Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPS Brokerage fee, should it be this high?

My bag is arriving to Canada tomorrow and got the below bill for taxes online to pay. I was expecting around $10 but $37.37 in brokerage fees seems insane to me, is this normal?

Import Charges
    NOTE: the total value used for calculation of all Duty-based fees is 370.99.
    Government Charges:
    Duty:
    HST or GST + PST:
    Excise:
    Other Government Charges:
    UPS Customs Brokerage Charges:
    Brokerage Fee:

Brokerage GST/HST:
    Brokerage QST:
    Permit:
    Freight Charges:
    Total Due CAD:

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably be best off directing this question to UPS. It looks like they are charging you $32.50CAD to collect $65.61CAD in taxes. Outrageous if you ask me, but there isn't much that TB can do about it.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be far too much as brokerage charge. Contact UPS. Something seems wrong in their charge calculation. Good luck resolving it. I have no knowledge of Canada tax, but sometimes breakdown of UPS fees and charges seems unclear but overall % (in Europe seems to be around 15%) always seems consistent.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 11-10-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    You'll probably be best off directing this question to UPS. It looks like they are charging you $32.50CAD to collect $65.61CAD in taxes. Outrageous if you ask me, but there isn't much that TB can do about it.
    I wiil, not open until tomorrow.

Iím interested if any Canadians have had a charge this high. Its possible its because I am having it sent to my work address.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree....a "brokerage fee" is nonsense. What are they "brokering"?

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always a "brokerage fee" for processing importing duties. What it involves, agreed is not clear.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you combine that with "duties" (tariffs?), it's a ripoff.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article is from 2yrs ago, but you may find it enlightening.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/how-to-...ices-1.3280694
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    I agree....a "brokerage fee" is nonsense. What are they "brokering"?
    They are processing the import duty for the buyer, but that is usually a percentage of the duty.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPS and Fedex both have reputations for charging unreasonably high brokerage costs. Are you in the position to ship your future TB orders to a parcel holding company just south of the Canada-US border? Sometimes it can be worth it if you wait to pick it up until you have a few parcels there waiting for you. The difference in shipping costs, and not having to pay brokerage or duty often make it worth it. Border officers often donít charge the tax either, and even when they do, it is still a lot less than all the other costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I just checked my last invoice and UPS charged me £32.10. Royal Mail/Parcelforce only charge around £10 when Iíve had to pay duty through them (for nonTB stuff)

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found my most recent UPS delivery and it was 15€ UPS fees for 65€ duty/tax for France. So still not negligible, but quite a bit more reasonable.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last few invoices from UPS (I am in UK)
    UPS Fee £11.50, Duty varying between £5 & £7 & Vat varying between £32 & £42 - depending on order value.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called and got more info...

So after being on hold for a bit I was told that I can get the commercial invoice so I had her send me that, this is just an itemized and priced list by TB (looks like maybe material costs) sent to UPS for the delivery.

The agent told me "the first 5 lines are free, additional lines are $4.50 each and you have 10" which is a little weird given the commercial invoice TB sent has around 23 lines.

Given the hassle for about $40 extra of clearing this myself I then decided to just pay the import duty (which is $5 less if you pay before delivery is attempted) I then get the UPS import charge receipt. This has 10 lines of item categories as you can see:

UPS Brokerage fee, should it be this high?-screen-shot-2019-11-11-8-35-47-am-png

So, the "first 5 lines are free" seem to be in this list. So it's $10 charge just for the brokerage I guess then 5*$4.50 for the other categories to make up a total of $32.50 brokerage fees, plus tax of course, why not.

It seems to me then that if you order more small things then UPS are going to do this categorization crap to skim more cash off the top of the shipment.

I don't know if TB can do something there, like maybe one bag a bunch of things and just put one line of "accessories" or something. Or ideally don't use UPS, they are well known to be the worst for this sort of stuff.
    Last edited by BihnBag; 11-11-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPS Brokerage fee, should it be this high?

Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    I called and got more info...

So after being on hold for a bit I was told that I can get the commercial invoice so I had her send me that, this is just an itemized and priced list by TB (looks like maybe material costs) sent to UPS for the delivery.

The agent told me "the first 5 lines are free, additional lines are $4.50 each and you have 10" which is a little weird given the commercial invoice TB sent has around 23 lines.

Given the hassle for about $40 extra of clearing this myself I then decided to just pay the import duty (which is $5 less if you pay before delivery is attempted) I then get the UPS import charge receipt. This has 10 lines of item categories as you can see:

UPS Brokerage fee, should it be this high?-screen-shot-2019-11-11-8-35-47-am-png

So, the "first 5 lines are free" seem to be in this list. So it's $10 charge just for the brokerage I guess then 5*$4.50 for the other categories to make up a total of $32.50 brokerage fees, plus tax of course, why not.

It seems to me then that if you order more small things then UPS are going to do this categorization crap to skim more cash off the top of the shipment.

I don't know if TB can do something there, like maybe one bag a bunch of things and just put one line of "accessories" or something. Or ideally don't use UPS, they are well known to be the worst for this sort of stuff.
    Thatís a really helpful breakdown, thanks.

I believe the categorization is down to the import laws and has nothing to do with TB. For example, backpacks are taxed at a different rate than shoulder bag.

It definitely makes me rethink my strategy of making fewer but larger orders!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast