Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you use your Maker's Bag?

Hey folks!

This is my first real post, so thanks for having me. I got a Maker's Bag a few months ago, and it's a bag that I always want to use, and I'm just not sure how to do that. I'm a college professor and I go to a lot of trade shows (fountain pen shows, that is). I'm usually carrying a laptop (15" MBP), and some number of A5 notebooks, books, and a pouch with a bunch of little things that I need in the classroom. Usually a water bottle, too. It seems like the Maker's bag just not quite the right size or shape to carry my stuff. It's a little too tall and a little too thick, but also a little too narrow. I put my MBP in a case, and that takes up most of the bag, so that's kinda out. The iPad has a hard time standing up in the bag because it's a little too deep and the iPad wants to fall over.

There's a lot of cool organization, but I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to use the bag.

So, suggestions? What do you put in yours? When do you use it?

Word.
    Mike

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 13" MacBook Pro works so well with the Maker's Bag that I'm not surprised your 15" is a little big for the bag--so yeah, with that size of laptop the Maker's Bag might really not be the right bag for your stuff. But maybe someone will post an idea that works for you!

Usually when I use my Maker's Bag for school or work, I put a key strap across the top linking the O-rings on each side of the bag (like @tpnl did in this picture). I put my laptop (13" MBP in a TB Cache) behind the key strap, then I put my other stuff in front of that--usually a Side Kick or Side Effect with purse stuff, a 3DOC with work misc, and maybe some other odds and ends.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I had a 13" when I got the bag, and it fit okay. That key strap trick is a really good one, though. I'll have to try that to keep the sides pulled in.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry similar things and I returned my Maker’s bag for the same issues you have. Even for a 13” notebook, there is no place for a water bottle. I wish it had a side pocket for It. I don’t want to leave a water bottle rolling next to an expensive computer unless it’s secured. Is there a clever way (other than packing the bag for holding the bottle?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a bottle in one of the interior side pockets.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you started this thread, as I have a Maker's Bag that is unused most of the time. I will occasionally use it as an airplane bag or on a weekend trip when I'm not bringing my laptop, because of issues putting a water bottle near a laptop even with the interior pocket. However, my laptop is only 13 inches so the bag is more than adequate for it. Hope you find a workable solution for getting the most of your Maker's Bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine as a camera bag. I use the Tenba bag as insert and use various items hooked to the lanyards for my batteries, cards, etc. What's great is that I can remove the tenba and now have a messenger bag. How do you use your Maker's Bag?-makerbag-jpg

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my Makers Bag, I carry a Side Effect with wallet and bits, 2-3 paperbacks and 1-2 A5 notebooks in the main compartment along with my stethoscope in a case. The full width zip in the back of the main compartment I use for papers I need to carry but rarely reference and a fall back charging cable for my phone. In the slip pockets, I carry lip balm and hair ties in a Q-kit tethered to an O ring and tucked into one pocket, a Field Notes book and a Mini OP with headphones and a mint or two, and a packet of tissues in the middle pocket, and a work key on Keystrap tethered to an O ring in the third. I have a stainless steel straw in the side stretchy pocket on one side, and my car/house keys in the other on a Keystrap tethered. The front zip pocket has tons of pens in the slip pockets, and some business cards. Also a quick reference notebook about the size of a Field Notes book. This is my work bag, and it is great! Love this bag-carry it the most of all my TB bags. (Second most is my Pop Tote for non-work outings.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am perpetually annoyed by my Maker's Bag. I want to love it, but organizationally it is a disaster. All the pockets are the wrong size! I chuck my wallet and phone in the central main-section front pocket, and some pens/pencils (far too many, I can't see what they are) and some hand lotion in the others -- but I end up just dumping things into the front zippered pocket haphazardly because all of the pockets in that section are skinny & long -- too small for most things I'd want to tuck into them and far too deep for little things that actually fit. What I really want is something like a landscape-orientation Freudian Slip that could fit in the front zip pocket and make it functional. How are others using that front pocket?

Main Pocket:
    How do you use your Maker's Bag?-img_20191108_115215925-jpg

Front Pocket Disaster:
    How do you use your Maker's Bag?-img_20191108_115224021-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím using the little pockets in the front zip pocket for pens/pencils, sunglasses, a tin of mints, and earbuds in a little pouch. I also keep my wallet in the open area of the front zip pocket, attached to a keystrap.

My phone goes in the front left pocket, in the inside of the bag, which makes it easy to fish out of the bag without opening the flap.

Iím still figuring out organization, since I just got mine a week ago. But so far, I love it! Iím planning on getting some organizer pouches to corral my stuff, but even without pouches, the bag does a great job at keeping all of my things where they should be. I especially love the back flat pocket, for keeping books and my planner from getting banged up on all of my other stuff. Also, the cup holder pockets are really great, and can easily yet firmly hold two klean kanteens.

All in all, Iím really happy with the bag as my everyday carryall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, @BrittaKnitta, and welcome to the forums!

Congrats on your new bag, and thanks for sharing how you are using it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fructa View Post
    I am perpetually annoyed by my Maker's Bag. I want to love it, but organizationally it is a disaster.
    For me, one of the best features of TB bags is the O-rings/pouch system. (I don't know why other bag manufactures don't follow it.) I would use them to organize the small stuffs. There are various types, sizes and colors of TB pouches to choose from.

Kansas City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

"...all of the pockets in that section are skinny & long -- too small for most things I'd want to tuck into them and far too deep for little things that actually fit"

My use of my MB was GREATLY enhanced by taking a seam ripper and GENTLY removing that center seam on the pockets inside the front zipper...it came out nicely and did not impinge on any other seams. That makes a larger center pocket that is much more usable

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueflax View Post
    My use of my MB was GREATLY enhanced by taking a seam ripper and GENTLY removing that center seam on the pockets inside the front zipper...it came out nicely and did not impinge on any other seams. That makes a larger center pocket that is much more usable
    I have done this with some of the pen slots on various Freudian Slips, and have been very pleased.