Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Yeah .. and the curvy non-symmetric multi-color design aesthetic. One thing I've really appreciated about TB over the last 5 years is form-follows-function design, and the Icon / Pika / HLT seem to be departing from that and in the direction of Kate Spade ... which is fine if it's confined to this line, however I'm really hoping this isn't a leading design cue of where the Trinity are going ... just my 2 cents for my style
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I have to agree as I came to TB about 7 years ago and have continued to be a customer specifically due to their focus on function.

I always thought their designs were geeky cool (functional but not boring). Also hoping the long awaited trinity bag holds true to this and not just fancy aesthetics.

Hmmm, what is vibing you to think of these as more form over function?
    I fully support your right to your perceptions and opinions, just curious on what is prompting it. Is it only the Icon due to colours and non-symmetry?

Having played with the Monster Truck, Pick-Up Truck, Ghost Whales, and the Handy Little Things the past couple of days, I believe that they are very function driven. In fact, the HLTs and PIKA seem fairly function specific and somewhat narrow in how they can be used, to the extent that many people may never want/need them.

I didn't get an Icon to test since I rarely if ever carry a bag that way and already have quite a few shoulder/cross body bags, so I can't speak to that one yet. I will be buying one on Monday just to see it in person though, even if I end up returning it.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Hmmm, what is vibing you to think of these as more form over function?
    I fully support your right to your perceptions and opinions, just curious on what is prompting it. Is it only the Icon due to colours and non-symmetry?
    Thanks for asking as I know this is a subjective thing person by person. I travel a lot with work so my Ďneedsí are mostly driven by what will help me do that most easily. Most forum members Iím sure relate to the stresses of modern travel (airports, packed and cramped airplanes fighting for overhead bins space, busy public transport). Donít get me wrong, itís a privilege to travel and I love exploring new places and experiences. Itís just not an easy process.

Add in personal travel with young kids, and I just need all the help I can get to make the process as easy as possible so that we can all enjoy it.

I therefore need functional and high quality items. Watch to any you tube video on TB products (such as the immensely annoying but fun Chase Reeves or Pie on the Trail), they always call out the high quality of TB products and how practical they are for use. Their aesthetics are mentioned but usually with much less focus in comparison to the other priorities or function and quality.

Back to the recent released products. Iím a massive fan on the small cafe bag. I have several. Itís an amazingly simple product which is extremely practical. I think it looks really cool and has that feel of Ďa classic timeless designí. Comparing to the icon, other than the addition of zips, I donít think it brings anything more, but instead brings complications like openings not being on the top and shared spaces which seem to steal from each other (versus amazing designs like the Synapse/Synik where each space layers and fits neatly next to the adjoining one).

The other designs look interesting, but I donít feel bring anything new or different enough to make them useful. Again that is purely my view since Iím looking for practicality, function first.

The one thing that really got me excited was the Shepherds Wool Utility Cloth because it could be a nice high quality version of a cotton shemagh that gets lots of multi functional use, picnic mat, scarf, etc.

Lastly, I do care about aesthetics. I want things to look great, but only once the practical needs are met, otherwise I just wonít use it. And Iím trying to avoid buying things I donít Ďneedí; consumerism is a hard thing to avoid nowadays as it surrounds us everywhere we look.

Again, thanks for asking, I appreciate being able to share my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12/2 debut: news + stock + more

(ETA: I donít know anything about TBís design process beyond what is posted publicly. This is just my read on the bag)

In the Iconís defense, there are aesthetic elements of it that I believe are driven by function. I see the Icon as being an experiment with different ways of functioning.

The curved zippers allow for a wider opening than straight ones. My personal preference would have been for a top zipper, however, as someone else pointed out, if the zipper is on the front it is more accessible when youíre wearing the bag as it sits slightly farther away from your body.

The wings at the side of the bag are little hidey-holes for the strap ends. There is no end of complaints on the forum about dangly strap ends and this is another attempt to ameliorate this.

In short, I donít see the distinctive design elements of the Icon as form over function, I see them as experiments in function, definitely being function-led.
    Last edited by Cristina; 11-29-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Clarification

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Yeah .. and the curvy non-symmetric multi-color design aesthetic. One thing I've really appreciated about TB over the last 5 years is form-follows-function design, and the Icon / Pika / HLT seem to be departing from that and in the direction of Kate Spade ... which is fine if it's confined to this line, however I'm really hoping this isn't a leading design cue of where the Trinity are going ... just my 2 cents for my style
    I don't think that the new bags represent a major change in design but a diversification. The blog entry about the Icon says: "Tom designed the initial prototyping and rough patterning for the Icon in about three hours. It looked promising, so he spent the next two weeks nuancing the shape, adding a few features and perfecting the pattern. Itís a playful expression of a spontaneous inspiration and it doesnít take itself too seriously: if there is a Muse of Bags, we can say with some certainty that Tom was so visited."

To me that rather sounds like a burst of creativity than a fundamental new direction in design. I think that the design of the new travel bag will be more significant in this regard.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Perseffect, thanks for your point of view! Very well-articulated.

I rely on the Small Cafe Bags a lot and I hope they are not going anywhere. They are great travel bags. And in museums with really fussy security guards, they always seem to pass, as they look tiny.

However, function-wise, for me, I'm thinking that the horizontal layout, fully zippered main compartment, and the extra room for a water bottle or coffee mug on the Icon, could offer new use-cases. Only a week of actually using the Icon during my commute will answer that question though!

The Makers Bag didn't suit me for various reasons, and it was larger than I needed, so I'm hoping the Icon might be a good substitute.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 11-29-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Icon feels "trendy" to me, particularly the ones with wild colored zippers. It feels to me like a dress with shoulder pads was in the 80's: something that was fun at the time, but is mildly cringy if you pull it out of your closet now.

I feel that I'll be able to pull out my Aeronaut/tote bags/travel cubelet 30 years from now and it will still have that classic timeless feel. I don't feel that way about the Icon. So its not my bag this time. I still think lots of people will like it and enjoy using it, even if I won't.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I canít think of any particular trend of which the Icon is part. Tom Bihn bags are in the minority of the bags Iíve had over the years in only using black zippers no matter what the bag color (Coyote excepted).

What I do agree with is that the Icon draws attention with an eye-catching design. Some people donít like that, and thatís ok, but I donít think there is anything at all trendy or dating about the Iconís design.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    The Icon feels "trendy" to me, particularly the ones with wild colored zippers. It feels to me like a dress with shoulder pads was in the 80's: something that was fun at the time, but is mildly cringy if you pull it out of your closet now.

I feel that I'll be able to pull out my Aeronaut/tote bags/travel cubelet 30 years from now and it will still have that classic timeless feel. I don't feel that way about the Icon. So its not my bag this time. I still think lots of people will like it and enjoy using it, even if I won't.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Back to the recent released products. Iím a massive fan on the small cafe bag. I have several. Itís an amazingly simple product which is extremely practical. I think it looks really cool and has that feel of Ďa classic timeless designí. Comparing to the icon, other than the addition of zips, I donít think it brings anything more, but instead brings complications like openings not being on the top and shared spaces which seem to steal from each other (versus amazing designs like the Synapse/Synik where each space layers and fits neatly next to the adjoining one).

The one thing that really got me excited was the Shepherds Wool Utility Cloth because it could be a nice high quality version of a cotton shemagh that gets lots of multi functional use, picnic mat, scarf, etc.

I think on the ICON you will see both sides. There are people who don't like the small cafe bags because they don't zip. So now each costituent has a bag that works for them.

For me the PIKA looks better than the travel cublet because it has the magnetic closure and doesn't zip and more closely matches my needs. Bonus for me are what I perceive as nicer asthetics.

Finally - I'm definitely getting the Utility cloth in a couple of colors!
    Last edited by tebnewyork; 11-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @GrussGrott @Perseffect @sturbridge and others:

I appreciate your perspectives and Iím glad you shared them. If you didnít, weíd be missing out on important information or getting a skewed sense of what people want.

And itís helpful to hear that our focus on function and the experience of using a bag is appreciated, as well as the typically classic longevity-focused aesthetic we go for.

I of course canít speak for you guys because you havenít seen it yet, but I think the Trinity is a supremely functional bag with that classic aesthetic. No color zippers on that one Smilie

So, where weíre at right now is:
    Weíve got this amazing thing going right now here in Seattle. Our operations are running smoothly thanks first and foremost to our crew and secondly due to a variety of procedures, systems, and programs all of us spent years developing, implementing and refining. (We never stop refining/improving, but at a certain point, itís not as intensive and it becomes more about the people who are responsible for the procedures or systems bringing up possible improvements and implementing them.) Our factory is (here we brag) the most talented group of sewing professionals anywhere; thereís a level of magic that can happen with people who are not only talented but have decades of experience. Being able to work with Lisa and Fong motivates Tom and Nik to design more and more new bags ó you know how you can work with someone who just gets it and thereís an exchange back-and-forth and your work is made better for it? Thatís what the four of them have working together.

And, speaking of: you guys get us and you give us lots of feedback and this perfect alignment of the stars allows us to do more of the stuff you ask for. Doesnít mean we always agree, or even if we agree itís something we can realistically do, or that we ďget itĒ right away every time, yet it informs our work and energizes our creative processes. And weíre at a size that allows us to develop new fabrics and materials and play with colors in a way that just wasnít possible 10 years ago.

So, yeah: Efficient operations. Talented/expert crew. Honest and balanced feedback and respectful criticism from you guys. And access to materials or the ability to design our own/have them made for us. All of that means: we want to, and are, designing a lot of new bags ó we want to allow for ourselves to be as creative as we can, given the lucky position we find ourselves in.

Some of those new designs will feel like departures from what youíve come to expect from us, but it doesnít mean weíre changing overall or that all future designs will be like that ó more like, we had an idea, and because we can so effectively put out new designs with this perfect case scenario, weíre more open to just putting things out there to see if people like them or not.

(At one point, we had an idea for a part of the website thatíd be the ďBihn LabsĒ or similar ó weíd put up all of our new designs, or maybe just more experimental designs with the caveat that we might only make a couple production runs of them, or if there wasnít enough interest, maybe no production run at all.)

So, thatís all to say:
    There will be more bags like the Icon.
    There will be more bags like like Tri-Star, Aeronaut, others.
    There will be new bags we havenít even envisioned yet.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Thank you so much, Cristina. This is very helpful indeed.

I like that stealth black.

The pockets look flat. I really liked the gusseted pockets of the Makerís bag. When filled, the gusseted pockets sorta ďfellĒ towards the main compartment, which helped balance the bag.

@Walker, the pockets aren't as flat as you may be thinking. In fact, depending on what I put in them they kind of hang open and get in the way when I'm reaching for things in the bottom of the bag! If I put my cylindrical battery in one of those pockets, the pocket really sags open; if I put a pair of Mini Organizer Pouches in one, the pouches hold the pocket's width in place so it doesn't sag into the main compartment. These photos from @moriond show that aspect of the pockets better (and you can click the little red arrow to go to the full post):

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I know that views of the Icon (turned inside out) were shown in another thread. But here you can see the way the inside pockets look:
    Attachment 23734

This is the right side of the bag (the side where the shoulder strap feeds into a "hole" so that there are no ends dangling). I can put the pencil for the iPad Pro (or a ruler, or pen) into one of those inside side pockets.

Attachment 23735
    Here's the two inside pockets at the front of the bag.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    ...We’ve got this amazing thing going right now here in Seattle.
    I want to give this post extra likes! Wow, that's great.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stealth label on the black/black Icon. Love, love, LOVE.

NY Finger Lakes
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so the new stealth labels are a game changer!! I have seven lovely TB bags in purple hues on which the red TB logo seems so jarring, ok for sport but kinda says Ďbranding first.í This may be the one reason why I sometimes reach for a more traditional bag in some social and business settings. The aesthetic of the stealth label is both elegant and functional. Wish I could order a few to attach over my existing bags so I could use them more :-) Just imagine...aubergine/steel/grey with a stealth label, ahhhhhh!!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12/2 debut: news + stock + more

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    @Walker, the pockets aren't as flat as you may be thinking. . .These photos from @moriond . . .
    Thank you very much @aedifica. I went over and read the thread on the Makers Bag vs Icon also. Thank you for adding the link to that thread.

The photos and comments on that thread and this thread are very helpful.

I am still not sure about the opening to the main compartment being on the front side of the bag.

Last edited by Walker; 11-30-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Icon bag is catching my eyes.
    I would have loved to see at least one wrist handle (on the side maybe).
    A luggage passthrough like on the Pilot would have be great too.
    Last edited by squyzz; 11-29-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast