Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Anyone with a Halcyon Parental Unit?

I asked this question as part of another post (my first post in the forums and I let it get too long) and this question got buried in all the other blah, blah, blah I wrote. So Iím going to ask separately.

Iím interested in the experience of anyone who has a Halcyon PU. I am looking for a bag to carry instead of a purse. I like the shape of the PU a lot. My concern is the size.
    If a Halcyon PU is understuffed, (I donít carry a lot of daily stuff but appreciate having empty, extra room if needed) does it kind of collapse and look smaller? Iím hoping the Halcyon version is more squish-able and will mold around my body a bit. I will be carrying it on my shoulder as I donít like straps across my body.
    Is the bag soft? Does all the organizational stuff make the bag stiffer?
    The only bag I own right now is a MB in halcyon and itís very soft.
    If anyone has one they could measure, too, that would be appreciated. The bag description says about 16Ē wide...it that the measurement at the widest point at the top of the bag? How wide is the base?
    I know I could order and return but I am absolutely terrible about returning things so Iíd like to get some input from yíall before I take a chance on the PU. Please chime in with any comments about this bag...Iíd love to hear what anyone has to say.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics of my recently acquired Halcyon Nordic/Wasabi PU (the bottom picture is with it empty, lying flat on a mat with 1“ grid, so hopefully you’ll get a sense of the measures). I’m still learning how to make this bag work best for me. I usually carry my bags crossbody, but this one feels humongous carried that way. Worn over my shoulder it feels like it conforms to my body better. The fabric is soft and squishable; I don’t overstuff it, but I could and it would still carry comfortably.
    Anyone with a Halcyon Parental Unit?-eda04d27-4504-4019-aedd-81590cd4c7bc-jpeg
    I hope this is helpful.

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Wanderlust....that photo on the grid was incredibly helpful. The bag is bigger than the 16” given in the description. Thanks! Are you using as an EDC? When you hang on your shoulder with not much in it, does it sort of fold up and appear less wide?

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Hi, Wanderlust....that photo on the grid was incredibly helpful. The bag is bigger than the 16” given in the description. Thanks! Are you using as an EDC? When you hang on your shoulder with not much in it, does it sort of fold up and appear less wide?
    I am using it as an EDC, carried it for the first time a few days ago and it’s working for me. It does seem to fold in a bit and hugs my hip comfortably. It’s a big bag, but it doesn’t feel big in the Halcyon fabric (I tried the 1050 ballistic a while back and returned it; it felt too bulky).

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .that photo on the grid was incredibly helpful. The bag is bigger than the 16” given in the description.
    Usually the dimensions given are if the bag were nicely filled up. They always measure bigger when laying flat. ** Like my fat cat when he's sprawled out on the floor!

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Usually the dimensions given are if the bag were nicely filled up. They always measure bigger when laying flat. ** Like my fat cat when he's sprawled out on the floor!
    That’s good to know! Thanks!

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    I am using it as an EDC, carried it for the first time a few days ago and it’s working for me. It does seem to fold in a bit and hugs my hip comfortably. It’s a big bag, but it doesn’t feel big in the Halcyon fabric (I tried the 1050 ballistic a while back and returned it; it felt too bulky).
    Hmmm...if it scrunches up a lot it might work. I’m a 5’7” woman, medium build.
    I am dithering between the PU and a Halcyon CP. I can’t make my MB work for me no matter what I try. Lightly loaded, it collapses too much and hangs off my shoulder like a limp wad of fabric on a strap.
    Does anyone have a Halcyon CP, PU or MB that they’d be willing to photograph together?
    And does anyone have experience with the Halcyon CP?

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a halcyon co pilot. It held its shape because of the piping around the edges, but also felt flexible and conformed to my body provided I didn't have hard items in the main pocket.
    525 is also quite flexible and I think it would behave similarly.
    I found the co pilot a bit small and I now have the pilot for office work days, but I still think it is a nice little bag.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my black Halcyon/UV Parental Unit and the organization is incredible. It has the most pockets of any TB bag! Up to 12 depending on if the center divider is done up.

This bag works best for people who carry a lot of smaller items and who prefer lots of compartmentalization. This bag will not work well for large or bulky items.

The ideal size of item for most of the pockets is between the size of a Cubelet and a 3DOC or Travel Cubelet or even Side Effect in the tallest pockets. Around 2-3Ē by 4-5Ē by 6-8Ē.

The bag is designed to open wide at the top, and I wouldnít fill it up to maximum for that reason. This bag works best with a little headroom. The pockets can all encroach on each other if too full, and overstuffing messes with the nice curve of the bag and how it molds around your body.

I would definitely not try and carry a laptop in it. Maybe a Kindle or iPad mini but nothing bigger.

Iím happy to take pics of any sort of TB accessory on, in, or next to the PU.

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I love my black Halcyon/UV Parental Unit and the organization is incredible.

This bag works best for people who carry a lot of smaller items and who prefer lots of compartmentalization. This bag will not work well for large or bulky items.

The bag is designed to open wide at the top, and I wouldn’t fill it up to maximum for that reason. This bag works best with a little headroom. The pockets can all encroach on each other if too full, and overstuffing messes with the nice curve of the bag and how it molds around your body.
    I’m happy to take pics of any sort of TB accessory on, in, or next to the PU.
    Thank you, Cristina, for the great analysis. Do you use as an EDC? I am looking to use as a daily purse, not to haul work stuff. I’ll only have a couple of small personal item bags, a tiny wallet, small sunglass case, occasionally a Kindle.
    I love the looks and shape of the PU. My main question is whether a very understuffed halcyon PU will sag in the middle and smoosh up so it doesn’t look so wide when carrying over one shoulder? (I am HOPING it will collapse and sort of bend down in the middle on the top of the bag). I want the bag to look LESS wide when worn in this way. If the bag generally retains its’ shape even with a light load, it’s going to look too big on me. For instance, my halcyon MB when underloaded, the softness and flexibility of the fabric lets it just sort of fold at the top.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Cristina, for the great analysis. Do you use as an EDC? I am looking to use as a daily purse, not to haul work stuff. Iíll only have a couple of small personal item bags, a tiny wallet, small sunglass case, occasionally a Kindle.
    I love the looks and shape of the PU. My main question is whether a very understuffed halcyon PU will sag in the middle and smoosh up so it doesnít look so wide when carrying over one shoulder? (I am HOPING it will collapse and sort of bend down in the middle on the top of the bag). I want the bag to look LESS wide when worn in this way. If the bag generally retains itsí shape even with a light load, itís going to look too big on me. For instance, my halcyon MB when underloaded, the softness and flexibility of the fabric lets it just sort of fold at the top.
    Hmm... probably the best thing would be for me to take some pics tomorrow in the daylight (itís nearly 9pm here) and I will put just a few things inside.

I do use it for EDC and it is brilliant! I love a separate pocket for everything. I love keeping the main compartment nearly empty so I can keep hats and gloves in there when I go inside, and the height of the main compartment is great for a thermos of tea or a water bottle.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Just in case you havenít seen this review on the parental unit on YouTube...
    https://youtu.be/0AcrgsRaxmE

He demonstrates what he packs in it and how it carries on his shoulder. It looks like a ďslouchyĒ sort of bag in the halcyon material.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here are some glamorous pics from my bathroom.

Looking at these, I do think it looks big but thatís the extra headroom, mostly. It will look taller when it is emptier. In the TB videos I think the bag is fuller and the top flattens out to accommodate the extra width.

Iím 5í7Ē. I have modded the Absolute Strap, attaching a discontinued Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap so it threads through where the stroller straps go instead of using the snap hooks. Also there is a red Guardian light I put on the part of the bag that sits at my back.

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the photos, Cristina! Good to see the bag on someone the same height as myself. I am still curious about what a very lightly packed Halcyon PU looks like carried over the shoulder. Does the top slouch in the middle? I would rarely wear the bag crossbody.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone has experience with both the older model with buttons vs the newer model with zip and grab handles? Any major dislike or like a particular model?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast