Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Ok here are some glamorous pics from my bathroom.

Looking at these, I do think it looks big but that’s the extra headroom, mostly. It will look taller when it is emptier. In the TB videos I think the bag is fuller and the top flattens out to accommodate the extra width.
    Cristina...thanks again for the pics. I am still trying to decide about the PU. If you have a chance to do some more pics, I’d really like to see what the bag looks like worn over the shoulder with a very light load, like maybe just a couple of pouches similar in size to the 3DOC and maybe a glass case or two in the center area. That’s about all I’d carry daily. I want to see if the bag collapses or folds up and looks smaller under these circumstances.
    Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with a Halcyon Parental Unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Cristina...thanks again for the pics. I am still trying to decide about the PU. If you have a chance to do some more pics, Iíd really like to see what the bag looks like worn over the shoulder with a very light load, like maybe just a couple of pouches similar in size to the 3DOC and maybe a glass case or two in the center area. Thatís about all Iíd carry daily. I want to see if the bag collapses or folds up and looks smaller under these circumstances.
    Thanks!
    Hereís my take on it.

The pictures upthread are a pretty minimal load. A Travel Cubelet (a little taller but similar depth to a 3DOC) and maybe some lip balms/ hand moisturizer and some pens and tissues. Nothing beyond what would fit in a Side Kick.

The Parental Unit, and particularly the Halcyon one, donít look smaller when theyíre emptier. They look bigger because you can really see their height. I feel that my 525 Ballistic PU looks smaller compared to my Halcyon one because it retains more of a barrel shape. The floppiness of the Halcyon means that as the bag flattens against your body, it spreads out more.

Might I suggest an Icon? I know, theyíre hard to come by right now, but size-wise it might be a good fit for you. I feel that the Icon is very much a Side Kick Plus, as in it fits what a Side Kick would fit but you can also carry a thin sweater and a water bottle. It molds to the body really well. There are three zippered pockets plus open top slip pockets in the main compartment.

I will try to find time tomorrow in the daylight to take a comparison pic of the Icon with the PU.

If you donít want to wait for an Icon I might also suggest a Side Kick! It can handle a 3DOC and a glasses case. Iíll take a pic of that too.

Edited to add: pics taken! Iíll upload them when I have a chance in a few hours.
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-09-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to grab a couple of pics today in the fading afternoon light.

Sincere apologies, there is some noise in the pics from low light levels.

I used a Travel Cubelet (similar in size to a 3DOC) and sunglasses in a Small Q-Kit, which is larger than slim glasses cases and smaller than some glasses cases.

Ok, on to the pics:

Halcyon Parental Unit containing only Travel Cubelet and sunglasses in a Small Q-Kit, carried over the shoulder:

525 Ballistic Parental Unit containing only Travel Cubelet and sunglasses in a Small Q-Kit, carried over the shoulder:

Icon containing Travel Cubelet and sunglasses in a Small Q-Kit, carried over the shoulder:

Side Kick containing Travel Cubelet and sunglasses in a Small Q-Kit, carried over the shoulder:

Inside of Side Kick showing Travel Cubelet and Small Q-Kit:

Inside of Icon showing Travel Cubelet and Small Q-Kit:

For this minimal load, you can get away with a much smaller bag than the PU. You can even go all the way down to Side Kick, but I think an Icon is a good middle size. It does seem to shrink with a minimal load and its a joy to carry underpacked, ready to absorb a water bottle or packable jacket or hats and gloves when needed.

Donít hesitate to ask further questions or upload pics of what you intend to carry. Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina, you are awesome! Thank you! I think it’s going to be an Icon for me. The Side Kick won’t allow enough flexibility for extra stuff and for an EDC, looks like the PU is overkill. Your photos are just what I needed to decide. For that matter, the cost of the Icon + a Side Kick = the cost of the PU. Hmmmm.....

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Cristina, you are awesome! Thank you! I think itís going to be an Icon for me. The Side Kick wonít allow enough flexibility for extra stuff and for an EDC, looks like the PU is overkill. Your photos are just what I needed to decide. For that matter, the cost of the Icon + a Side Kick = the cost of the PU. Hmmmm.....
    Very happy to help! The Icon is a lovely bag. Which Icon you choose may be determined purely by color, but I have to say I have only tried an Icon in the 630 recycled Ballistic (available in Logic Blue, Seapine Green, and Nebulous Grey). The other colors are in 525 Ballistic which is a thicker fabric. 630 is a bit more flexible and slightly thinner. So if that will influence your decision on color at all, it is good to keep in mind.

Make sure you sign up for stock updates on the Icon page, and good luck!

https://www.tombihn.com/products/icon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2