Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Finnahair,

Bags like the Co-Pilot and Parental Unit have enough structure from the internal compartment design that you don’t need to stiffen them, even when they are Halcyon — which is 400d unless you go far enough back to when they made a small number of Co-Pilots in 200d Halcyon bags in colors like Iberian (similarly for the original Synapse which was made in 200d Halcyon in Ultraviolet, and Iberian, as well as steel in a few batches.)

The issue of additional structural support only arises when when you have bags with essentially “bucket” designs — large contiguous volumes that maximize space without additional materials in the supporting structure — like the Maker’s Bag, or the Swift. Even then, the user may not need more support, depending on what is being carried and the reasons for selecting that bag. If the bag is mostly full, with a laptop that runs along most of the length, or if the user routinely carries stiff plastic or polyethylene folders in the back zippered pockets, there may be no need for additional pouches to “stiffen” the bag. For a Swift made of 400d Halcyon, inserting U.S. letter size folders vertically between the two clear pockets and the sides of the bag will keep the bag from sagging, even when completely empty, or when the top pockets are weighted down.

The only reason for “stiffening” the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is because these Halcyon accessories are generally only available in 200d Halcyon, which reflects their origins as Packing Cubes (with no need for extra reinforcement if they are holding clothes). The PCSB has been extremely popular for use as a larger carrying alternative to the Side Effect and Side Kick, despite its lack of internal organization. It has only rarely been made of 400d Halcyon. The one big exception was when they ran out of their stock of 200d Halcyon due to supplier production delays, and offered the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Packing Cube Backpacks, Travel Trays and Shop Bags in 400d Halcyon. (We were a bit worried about the reality of this offer since Darcy posted this on April Fool’s Day.) So, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in my picture is 400d Steel Halcyon.

Most people have a hard time envisioning the texture and feel of 400d Halcyon if they’ve only experienced 200d Halcyon accessories. My Synapse 25 EDC was made in the very first production batch of the S25, and is Steel 400d Halcyon with a Wasabi 200d lining.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @moriond...
    Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated. I needed to give some shape to my MB because it’s always under-packed, and it’s really, really floppy unless fairly full. I already had the 13.4” Lihit Lab organizer so I used that while deciding if I wanted the FS for it. The Lihit Lab thing works great even though I don’t use it for its’ intended purpose of sleeving a laptop. The floppiness of the MB is the main reason I bought the CP for an EDC.
    I asked this question in another thread but I’m going to give it an ask again since you specifically mentioned the PU...how floppy is the halcyon PU? I like the shape of that bag a lot...but it looks really big and I would actually WANT the PU in halcyon to be floppy and collapse so it doesn’t look so big when under-packed.
    How do y’all put the nice, red links in? I wanted to link to the Lihit organizer...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    I asked this question in another thread but I’m going to give it an ask again since you specifically mentioned the PU...how floppy is the halcyon PU? I like the shape of that bag a lot...but it looks really big and I would actually WANT the PU in halcyon to be floppy and collapse so it doesn’t look so big when under-packed.
    Moderately floppy--it's nowhere near as floppy as a Shop Bag, but it slims down a lot more than a Co-Pilot does. Also, if it's underpacked and one doesn't have anything laptop-shaped in it, it wraps around one's hip comfortably when worn cross-body.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    How do y’all put the nice, red links in? I wanted to link to the Lihit organizer...
    If you're on the desktop version of the website: Write the words you want to use as a link, select them with the mouse to highlight them, then click the icon above the post window that looks like a globe with an infinity symbol (I think it's supposed to be a bit of chain to symbolize a "link"). That opens up a window where you can paste in the URL.

Or you can do it the hard way: type [URL="the URL you want to link to"]the text you want to be the link[/URL]
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepads and pens is my most common use for those larger OPs, or maybe a group of stuff to go from bag to bag, like chapstick, post-its, mini med kit, and extra cords/earbuds. The Medium OP are big--you can fit lots, but the flat part can be challenging. The Mini and Small sizes are my favorite. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2