Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Will the second batch of Icon's be available this afternoon? Thanks!
    Yes, at 1:00pm Pacific Time!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're in the eye of the debut storm, I have such an inane question that I just can't help but ask:

Logic Blue resembles Fjord color-wise, but name-wise, does Logic Blue = Spock Star Trek uniform blue? Cuz that goes through my head every time I read it.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    While we're in the eye of the debut storm, I have such an inane question that I just can't help but ask:

Logic Blue resembles Fjord color-wise, but name-wise, does Logic Blue = Spock Star Trek uniform blue? Cuz that goes through my head every time I read it.
    Makes complete sense to me 12/2 debut: news + stock + more

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @pammy,

No need to stick to UMPs if you want to attach an HLT to your Smart Alec. I'll just say that you can use single gatekeeper clips on the back of the HLT1, but if you want to use put one of the HLT2s onto the top of a Smart Alec, here's one way to do it. (This only involves parts that you will have: a keystrap and the double carabiner clips that you either already have or that will come with the HLT1 or HLT2)

Thread the keystrap through the back of the HLT2 and attach the snaphook to the metal clip of the double carabiner. There are other ways to do this if you have Smart Alec Gatekeeper Strap (of the sort that are used to secure things to the front of the bag), or you could even make yourself a dedicated strap of the optimal length by taking any waist strap or webbing shoulder strap and cutting one end to the desired length and sewing the other end to either a double gatekeeper (if you only wanted this to pass through the wider openings at the top and bottom loops), or to a make a webbing loop that you could pass through the center opening and over a 1" single gatekeeper clip).

The HLT1 can attach directly to the top of the Smart Alec via single gatekeeper clips

If you have the old 1.5" long single gatekeeper clips that they no longer sell, you can attach the HLT2 to the top webbing loops, too, with those

In answer to your other question about using the PIKA in another bag when you grab it to go shopping, why not just put it into the front or back pocket of the Truck?

(I happened to read this question when I was about to go out shopping for groceries; that my PIKA in Ultraviolet Halcyon in the front pocket of a Dawn Truck (the original size). You can also put it in one of the Shop Bag pockets, but I usually put milk or juice into those side pockets.

(Sorry about the lighting on the Smart Alec pictures, I shot them yesterday when there was glare)

HTH

moriond
    @moriond, thank you so much for your detailed response. I've been off the grid for the past couple of days due to an injury so just now trying to read the feedback on the new debut items. I missed the 8 a.m. debut due to an appointment and am hoping to place an order at 1:00. So your replies to my questions are very much appreciated while I ponder my order.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on additional production runs of the debut items is over here.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed out because of problem processing my credit card and I had left my alternate one at home (this happens when ordering international, my address fails sometime). Lesson learnt, I'll be ready for the Trinity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the British English spelling of the word «color» on Tom’s Firewood Carrier page intentional?

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed out on the Icon yesterday. Any chance of making Icon in Nordic or Black dyneema?

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Thanks, Darcy - it's great to hear that TB is doing so well that there is room to experiment and play and try new things! It seems to me that's a great way to keep yourselves interested and creatively satisfied, as well as perhaps introducing us to products we didn't know we needed.
    *And* the designs or colors you guys request! Between you and us, there’s a lot more we can be making.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Thanks Darcy! Appreciate you appreciating the feedback! Though the icon is not the bag for me, I would love to see some of the icons innovations in another bag- love the black label, the strap management and yes, the rainbow zipper!
    Yes! I’m curious what everyone is thinking of the black label / what they’ll think when they receive their Icons and see it in real life. And whether you guys want to see it on more bags.

Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    It's great we can have such a close connection to the team through you Darcy - It makes using the bags feel comforting because you feel you're part of the team enabling it - so thanks so much for that!

As for the Bihn Labs idea, such a stellar idea - do it, do it, do it!

What a great way to separate your experiments from your core brand, making it easy for new and existing customers to easily understand the brand - look at the core.

(warning: product nerd pontification ahead)
    And Tom Bihn Labs (TBL) helps to protect the core lest someone see one bag and assume that's the core or all products are like that or they don't want bag#2 from a brand that sells bag#1. It also lays the foundation for product lines which i'm guessing has been considered ... in any event, for me, the brand is the promise: with us you get this; and right or wrong the Tom Bihn brand - the promise - for me has been: With Tom Bihn you get functional durability and a guarantee to back it up.

As for the Icon, I can say definitely not something i'd consider as I'd agree with others who mentioned it feels trendy (and if I'm being totally forthcoming, gimmicky), but I can also say I've never been accused of being a style Icon Big Grin That said, I love the fast innovation, experimentation, and ability to get things out the door, and I'd love it more if it were part of TBL.

Things like the Hero's Journey, the Stowaway, and maybe the Trinity are great examples of things that could be TBL ... and who knows, TBL might even make a great sub-brand! Maybe the blacked-out label with a bubbly beaker added?? Might even make TBL bags more alluring! I can see a lot of people getting pretty excited to own TBL aka TB Black Label...

Thanks for listening Darcy!
    Haha I appreciate the nerd pontification.

The quick selling out of some of Monday’s debut items complicates this idea a little bit. I imagine we’ll offer some designs that’ll be duds and others that will sell out quick. So, we’d need to figure out how to best offer new, limited, experimental, or even one-offs in a way that doesn’t end up being a bummer.

Some other quick thoughts:

I like what you said here: With Tom Bihn you get functional durability and a guarantee to back it up. We'd want to make sure to communicate that, while we experiment with design and aesthetic, there's the parts that definitely aren't experiments and are backed up by our decades of experience: the quality of the materials, manufacturing, and service.

On another note, many of our most popular, enduring designs took a while to catch on (Hi, Aeronaut!) so there’s that complication. We’ve been moving towards retiring newer designs earlier if they aren’t knock-it-out-of-the-park hits because of our production capacity constraint, but that could be not giving people a chance to get to know a great design.

I like the beaker label idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    YES! So much this. I thought it was just me that found using TB bags comforting because of that connection, but apparently not. Big Grin Also, YES on the Bihn Labs idea!
    Vote for Bihn Labs noted! Good to get some early encouragement, and we’ll keep thinking on it. I’m picturing @Countron designing a bare-bones text Bihn Labs website….

Quote Originally Posted by Pahs View Post
    Is the British English spelling of the word «color» on Tom’s Firewood Carrier page intentional?
    The British English spelling of colour (adding the u) allows us to bypass the automatic "In Production" designation that comes up when a color combination sells out. So, in the case of the Firewood Carrier, we had it spelled as "colour" so that it didn't appear as In Production. Then we decided to make one more production run. And, because you asked about it, I was prompted to remove the "u" so now it's listing as In Production. Maybe more than you ever wanted to know, but there you go... Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by sharkh View Post
    I missed out on the Icon yesterday. Any chance of making Icon in Nordic or Black dyneema?
    Sorry you missed out on the Icon. Irma is finishing cutting the next production run today! No 400d or Halcyon or 210d ballistic options for the Icon are planned. I'll double check with Tom, but I believe he felt those materials just wouldn't have the structure that the design of the Icon needs.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the Trinity? When is it coming out?

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    What is the Trinity? When is it coming out?
    Okay, take this all with a huge grain of salt because it's subject to change, but you've caught me at the end of a busy day and my guard is down so... Big Grin

The original Trinity is a new travel bag designed by Tom; at this point, we think it will debut in two sizes in early-mid 2020. Its release has been delayed multiple times because we're waiting on a specialty zipper made just for us that's essential to the design.

Since designing the original Trinity, Tom has also designed a Trinity messenger bag and is working on Trinity briefcases. No timeline for those.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the trinity, if you need someone to test the design...

And in good news there was a HLT1 still available when I got home as was able to use my alternate credit card, along with a few extra accessories for Xmas travels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And whether you guys want to see it on more bags.
    An emphatic yes! Absolutely love it and haven't even seen it in person yet (my attempts to secure the stealth Icon failed me, argh!).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the look of the black label and I can’t wait to see it on the black pop tote!!!!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re black label: all of the yes. Black pop tote and ZTSB all day. Also, DLBC and dlbp. And I bet the luminary would look like a 007 bag. Did I mention yes?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast