Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Halcyon or Ballistic for internal organization?

I will hopefully be ordering a Ballistic Synik 22 with Halcyon interior in about four hours.

I will also be ordering a Snake Charmer, 3D Organizer Cube, Clear Packing Cube, Spiff Kit and Quarter Packing Cube for internal organization.

I have been debating material choice for these items with myself for weeks. I realize this question is really late, but I really thought I would come to my own conclusion reading the available FAQs and forum posts.

Do I want Halcyon or Ballistic for internal organization?

I havenít seen either material in person and will not be able to prior to ordering.

The weight difference is practically negligible for my expected use cases.

I think I like the look of Ballistic better, but it sounds like Halcyon may be slightly more practical (stretches more, slides in easier and easier to access/pack, while also being slightly lighter) but I really donít know having not handled either material.

Could anyone offer advice to sway me in either direction?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have most of my internal organization with halcyon. I honestly got it for the looks but looking at my bag now, I think for practical use, the less rigid structure of the halcyon is nice if you need to squeeze things into your bag or even into the organizer. I prefer ballistic on the main/exterior for the ability to hold its shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have favourite Ballistic and Halcyon colors that go together and with your lining? I have a Spiff Kit Deluxe in Halcyon which works well with the bag and I love my Ballistic Snake Charmer. The differences between the fabrics aren't as big as is often suggested IMO. It seesms that way when your items are new, but I think that's because Ballistic needs to break in for a bit. From my experience it softens quite a bit over time. I would pick those that you like the look/color of and decide from case to case. I think some items look better in Halcyon, some in Ballistic.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOmegaOdyssey View Post
    I have most of my internal organization with halcyon. I honestly got it for the looks but looking at my bag now, I think for practical use, the less rigid structure of the halcyon is nice if you need to squeeze things into your bag or even into the organizer. I prefer ballistic on the main/exterior for the ability to hold its shape.
    Thanks, that rhymes well with my reasoning so far.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Do you have favourite Ballistic and Halcyon colors that go together and with your lining? I have a Spiff Kit Deluxe in Halcyon which works well with the bag and I love my Ballistic Snake Charmer.
    Not really. The exterior will be Nebulous Grey, so Island Halcyon is the only option.

Internal organization will be Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon or Cloud 210 Ballistic. (Aeronaut Packing Cubes will be Northwest Sky.)

The differences between the fabrics aren't as big as is often suggested IMO. It seesms that way when your items are new, but I think that's because Ballistic needs to break in for a bit. From my experience it softens quite a bit over time. I would pick those that you like the look/color of and decide from case to case. I think some items look better in Halcyon, some in Ballistic.
    Good to know, thanks!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooose View Post
    Thanks, that rhymes well with my reasoning so far.

Not really. The exterior will be Nebulous Grey, so Island Halcyon is the only option.

Internal organization will be Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon or Cloud 210 Ballistic. (Aeronaut Packing Cubes will be Northwest Sky.)

Good to know, thanks!
    Darcy posted here that they have a few of the PreOrder colors left: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ck-colors.html

They have these, if you are quick:
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon

In case you like one of those better than Island. I personally am a big fan of Dawn. Great combination with NG.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have these, if you are quick:
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Synik 22-Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon.
    Thanks! I was thinking Wasabi was the only potential alternative, and I think I like Island better, as I assumed I did want Halcyon for the lining. However, I see now that Dawn is 210, not 525, which I guess makes it much closer to Halcyon in terms of look/feel/performance.

This isn’t getting any easier.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is NG/Dawn:

Halcyon or Ballistic for internal organization?-edc63539-f283-4a9f-882d-8248f6e7648b-jpeg

That was my L12 which sadly didn’t work out for me. I think it’s a subtle and quite elegant combination. Island is quite a loud color in comparison!
    Attached Images Attached Images Halcyon or Ballistic for internal organization?-28f61cee-1319-4fea-9ca4-8d9c80b81b9c-jpg 

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both Cloud and NWS work well with Dawn. You should probably put all the accessories into your cart before the order goes live so that you only need to add the Synik. In case you miss the Dawn Synik you can always go for Island, that will look nice together too. Although I personally wouldn’t get NWS and Cloud together, to me they are too similar but not similar enough, if you know what I mean. I would probably get the NG/Dawn with some Dawn accessories paired with either NWS or Cloud. Or the Island with some Island Accessories and some NWS. But that’s me.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 11-05-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it’s a subtle and quite elegant combination. Island is quite a loud color in comparison!
    Sold. That looks great, I want it. (Assuming Ballistic interior isn’t a terrible idea.)

Although I personally wouldn’t get NWS and Cloud together, to me they are too similar but not similar enough, if you know what I mean. I would probably get the NG/Dawn with some Dawn accessories paired with either NWS or Cloud.
    I do know what you mean.

Regrettably the Aeronaut Packing Cubes are not available in Dawn or Cloud, so NWS is pretty much the only option I like. They won’t be used with the Synik so often, so I think it’ll be fine.

The Dawn 3DOC is currently in production, and I want them all the same, so I’m back to my original options.

(Also, I’m thinking some contrast between the lining and the interior organization isn’t a bad thing.)

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold. That looks great, I want it. (Assuming Ballistic interior isn’t a terrible idea.)

I do know what you mean.

Regrettably the Aeronaut Packing Cubes are not available in Dawn or Cloud, so NWS is pretty much the only option I like. They won’t be used with the Synik so often, so I think it’ll be fine.

The Dawn 3DOC is currently in production, and I want them all the same, so I’m back to my original options.

(Also, I’m thinking some contrast between the lining and the interior organization isn’t a bad thing.)
    I don't mind the NWS Packing Cubes paired with Cloud. I have that too in my RB36. But they are Aether and not Halcyon, they don't have the grid pattern. And NWS Aether is almost white, enough contrast with Cloud. I definitely think it's the most versatile color for packing cubes.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having "matching" interior organization pouches and cubes, I decided that was a mistake. I could never find what I was looking for without opening every little pouch or cube. I've since swapped to a lots of different colors for the interior organization pouches and cubes. It makes it easier to quickly find what I'm looking for.

My interior pouches and cubes are either halcyon or aether because that's what was available at the time. The thinner ballistic fabrics are comparable to the halcyon. Buy the colors that make you happy.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    After having "matching" interior organization pouches and cubes, I decided that was a mistake. I could never find what I was looking for without opening every little pouch or cube. I've since swapped to a lots of different colors for the interior organization pouches and cubes.
    That makes sense. However, this being my first purchase, each piece will have a dedicated spot or specific use case, so potential for confusing should be minimal. For any additional purchases I will mix up the colors.

Anyhow, I panicked at 06.59 still not having made up my mind, and ended up with:

Synik 22 - Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Spiff Kit - Standard, Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Snake Charmer - Small Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Clear Quarter Packing Cube - Dawn 210 Ballistic
    3D Organizer Cube, Clear - Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes - Large Northwest Sky
    Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes - Large Laundry Northwest Sky

(I guess I should have ordered at least one Ballistic Cloud item so that I’d be able to compare them for next time.)

Thanks everyone for the very useful input!
    Last edited by Mooose; 11-05-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I guess I should have ordered at least one Ballistic Cloud item so that I’d be able to compare them for next time.)
    Email customer service! If they haven't shipped, you can still add items.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Email customer service! If they haven't shipped
    They have. 🙂

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyhow, I panicked at 06.59 still not having made up my mind, and ended up with:

Synik 22 - Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic

Thanks everyone for the very useful input!
    @Moose,

I think you will love the Nebulous Grey/Dawn color combination for the Synik 22. Thatís the combo that I have from the first preorder (and also for the Luminary 12).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast