Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Agreed: I don't like that my "new" bags might have been shipped to and test-packed by 3 other people before they were sent to me (I'm assuming - please correct me if not). new should be factory line new.
    I have never ordered and returned an item because of international shipping, but I wouldn’t mind getting an item that has been returned. I trust the folks at TB to not send me an item that isn’t in perfect condition. I’ve never had a problem with that so far (unlike with other online stores). If I buy something in a store it’s also likely that people have tried and/or handled the item before me. Personally I’m happy if there’s a generous return policy and returned goods aren’t destroyed but go on to people who will use them - resulting in fewer resources being wasted.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB bags suffer zero damage from test packing -- they suffer zero damage from being used, as far as I can tell. Even my most used bags are basically like new except for the most superficial of cosmetic alteration. I think this is why used bags sell for damn near full retail -- sometimes more!

My two year old Pop Tote is sitting on the table next to me. It's been to three countries, dozens of flights, a horse barn, the beach, everywhere. I have not been careful with it. And I would defy anyone to distinguish it from a brand new one.

So I have zero qualms about buying a bag someone else tested before me. I think the leave-the-tag-on rule is plenty to ensure a returned bag is a good-as-new bag.

Also, they are expensive, so it's a comfort to know I can try it before I commit. That said, I've never returned anything to TB. I love everything I get!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12/2 debut: news + stock + more

It’s very difficult to know whether a product is right for you no matter how much research you do, how many reviews you read or videos you watch. Sometimes you just need to handle it in person and try seeing whether it fits what you want. If someone has returned a bag which has clearly been used and is not in a “new” condition then TB would not accept the return. I trust in the brand, and that what I am buying is fit for purpose and unused.

Also just to remember that there are many international TB customers who need to pay significant shipping and customs duties. An additional restocking fee would make the brand very prohibitive for us, and I disagree with the idea of introducing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed: I don't like that my "new" bags might have been shipped to and test-packed by 3 other people before they were sent to me (I'm assuming - please correct me if not). new should be factory line new.

TB should have a returns restocking fee, and for people that want to try out bags, TB could send out tester bags, and have the shipping fees refunded if they order the bag or something similar.

I realize this is probably the most unpopular post ever, but, at this point, I don't want to go off-brand by saying stuff people agree with.

Hi @GrussGott,

I respectfully disagree with the notion that there are both many speculative purchases and that there should be a restocking fee. Tom BIHN sells their products through their online presence, and most of its customers, including forum members, have never been to their factory/store. In addition to the folks who join the forums and give feedback here, there is a larger community of first-time buyers who would not become customers if there were a returns restocking fee. They continue to use that same product for many years, and usually buy accessories at the same time. For those people, there is no incentive to have potential restocking fees credited against future purchases — just an additional barrier against trying products out in the first place.

If you trust customer support to send you top quality products in the first place, do you not also trust them to inspect and maintain the quality of returned products before they are sent to you and be equally willing to support these products in the case of potential problems?

Some forum members who received products to review have made them available for others to try out when these bags were no longer needed. (I’m thinking about @Janine’s The Traveling Parental Unit) I personally don’t like the idea of Tom BIHN as a company maintaining “tester bags” that are in an intermediate category of quality standard that is not representative of their work. If it isn’t as good as what you would buy directly from them, why would you want to evaluate it? And if it is as good, who is in charge of inspecting it and “maintaining” the standard. Finally, how does that help in a situation of scarcity such as the present product debut, when they’re trying to get their available stock of products that are limited by supply shortages out to as many customers as possible?

I think that the outlined plans for going forward in the last part of Darcy’s post makes a good attempt to balance debut and preorder items and reflects some of the serious thought that was given to very diverse groups in the discussions — including international buyers and folks not directly on the forums. Please help them with additional feedback to improve those plans if you see serious deficiencies.

And these are just my opinions (expressed as an individual, not as a moderator), so of course statements made here that you might object to should not be reflect on the efforts being made by the folks at Tom Bihn

Best,

moriond

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youronur View Post
    It’s very difficult to know whether a product is right for you no matter how much research you do, how many reviews you read or videos you watch. Sometimes you just need to handle it in person and try seeing whether it fits what you want. If someone has returned a bag which has clearly been used and is not in a “new” condition then TB would not accept the return. I trust in the brand, and that what I am buying is fit for purpose and unused.

Also just to remember that there are many international TB customers who need to pay significant shipping and customs duties. An additional restocking fee would make the brand very prohibitive for us, and I disagree with the idea of introducing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My post which triggered this discussion was not meant in any way to say that there should not be good reason for customers to try and return items. Just that it is unfortunate when it is at time of a debut and many cannot get items. And I fully appreciate Darcy’s feedback and that the Tom Bihn team are reviewing how situation can hopefully be improved in future.

For many international customers, with high cost of shipping and customs, it is cost prohibitive to make speculative purchases and returns, so we are almost always making committee purchases based on solid judgement and often the great reviews in these forums - and personally I have never been disappointed.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 12-08-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without getting all sappy here, I just want to say that the recent posts of honest respectful polite discussion are the main reasons I'm so happy to spend time here on the Forums and be a volunteer Mod.
    Thank you all for helping create such an open and respectful community.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    "Our 630d fabric is a filament fabric, so it’s smooth like our 210d, 525d and 1050d ballistic, and doesn’t tend to collect pet hair or fussels. Unlike those fabrics, it’s a plain weave (a 1X1 construction as opposed to the ballistic, 2X2 or “basket weave”) and so its texture has a slightly more coarse appearance, reminiscent of 1000d Cordura."

So is it smooth or not? Because Cordura isn't smooth and unlike my Parapack FJN which spends many time on my lap, the Plum, despite being a favorite color has been assigned the task of keeping past months journal entries.

The HTLs will be mini FJN, pen case combos and will be expected to feel smooth on my laps, I know the ones in Halcyon will deliver that smooth feeling, will the 630d Recycled be smooth as well?

Please, please share your impression of the fabric.
    I find the fabric to be very smooth, including on my HLTs...

The thing to note here from the materials page is that the appearance is a bit different because it's a different weave (ie, not ballistic 2x2 weave) but that the fabric is smooth because the base is filament fabric, just like the ballistics (and unlike Cordura).

With feel, there's the tactile surface sensation and also the perception of stiffness/suppleness... I think the comments about it being between Parapack and 525 ballistic are accurate (with a dollop of 210 thrown in)

Sooo, I think you will find this very comfy and definitely smoother than the Cordura FJNs.

HTH

ETA: Thanks for mentioning the Parapack FJN, didn't know they had been made in that Smilie
    Plum is a great colour so I hope it's at least hanging out where you can see it
    Last edited by G42; 12-08-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several valid points have been respectfully discussed. The point about "Is New really New?" has not. We all know a TB bag will not suffer product failure from a few trial packings. In the course of a used bag transaction a common description presents details for an informed buyer to know about smoke, pet, and bedbug exposures plus possibly how bag was used. A bag from TB factory setting may only have the chance of pet exposure (though I am uncertain about exact pet policy throughout TB factory). A returned bag has all unknowns.

I can know more about a used bag than a new one?? Should a New bag have a sticker saying it was a "returned item-thanks for saving the planet FYI" tag? Or are the used bag sellers completely wasting their time listing about pet, smoke, and exposure status because it never matters?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you'll note from my post just before yours I purchased four new items, (HLT1, HLT2, Icon and PIKA). What's interesting to me is that only one of those four was a "speculative" order yet is the only one that I will be keeping. When they were first announced I thought the HLT's and the Icon were the exact bags that I was looking for yet once I received them, test packed, and wore them I knew they weren't right for me. Goes to show that you just never know until you get it in your hands.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Or are the used bag sellers completely wasting their time listing about pet, smoke, and exposure status because it never matters?
    My understanding of that information in a listing is that it's for the benefit of people with allergies. Judging by the pictures of dogs in the TB factory, maybe all new bags have been in the same room as dogs anyway?

The 60-day restriction makes it unlikely a bag would be in the home of even the heaviest smoker long enough to pick up odors. And if you do receive a bag that somehow picked up a smell, hey, you can return it! Big Grin

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I sell a bag as used, I've worn it outdoors, set it down on all kinds of random surfaces in my house and on public transportation, possibly let one of my cats sit on it, and all kinds of other things that can impact its reusability. If I have a bag that I am considering returning, it will at the most be handled a few times and possibly test-packed. It would remain in the box until I have made my decision. I don't think the potential for picking up allergens or odors is the same.

I have no qualms about receiving TB stuff that others have tried out and returned. The same thing can happen when I buy something on Amazon, Target or even Home Depot. Those are all places where I've taken advantage of generous return policies.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the at times significant investment point of these bags, I am grateful for the fair return policy on bags. As @youronur mentioned, sometimes you just need to handle it in person to know it is right for you. I have particularly found this to be the case when trying to decide between two sizes. For example, the Synapse 19 and Synik 22 fit me more comfortably than the Synapse 25 or Synik 30, no matter how much I might be tempted by the larger capacities. It has been through trying on the bags and test packing them that I have been able to determine if they fit me and/or my needs. I have confidence that if a returned bag showed wear or heavy scents that Tom Bihn would not re-sell it.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I have confidence that if a returned bag showed wear or heavy scents that Tom Bihn would not re-sell it.
    Totally agree, I don't think that a bag that doesn't look like brandnew or does show traces of use would ever be send out to a TB customer.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I find the fabric to be very smooth, including on my HLTs...

The thing to note here from the materials page is that the appearance is a bit different because it's a different weave (ie, not ballistic 2x2 weave) but that the fabric is smooth because the base is filament fabric, just like the ballistics (and unlike Cordura).

With feel, there's the tactile surface sensation and also the perception of stiffness/suppleness... I think the comments about it being between Parapack and 525 ballistic are accurate (with a dollop of 210 thrown in)

Sooo, I think you will find this very comfy and definitely smoother than the Cordura FJNs.

HTH

ETA: Thanks for mentioning the Parapack FJN, didn't know they had been made in that Smilie
    Plum is a great colour so I hope it's at least hanging out where you can see it
    My Plum FJN is in a clear box right next to my recliner at glancing eye view. I admire it at the end of each month when I put together the stack of punched paper that consist of my journal entries.

The Parapack FJN is a workhorse, it was a limited run and I should have bought both Steel and Navy Parapack, I didn't buy the Navy and was never able to find a used one.

To me who prefers A5 loose leaf, 3 holes punch paper, which is a very old French/European format for field work because, it is portable enough to walk around with it and big enough to contain landscape sketches, mammal groups family trees, etc... If an A4 sheet of paper punched in the middle is used. Tom designed it for people who do field work.

In everyday life, it is a life saver, unlike notebooks, it stays open at the page I want, when I am juggling the phone, websites and a small stack of paperwork to make sense of overly complicated U.S systems, which are customer hostile.

It is a joy to use at meetings and lectures where there are no tables but rows of seats where it is impractical to carry an A4 notepad, because one just knows that one or more person from the middle seats, will get up multiple times to get snacks or drinks, if they are provided, or, use the powder room, comes back and decide to leave in the middle of the most interesting speaker's presentation or funny annecdote.

I would have to lift up an A4 notepad, but I can just slide my knees and the FJN in the aisle and continue to take note when the interloper slides him or herself out of the row.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I have no qualms about receiving TB stuff that others have tried out and returned. The same thing can happen when I buy something on Amazon, Target or even Home Depot. Those are all places where I've taken advantage of generous return policies.
    It is some of the inevitable that comes with online shopping. As far as I can see there are two alternatives: Selling returned items cheaper or destroying a lot of stuff that would still be ok because for many of the online giants this seems to be cheaper than checking it and selling it again. For a smaller company with an eye on sustainability both is inappropriate even more so because a bag usually will suffer no damage from a thoughtful customer who is not yet sure whether to keep it or not.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast