’re going to like your A30.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! And I’m excited for you to try your A30 out. I have one, which I purchased after over a year of research and agonizing over other people’s reviews. It is above and beyond what I wanted in a travel bag, and seemingly the perfect size for what I want to carry. You’ll be amazed at what you can shove in there.

My partner, on the other hand, is finding that aesthetics are more important to him than pretty much any other feature of his travel bag. My A30 doesn’t look like a “proper backpack” to him.
    He’s looking at ordering an Osprey Farpoint 40 for our upcoming travels.

It’s so nice to travel with my family and watch them frantically repacking their bags at their airport because they’re being gate checked; mine slides into those tiny overhead bins without any squishing or shoving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

I was worried about the size of the 30 vs the 45 for Euro travel to the point it gave me analysis paralysis, and so when I absolutely had to get a pack I instead got a Hynes Eagle 38L for a super cheap price last year.
    I was very worried about the size restrictions on flights in Europe and was going on a close to month trip. I just needed something that I knew would fit and could carry a decent amount of litres.

It was a pretty great bag in terms of space and organisation (I bought compression cubes to go with it) but its straps were a killer with a full bag and no hip belt for long walks in a hot summer.

One thing that I did discover on that trip however is people always try to get around the flight restrictions with ridiculous bags, so it's not that likely anyone with a soft backpack is ever going to get pulled up...and there were quite a few porter 46's I saw which due to their shape look huge (like a hump) on someones back when filled to the max.

So when I returned home it took me almost no time to grab the A45. I think you'll get a lot of joy from your A30 but if you are tall/wide enough of a frame to wear it I personally would grab an A45, you can always under fill it and while it was only one flight I took a jam packed one recently onto one of those smaller CRJ-900 planes and it fit in the overhead locker snugly but it fit.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both a halcyon A30 and a ballistic A45, and I love them both! I had been eyeing the A45 for the longest time and finally made the purchase! I’ve taken the A45 on several trips, wearing it as a backpack while rolling around a Tumi hard shell (I haven’t quite mastered the one-bag travel on long trips.) The A45 seemed to gradually feel heavy on me while rushing around the airport and travel destinations. So, I decided on snagging a halcyon A30. And boy, the A30 was a dream on my next trip!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPeas View Post
    I have both a halcyon A30 and a ballistic A45, and I love them both! I had been eyeing the A45 for the longest time and finally made the purchase! I’ve taken the A45 on several trips, wearing it as a backpack while rolling around a Tumi hard shell (I haven’t quite mastered the one-bag travel on long trips.) The A45 seemed to gradually feel heavy on me while rushing around the airport and travel destinations. So, I decided on snagging a halcyon A30. And boy, the A30 was a dream on my next trip!!
    That’s quite a lot of bag with a roller and an A45!

If you fill the A45 and its heavy I’d recommend the optional waist belt attachments it makes a huge difference carrying on your back.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    That’s quite a lot of bag with a roller and an A45!

If you fill the A45 and its heavy I’d recommend the optional waist belt attachments it makes a huge difference carrying on your back.
    Ah yes! I way overpack!!

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hesitated to get the A30 for so long, but have had it about a year and use it frequently. Mine are mostly quick weekend car trips that don't require a lot of intense planning. I like using the A30 without packing cubes for those quick getaways. For longer trips using packing cubes makes the space more efficient. I like that even when full the A30 isn't too deep.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    What Osprey gives you that the A30 does not is a superior harness appropriate for schlepping your load long distances or over terrain.
    This - it's the one thing that keeps me from declaring the aeronauts perfect; an adjustable harness (for various torso sizes) with a full-size hip belt that could carry the bag all on it's own. If the aeronauts had that ... Heart Eyes

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    This - it's the one thing that keeps me from declaring the aeronauts perfect; an adjustable harness (for various torso sizes) with a full-size hip belt that could carry the bag all on it's own. If the aeronauts had that ... Heart Eyes
    I have said something similar about Osprey bags several times on here, undoubtedly their harnesses are fantastic. I was particularly vocal about this before the A30/45 frames were introduced.

Now that I have an A30 with frame and hip belt, I don’t miss my Osprey at all; its organization always drove me crazy.

I find the A30 surprisingly comfortable, it feels very similar to my S25 (ie a normal backpack not a duffel with straps) and of course I love the organization.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love another chance to broadcast my love for the Aeronauts! I've had my A45 for a dozen years or so, and used it for hundreds of trips. It shows no wear. I've never had an issue with getting on a plane, even in Europe. I'm a very large guy and carry a CPAP in my case, otherwise I'd have switched to the A30 years ago.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo3b View Post
    Love another chance to broadcast my love for the Aeronauts! I've had my A45 for a dozen years or so, and used it for hundreds of trips. It shows no wear. I've never had an issue with getting on a plane, even in Europe. I'm a very large guy and carry a CPAP in my case, otherwise I'd have switched to the A30 years ago.
    This is also key! The A45 shape is ideal even for commuter flights / Europe and it's able to sneak into any overhead even when it doesn't fit into the gate bins. Its shape is also stealth, especially in darker colors, so it NEVER gets side-eyed, flagged for gate-check. Great bag