Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some updates and things...

The Shepherd's Wool Utility Cloth is shipped folded with a piece of selvedge and a brown kraft tag, so it's already kind of wrapped if you're planning to give it as a gift (to yourself or someone else!)

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-wool-scarves-jpg

When I hinted about the Icon, I said it was Small Cafe Bag-like, which was misleading (sorry!) Below are some dimensions and volumes for comparison:

Icon
    13.6” (w) x 9.6” (h) x 5.3” (d) / 345 (w) x 245 (h) x 135 (d) mm
    Volume: 440 cubic inches / 7.2 liters

Small Cafe Bag
    Dimensions: 8.3" (w) x 10.6" (h) x 3" (d) / 210 (w) x 270 (h) x 75 (d) mm
    Volume: 375 cubic inches / 6 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

Medium Cafe Bag
    Dimensions: 10.6" (w) x 12.2" (h) x 3" (d) / 270 (w) x 310 (h) x 75 (d) mm
    Volume: 500 cubic inches / 8 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

My personal sense of its size is: it's sort of this magical shape and size where it doesn't feel big and it doesn't feel small. At 5'5" on a good day, I can wear it and feel like it's not too big, and yet Tom who is 6'0" can wear it and it looks like an appropriate size for him as well.

Speaking of heights: the Icon is the first bag to have Tom's Rabbit Hole shoulder strap design. Basically, the excess length of the shoulder strap webbing slides down into a secret compartment in the Icon, so it's a very clean look. But there's an additional advantage to this for those of us who are shorter in height: there is no limit to how short the shoulder strap can get. It's not difficult to slide the additional strap length down, but it's not a quick adjustment either; we figure it's an adjustment people will occasionally make to their bag (as opposed to daily, or multiple times a day.)

In other Icon news, here's a photo from the factory floor of the Black 525d/Black Zipper version with the dark grey on black logo label:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-icon-black-lanel-jpg
    It's difficult to capture in a photograph how nice of a woven label it is.

Here's a photo of a Handy Little Thing (HLT) Pouch Size 1 in Seapine on top of a Travel Laundry Stuff Sack in Viridian:

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-seapine-vs-virdian-jpg
    To my eye, they are very different colors. I don't think I quite captured either of them perfectly, but hopefully this photo helps to show off the differences between the two.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    The new designs are wonderful! Good thing Christmas is coming up....! Can I ask a quick question - apologies if this has already been asked. Do all the Icon bags have a grey lining? Or what kind of lining do they have? Just because if it's too dark inside, I can't see stuff in there, and that will help me make a decision! But I LOVE that there is a new cross body bag with a zip top. I have been hoping for a design like this for ages! Love the new colours too. You are spoiling us with this update. Big Grin
    All the Icon interiors are CLOUD
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    All the Icon interiors are CLOUD
    Thank you! Smilie
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I missed this somewhere, but what happens if you manage to get something you like in the first batch at 8 am but have to wait for the second batch at 1 pm to get something else you wanted? Do you end up paying shipping twice, or will the orders be combined?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sd2102; 11-26-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G42 and moriond thank you VERY much for the responses, you guys are invaluable resources here in the forums.

So I think the Icon, as cool as it is, might be just too large for what I'm looking for, so for now I'll wait. I'm still not sure about the Side Kick, after pouring over the dimensions of it and several other bags I'm still scared it might be a bit too small. I think if there was a version that had maybe 1.5x or 2x the depth I'd be sold. I'm playing around with my Travel Cubelet now which is slightly deeper than a Side Kick and am just scared it'll be too thin to hold bulkier stuff.

My NEW dilemma (because it's always something, right?) is regarding the HLT. I was sold on the larger version but now after comparing the dimensions with the Side Effect and holding the SE on the inside of my Synik 30 as a "hanging pouch" I feel like the SE's width is the absolute maximum that could fit comfortably in that space. But the HLT is actually a bit wider than the SE, making me worried it would be too cumbersome in the hanging pouch space. I like the idea of a highly organized pouch that fits perfectly in the lower "mouth" pocket of the Synik though, so maybe just go with the larger one anyway and use my existing SE as the hanging pouch add on?

Maybe I should just order a bunch of stuff to try out but I don't trust myself to send anything back EEK!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Side Kick BUT it doesn't work on a day I'm lugging a physical book around, so the Icon should be nice for that.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
    G42 and moriond thank you VERY much for the responses, you guys are invaluable resources here in the forums.

So I think the Icon, as cool as it is, might be just too large for what I'm looking for, so for now I'll wait. I'm still not sure about the Side Kick, after pouring over the dimensions of it and several other bags I'm still scared it might be a bit too small. I think if there was a version that had maybe 1.5x or 2x the depth I'd be sold. I'm playing around with my Travel Cubelet now which is slightly deeper than a Side Kick and am just scared it'll be too thin to hold bulkier stuff.

My NEW dilemma (because it's always something, right?) is regarding the HLT. I was sold on the larger version but now after comparing the dimensions with the Side Effect and holding the SE on the inside of my Synik 30 as a "hanging pouch" I feel like the SE's width is the absolute maximum that could fit comfortably in that space. But the HLT is actually a bit wider than the SE, making me worried it would be too cumbersome in the hanging pouch space. I like the idea of a highly organized pouch that fits perfectly in the lower "mouth" pocket of the Synik though, so maybe just go with the larger one anyway and use my existing SE as the hanging pouch add on?

Maybe I should just order a bunch of stuff to try out but I don't trust myself to send anything back EEK!
    Because I like to throw data at folks and this is how my mind works... capacity and then things like internal organization, zip/no zip closure, orientation, etc.

These are the non-backpack carries, not including anything bigger than 8L, so no Shop Bags, Swifts, Trucks, etc.:

PIKA - pure minimal

Cubelet 0.6L, minimal square

SE 1.5L horizontal orientation
    TC 1.7L vertical orientation
    SK 3.0L horizontal orientation
    PCSB 4.5L horizontal orientation (no internal organization, adding a medium OP helps with stiffness)
    SCB 6.0L vertical orientation (no top zip)
    Icon 7.2L horizontal orientation
    MCB 8.0L vertical orientation (no top zip)
    DLBC 8.0L horizontal orientation
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Question, will the HLT2 fit in the Synik 22 main compartment hooking to top o-rings?
    I'm wondering that too; size-wise it will but what about hooking it to the O-rings?

Currently in my Synik 22 I put my lunchbox in the lower half of the bag and my Side Kick in the upper half. The Side Kick fits and I really like the organization it provides but I think a pouch that hangs from the O-rings so that it doesn't slide around would be better. I have a Side Effect on my wishlist and I own a pair of the swivel carabinders and extra keystraps so I was going to test my theory out.
    Last edited by Shortie; 11-26-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I like to throw data at folks and this is how my mind works... capacity and then things like internal organization, zip/no zip closure, orientation, etc.
    More data please.... length of PIKA strap fullly extended.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    If no one else chimes in, I'll check when I'm home in a few hours (I'm on the west coast)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooh! The HLT might satisfy my need to put my Gameboy and games in something. Then they could attach to the waist-strap points of my medium cafe bag. Bonus if I got a strap so if I was just wandering around my house with them I could keep them with me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my first thoughts as I completely stopped working in the office just to look at them...WOW! Nice variety we have here and they look great! The new Ghost Whale releases will def be on my list since I don't have any yet but I see soooooo many uses for them. I also like the HLT, will the size 2 be able to hook onto the two o-rings in the Brain Bag?

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these designs (specifically the Icon) going to be in production after the first of the year or is this just one-shot to get them? I’ve got new rescue dogs and they are going to be sucking up any expendable money right now (the poor guys just need so much!) but I really like that Icon. The black with the Island zippers is calling me.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    If no one else chimes in, I'll check when I'm home in a few hours (I'm on the west coast)
    It's about 57" from the clip point on each end (so I'm including the length of the clips)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Are these designs (specifically the Icon) going to be in production after the first of the year or is this just one-shot to get them? I’ve got new rescue dogs and they are going to be sucking up any expendable money right now (the poor guys just need so much!) but I really like that Icon. The black with the Island zippers is calling me.
    Thanks for working with rescue dogs, that's great!

This is what @Darcy said in the blog post (lots more good info there if you have time to check it out)

https://blog.tombihn.com/#forever

:Will you be offering these new designs forever?

Here’s where things are getting interesting: our production capacity will likely remain stable, and yet Tom and Nik are designing tons of new bags. Big bags, small bags, all kinds of bags. And we’re bringing in more fabrics, more colors, trying new stuff. It’s a lot of fun. And at the same time, we already make a large variety of colors, fabrics, and designs for a company our size.

We of course saw this coming, and have implemented various efforts to help us manage this. One of those efforts was the pre-order system; that system allows us to semi-retire some designs and bring them back for occasional pre-order production runs (if our data indicates it’s worth the production time to do so and we have the materials necessary).

Anyway, this is all to say: the 12/2 debuts will be available at least into early 2020 and possibly beyond. And at some point in 2020, it is likely we will retire or semi-retire some designs to make way for new designs that will be coming. We’ll give plenty of heads-up before retiring any designs."

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast