Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Darcy - it's great to hear that TB is doing so well that there is room to experiment and play and try new things! It seems to me that's a great way to keep yourselves interested and creatively satisfied, as well as perhaps introducing us to products we didn't know we needed. I have no doubt that the TB aesthetic and commitment to form AND function AND longevity will remain unchanged no matter what. TB is unique, it seems to me, in the level of interaction and dialogue you have with customers that goes far above and beyond anything I have experienced or would expect from other companies. All of this is just part of why I love you so much and have spent more on TB bags and their conveyance to the UK than I will ever admit to! No regrets, I never regret a Bihn bag! I love my MCB, but have always wished it had a zipper closure, so I'm thinking the Icon is the way to go next. I deeply love my Side Kick too, but have always wished it had several liters more capacity, so again, the Icon is calling to me. Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes info and your thoughts with us. Smilie
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    @GrussGrott @Perseffect @sturbridge and others:

I appreciate your perspectives and Iím glad you shared them. If you didnít, weíd be missing out on important information or getting a skewed sense of what people want.

So, thatís all to say:
    There will be more bags like the Icon.
    There will be more bags like like Tri-Star, Aeronaut, others.
    There will be new bags we havenít even envisioned yet.
    As always @Darcy , Thank you for listening.

Hope everyone is having a great thanksgiving weekend on that side of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy! Appreciate you appreciating the feedback! Though the icon is not the bag for me, I would love to see some of the icons innovations in another bag- love the black label, the strap management and yes, the rainbow zipper!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (At one point, we had an idea for a part of the website that’d be the “Bihn Labs” or similar — we’d put up all of our new designs, or maybe just more experimental designs with the caveat that we might only make a couple production runs of them, or if there wasn’t enough interest, maybe no production run at all.)
    It's great we can have such a close connection to the team through you Darcy - It makes using the bags feel comforting because you feel you're part of the team enabling it - so thanks so much for that!

As for the Bihn Labs idea, such a stellar idea - do it, do it, do it!

What a great way to separate your experiments from your core brand, making it easy for new and existing customers to easily understand the brand - look at the core.

(warning: product nerd pontification ahead)
    And Tom Bihn Labs (TBL) helps to protect the core lest someone see one bag and assume that's the core or all products are like that or they don't want bag#2 from a brand that sells bag#1. It also lays the foundation for product lines which i'm guessing has been considered ... in any event, for me, the brand is the promise: with us you get this; and right or wrong the Tom Bihn brand - the promise - for me has been: With Tom Bihn you get functional durability and a guarantee to back it up.

As for the Icon, I can say definitely not something i'd consider as I'd agree with others who mentioned it feels trendy (and if I'm being totally forthcoming, gimmicky), but I can also say I've never been accused of being a style Icon Big Grin That said, I love the fast innovation, experimentation, and ability to get things out the door, and I'd love it more if it were part of TBL.

Things like the Hero's Journey, the Stowaway, and maybe the Trinity are great examples of things that could be TBL ... and who knows, TBL might even make a great sub-brand! Maybe the blacked-out label with a bubbly beaker added?? Might even make TBL bags more alluring! I can see a lot of people getting pretty excited to own TBL aka TB Black Label...

Thanks for listening Darcy!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 11-29-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    It's great we can have such a close connection to the team through you Darcy - It makes using the bags feel comforting because you feel you're part of the team enabling it - so thanks so much for that!
    YES! So much this. I thought it was just me that found using TB bags comforting because of that connection, but apparently not. Big Grin Also, YES on the Bihn Labs idea!
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be perfectly honest: somehow, none of us thought of this possibility when we originally discussed splitting the 12/2 debut, so thank you for asking this question. It wasnít an issue when we split the Synik restock because there was just the Synik to order, but this debut is different because thereís so many individual items.

And since you asked your question, weíve been brainstorming solutions to this potential issue. As I mentioned previously, our goal is to avoid people having to pay multiple shipping charges ó to the extent that @Countron is programmed to recognize orders by the same people in the same batch and automatically combine then/remove a shipping charge.

The best solution we can think of is this:

If you place an order the morning of 12/2 and items that you had planned to order sell out before you can order then, and you plan to place an additional order after 1:00pm, please emailus@tombihn.com as soon as possible and let us know thatís what youíll be doing. We will hold your first order and combine it with the order received after 1:00pm, then ship them together as one order on 12/3.

Unless we think of something else, this probably means we canít split multiple-item-debuts in the future.

Iím sorry in advance for any hassles this causes. I really wish we had thought of this before!
    Thanks- hopefully I can just get everything I want in the first batchSmilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    I think on the ICON you will see both sides. There are people who don't like the small cafe bags because they don't zip. So now each costituent has a bag that works for them.

For me the PIKA looks better than the travel cublet because it has the magnetic closure and doesn't zip and more closely matches my needs. Bonus for me are what I perceive as nicer asthetics.

Finally - I'm definitely getting the Utility cloth in a couple of colors!
    I agree. Just wanted to say that I am one of those people who like the aesthetics of the Cafe Bag - that was what attracted me to Tom Bihn in the first place - but I've never been able to place an order for one. Because as much as I love the way it looks, the fact that there is no zip for the main compartment under the flap and no zip on the back pocket bugs me. So I know if I bought it, it would be for the aesthetics but I wouldn't be able to use it as much. My ideal messenger bag would actually be the Cafe Bag with zips for the main compartment and back pocket. In terms of shoulder / messenger bags, I have the Side Kick and the Parental Unit. I think the Icon would be a nice in-between for when I need more than a minimalist sling but less than I would carry for a work day, for instance. (I'd still love a Cafe Bag with all zippered compartments though!)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! We think we’ve figured out a solution to the “What if I order on 12/2 debut day at 8:00am, something I wanted sells out and I need to place an order at 1:00pm, but I don’t want to pay a second shipping charge!?” problem. Original thanks goes to @sd2102 for bringing this issue to our attention.

Today, Nik and I (everyone else has the day off; also, neither of us mind working on this, because it’s fun to solve problems like these — really, it’s my preference) flipped a switch in the system that shows this option at checkout when you place an order:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-wait-hold-jpg

When/if you place a second or more orders, you’ll see this:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-add-jpg

"Wait! Hold My Order Until 12/3" is live now until Monday 12/2 at 1:00pm Pacific Time.

"Add To My Held Order (Shipping 12/3)" is live now until Tuesday 12/3 at 6:00am Pacific Time.

So, basically: if, during checkout, you choose Wait! you can place additional orders to add bags to your first order up until 6:00am PT on 12/3 — and we’ll ship your order on 12/3.

Worth noting: it can take up to 60 seconds for the "Add To" option to appear after you've placed the first order.

Special note for international orders

If you’re outside of the United States and would like your order shipping UPS Expedited (no USPS, sorry) held up until Friday, December 13th — perhaps because you’d like to wait for any potential restocks before/on December 13th — please:

• Put this in the comments box on the basket page before checkout: "Hold my international order until December 13th"
    • Choose "Wait! Hold My Order Until 12/3" when you checkout on the website.

If you forget to put that note in the comments box (stuff happens) please promptly emailus@tombihn.com and request that we hold your order.

Then...
    • We'll hold your order.
    • You can place additional orders through the website that will automatically be added to your first order by choosing Add To My Held Order at checkout up until 12:00pm PT on Friday, December 13th.
    • We will ship your order on Friday, December 13th.

Sorry: we can’t hold orders longer than the 13th. Maybe a good thing, because UPS is recommending all orders intended for delivery by or on 12/24 are shipped by or on 12/13.

Note: we can only offer this to international orders because we don’t have the physical space to offer this for all orders, and international shipping is more expensive so it made sense to offer it for people outside of the U.S.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add: the above solution gives you the option of placing an order now through tomorrow for anything that's in-stock right now, and then adding debut items to that existing order when ordering opens at 8:00am Monday.

The benefit here would be that you don't have to spend time adding in-stock items to your cart along with the debut items at 8:00am Monday, perhaps reducing the chance that the debut items will sell out while you're adding to the cart. Note: I am not saying this to try to prompt ordering or create a sense of needing to rush, especially because it may not end up being necessary as some debut items may not sell out, but I wanted to offer this idea nonetheless!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fabulous solution! Now it's back to practicing my mousing and typing skills in advance of Monday's launch Wink
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Cafť Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y’all are awesome!Big Grin
    Update! We think we’ve figured out a solution to the “What if I order on 12/2 debut day at 8:00am, something I wanted sells out and I need to place an order at 1:00pm, but I don’t want to pay a second shipping charge!?” problem. Original thanks goes to @sd2102 for bringing this issue to our attention.

Today, Nik and I (everyone else has the day off; also, neither of us mind working on this, because it’s fun to solve problems like these — really, it’s my preference) flipped a switch in the system that shows this option at checkout when you place an order:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-wait-hold-jpg

When/if you place a second or more orders, you’ll see this:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-add-jpg

"Wait! Hold My Order Until 12/3" is live now until Monday 12/2 at 1:00pm Pacific Time.

"Add To My Held Order (Shipping 12/3)" is live now until Tuesday 12/3 at 6:00am Pacific Time.

So, basically: if, during checkout, you choose Wait! you can place additional orders to add bags to your first order up until 6:00am PT on 12/3 — and we’ll ship your order on 12/3.

Worth noting: it can take up to 60 seconds for the "Add To" option to appear after you've placed the first order.

Special note for international orders

If you’re outside of the United States and would like your order shipping UPS Expedited (no USPS, sorry) held up until Friday, December 13th — perhaps because you’d like to wait for any potential restocks before/on December 13th — please:

• Put this in the comments box on the basket page before checkout: "Hold my international order until December 13th"
    • Choose "Wait! Hold My Order Until 12/3" when you checkout on the website.

If you forget to put that note in the comments box (stuff happens) please promptly emailus@tombihn.com and request that we hold your order.

Then...
    • We'll hold your order.
    • You can place additional orders through the website that will automatically be added to your first order by choosing Add To My Held Order at checkout up until 12:00pm PT on Friday, December 13th.
    • We will ship your order on Friday, December 13th.

Sorry: we can’t hold orders longer than the 13th. Maybe a good thing, because UPS is recommending all orders intended for delivery by or on 12/24 are shipped by or on 12/13.

Note: we can only offer this to international orders because we don’t have the physical space to offer this for all orders, and international shipping is more expensive so it made sense to offer it for people outside of the U.S.

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for this wonderful solution! You ARE the best!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I have a couple of questions I am hoping the mods can answer:

First, can either size of the HLT pouch be attached as an upper modular pocket on the Smart Alec? Even though I have matching UMPs on my SAs, I like the colors/fabrics of the HLTs and would like to change up the look of a Smart Alec with maybe a Seapine or 200d halcyon HLT.

Next, I am intrigued by the PIKA and would most likely use it bag-in-bag style in a marsupial way when I want to, say, run into the grocery store with only my phone, wallet, and keys. Otherwise, it would hold my phone while sitting inside a larger bag, sort of like a cell phone pocket essentially. And I wondered if any of the mods have used the PIKA in this fashion and can comment on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi @pammy, I can only answer your first question and I hope that others will chime in to answer your second...

I tried the HLT 2 on my SA (I consider the HLT 1 as being to small). The quick and dirty solution is to use the large double carabiners that come with it. However, the HLT sits very low and aesthetically it is not very pleasing IMHO.

Attachment 23698

The next solution I tried is using 1" Single Gate Keepers. With two of them you can fix the HLT 2. The bag sits a lot higher, which is better but again I wouldn't consider it optimal but it would work.

Attachment 23699

Attachment 23700

There are certainly other solutions and I hope more creative bag hackers have more suggestions for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @bartleby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to try attaching the HLT to your Smart Alec. I was thinking how it would attach with the 1" gatekeepers and hadn't thought about using the double carabiners. But your pictures answered my questions. I will stick with my UMPs.
    Hi @pammy,

No need to stick to UMPs if you want to attach an HLT to your Smart Alec. I'll just say that you can use single gatekeeper clips on the back of the HLT1, but if you want to use put one of the HLT2s onto the top of a Smart Alec, here's one way to do it. (This only involves parts that you will have: a keystrap and the double carabiner clips that you either already have or that will come with the HLT1 or HLT2)

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4617-jpg

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4616-jpg

Thread the keystrap through the back of the HLT2 and attach the snaphook to the metal clip of the double carabiner. There are other ways to do this if you have Smart Alec Gatekeeper Strap (of the sort that are used to secure things to the front of the bag), or you could even make yourself a dedicated strap of the optimal length by taking any waist strap or webbing shoulder strap and cutting one end to the desired length and sewing the other end to either a double gatekeeper (if you only wanted this to pass through the wider openings at the top and bottom loops), or to a make a webbing loop that you could pass through the center opening and over a 1" single gatekeeper clip).
    12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4605-jpg

The HLT1 can attach directly to the top of the Smart Alec via single gatekeeper clips
    12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4609-jpg
    12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4618-jpg

If you have the old 1.5" long single gatekeeper clips that they no longer sell, you can attach the HLT2 to the top webbing loops, too, with those

In answer to your other question about using the PIKA in another bag when you grab it to go shopping, why not just put it into the front or back pocket of the Truck?
    12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4638-jpg
    12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_4639-jpg

(I happened to read this question when I was about to go out shopping for groceries; that my PIKA in Ultraviolet Halcyon in the front pocket of a Dawn Truck (the original size). You can also put it in one of the Shop Bag pockets, but I usually put milk or juice into those side pockets.

(Sorry about the lighting on the Smart Alec pictures, I shot them yesterday when there was glare)

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-30-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing, thank you!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the second batch of Icon's be available this afternoon? Thanks!
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast