Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Maybe a few things to add:

* My WF in halcyon fits Eagle Creek folders:
    Granted it's a bit tight, and I only carry one stuffed to the gills in the bundle method, but the stretchier halcyon fabric allows for more room; for heavy business travelers I'd recommend Halcyon over other fabrics as it's just more flexible and it's plenty durable in minimum room. In 3+ years of 25+ trips/year, under seats, in overheads, I have a few small marks that came off with a wet rag - very durable!

* Yes, the WF fits great under all seats
    except very small / odd commuter flights, but it does fit in the those tiny overheads!

* I carry a ton of stuff in the WF:
    3+ suit and fixins, full size BT speaker, shoes, big laptop in cache, dopp kit, and lunch!
    I also use it on the absolute strap with an S25 as my support bag - people are always shocked those are my only bags and, really, I don't routinely need the S25, I'd just need a Pilot which serves as my briefcase and which I carry rolled-up in the S25 until I get to my destination

The WF is the unsung hero bag in the TB lineup - my only complaint is the weird fake-silk side handles ... I get they're probably better than webbing in terms of use and getting caught on things, but seems like it'd be easy to add Synik / TS type handles. For me, it prevents the bag from feeling premium
    I thought about grabbing a WF too for business travel. Do you know if the pocket on the front of the WF will fit size 12 dress shoes?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I've been researching the WF as my color preference is in production. But I keep wondering what the Trinity will be...
    I have wondered that too! Any news on the trinity bag?Surprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    This thread is making me think I should get a WF...damn it
    I know right me too and I just bought a steel TS! LOLSurprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkonthank1 View Post
    I thought about grabbing a WF too for business travel. Do you know if the pocket on the front of the WF will fit size 12 dress shoes?

You mean the pocket with the curved zipper?
    Absolutely not, no, I doubt I could get my shoes in there and I have small feet for a woman. It's designed for a water bottle, or 311 bag also fits.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mean the main compartment on the front, yes. But a 12D can be a very tight fit; I can fit some relatively pointy toed oxfords, but they protrude enough to require the pocket to be packed thinner.

Alternately, I usually pack Venetian loafers in a medium packing cube in half the front pocket without issue.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I couldn't agree more: I use the TS when I am heading of for a business trip where I need shirts and a suit and the A45 when I get along with more informal wear that doesn't need to be folded with care.
    Hi bartleby,
    That makes complete sense. Can you fit a menís dress shoes I the TS? I ended up getting the TS but really canít fit a menís size 12 dress shoe unless itís a driving shoe something slimline or one
    That can be collapsed. By chance did you get your A45 in ballistic or the Halcyon? I have been considering one for the same reason too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bartleby,
    That makes complete sense. Can you fit a menís dress shoes I the TS? I ended up getting the TS but really canít fit a menís size 12 dress shoe unless itís a driving shoe something slimline or one
    That can be collapsed. By chance did you get your A45 in ballistic or the Halcyon? I have been considering one for the same reason too.

Update, I was able to fit size 12 I was packing them wrong lol Surprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Update, I was able to fit size 12 I was packing them wrong lol Surprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Thanks for reporting on this, @jkonthank1 ,

We haven’t had a lot of recent discussions of sizing in travel bags, but I remember that show size for packing the Tri-Star is something that has come up in the past (quote is from 2014, my answer in the thread Someone please tell me I need to buy a Tri-Star!; since at the time I remembered there were posts from people specifically described packing Men’s size 11 shoes in their Tri-Star. Most people don’t give this level of detail)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @nukediver The one item you might want to check on is shoe size, because it's easiest to pack these into the Tri-Star with the long dimension upright, while in the Aeronaut you'd probably be using the longer end pockets. I'm not sure where the size point is where this gets difficult -- maybe size 12? I know that Men's 10 1/2 shoes can be accommodated. I pretty much switched over from the Aeronaut to using the TriStar when that bag came out, but the Aeronaut can carry a lot more. And, if you really need to put a single oddly shaped and humongous object into your bag, that's possible with the Aeronaut as it isn't with most other bags. If you don't have this last requirement, and are not carrying your Aeronaut full, then I think the Tri-Star should work just fine for you.
    moriond

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bartleby,
    That makes complete sense. Can you fit a men’s dress shoes I the TS? I ended up getting the TS but really can’t fit a men’s size 12 dress shoe unless it’s a driving shoe something slimline or one

Hi @jkonthank1 , I am glad you found a way to fit your shoes Smilie I usually put on my business shoes for travelling and put my runners in the Tristar so I didn't try it the other way round so far.

My A45 is in Ballistic. I love Halcyon very much but more for smaller bags and accessories as they are less stressed when travelling.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to use either my A30 or my A45 for packing clothes. But I really love my WF for the size, and will often take it for a shorter trip. Plus, the size gives it another advantage: once on-site, I can leave most of my stuff in my hotel, and use the WF as a (only slightly large) briefcase. For that reason, I will often carry the WF as my second carry-on item (along with my A45, say).

But I really would like a WF with two handles on top, instead of just one: it would allow me to carry a jacket/coat between the handles as I walk (run...) through the airport. I have mentioned this in the past, as it is important to me (particularly when I loved in a warm place and had to travel up north in winter, or vice versa). Could we try it on a Design Studio version of the WF?

Call me an enabler, but I really like having the flexibility to choose between the WF, A30 and A45. Buy them all!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Quote Originally Posted by bbcamp View Post
    I tend to use either my A30 or my A45 for packing clothes. But I really love my WF for the size, and will often take it for a shorter trip. Plus, the size gives it another advantage: once on-site, I can leave most of my stuff in my hotel, and use the WF as a (only slightly large) briefcase. For that reason, I will often carry the WF as my second carry-on item (along with my A45, say).

But I really would like a WF with two handles on top, instead of just one: it would allow me to carry a jacket/coat between the handles as I walk (run...) through the airport. I have mentioned this in the past, as it is important to me (particularly when I loved in a warm place and had to travel up north in winter, or vice versa). Could we try it on a Design Studio version of the WF?

Call me an enabler, but I really like having the flexibility to choose between the WF, A30 and A45. Buy them all!
    Lol! Itís so funny you mention the WF
    And A45 I was considering that as well bc my thought process was , could the WF be considered a personal item?! So I am glad to hear that you have tried this out! I have 2 A30s one for me and my partner. I couldnít resist a second one as it came out in the original 400 black and white check halcyon with Island on the inside. Last year I got a burnt orange! I have a Tri-Star for business travel and am considering an A45 and down the road a WF. (Have to save a little for these) I also got a Synik 22 last year when it came out in the 525 deep blue with Iberian Halcyon. My life has been forever changed and I am totally obsessed with TB! Question : In 1019 I traveled to Nice, fr and Monte Carlo for business and ended up flying on AA and Iberia. Both were terrible sticklers on size as I live in Western NY and most flights are conducted on the smallest CRJ jets until to your connection hub. Will the A45 fit under the seat in front of you? Have you had any issues possibly with the A45 for International travel? My luggage last year was 1 inch too big and AA made my check it all the way to Europe and the same on the return with Iberia (tough crowd lol), I was worried it wouldnít arrive as I had a connection in Chicago and Madrid LOL! I wish too that the WF had a second handle just for that reason , the coat! Or maybe even straps on the side even. Maybe trinity....Surprising results - Tri-Star vs A30

Last edited by jkonthank1; 01-29-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Tristar and an A45 I flat pack both with Packing Cubes: Backpacks and Shoulder Bags, 3D OCs, Travel Stuff Sacks as well as a Daylight Backpack.

If a tailored business suit is needed, one would need the room of the Aeronauts. The size of the suit determine which Aeronaut size is needed.

If clothes in cotton, linen, microfiber, silk or merino are packed, a Tristar and I assume a Western Flyer is better.

Casual clothes packing is easier in the Aeronauts because one can lay flat, roll or just stuff one more thing in the last minute much more easily. One A45 is good for two adults or one adult with a baby, 2 small children casual clothes and one extra pair of shoes for each.

One person vacation wear and extra room for souvenirs, yarn/fabric stash add ons, scarves, knit wear, table cloth or other linen produced exclusively in the nation visited and/or much cheaper to buy there...
    Last edited by backpack; 01-30-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have a Tristar and an A45 I flat pack both with Packing Cubes: Backpacks and Shoulder Bags, 3D OCs, Travel Stuff Sacks as well as a Daylight Backpack.

If a tailored business suit is needed, one would need the room of the Aeronauts. The size of the suit determine which Aeronaut size is needed.

If clothes in cotton, linen, microfiber, silk or merino are packed, a Tristar and I assume a Western Flyer is better.

Casual clothes packing is easier in the Aeronauts because one can lay flat, roll or just stuff one more thing in the last minute much more easily. One A45 is good for two adults or one adult with a baby, 2 small children casual clothes and one extra pair of shoes for each.

One person vacation wear and extra room for souvenirs, yarn/fabric stash add ons, scarves, knit wear, table cloth or other linen produced exclusively in the nation visited and/or much cheaper to buy there...
    These are amazing tips ! Thanks so much! I most likely will have to get an Aeronaut 45. Maybe halcyon bc itís lighter? Do you think the gate agents who see the Aeronaut would challenge you and make you check it?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect that the pandemic will also change the carry-on policies of airlines, in fact it already did (at least in Europe) to speed up boarding and to avoid crowds in the aisles. I used to fly Easyjet a lot and the A45 was perfect for that but with their new policy you'll have to pay extra to take advantage of the maximum carry-on size.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3