Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this is a Synik 22 or a 30 and if it's a HLT size 1 or 2 in these pics from the HLT product page? I'm still really leaning towards the larger size but I'm really curious how it fits in a Synik 30 in the upper interior spot.

Edit: Nevermind, I see now that if you choose the size 2 HLT the pictures change, which would make these pics the HLT 1.
    I just want to mention in case it hadn't crossed yours (or others) minds about using the 3DOC for this too, I have a pic showing this in the thread on my Synik 30 https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...mparisons.html

Attached with the single gate clips.

More specifically: https://ibb.co/crNz436

I think for myself the 3DOC is a better option, it's cheaper, I don't think I'd ever use the notebook feature of the HLT and they both can do the strap thing if necessary. That said, the front pocket on the HLT might be a nice convenience, it's a little bigger and the clips are a little better placed for the possibility of hanging on a plane seat.

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bartleby thank you for orienting my photo properly. How did you do that? I’m using an iPad and not using Tapatalk if that helps.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked over the new products and while there are some neat new options, I really I don't need anything right now! I can go off on vacation with way less stress about the debut!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I've looked over the new products and while there are some neat new options, I really I don't need anything right now! I can go off on vacation with way less stress about the debut!
    Pretty much same here. If I do pick something else up in the future it will likely be a monster truck but not right now.

I do think if someone is in the market for a Synik 30 though they should really consider the steel parapack exterior one. I have the opposite (navy exterior, steel interior) and both navy and steel parapack is very nice in both feels and look, especially if you enjoy cel shaded stylings it really brings that out in the light.

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to play around with a prototype HLT for a month or so. The airplane seat back clips are amazingly useful, moreso than I ever expected. The pockets are thoughtfully laid out, and the final product has a bunch of improvements over the prototype I used. Size was different than final product.

The product page / specs seem pretty true to the product so it should be self explanatory. That being said if anyone has questions I’m happy to answer them!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We posted a video of the HLT 1 elsewhere and someone commented that they've been using their Side Effect like how one would use the HLT: clipped into the Synik as an organizer or carried on its own. If you've got a Side Effect and you're happy with it, know that we will be offering the Medium Swivel Double Carabiners available for separate purchase in early 2020: so, that means you could keep using your Side Effect and get a pair of those carabiners so you can use them to clip the Side Effect to the Synik or Synapse. It's maybe not quite as elegant as the HLTs way of clipping, but it totally works.

Also worth noting: the first production run of HLTs will include two sets of Swivel Double Carabiners -- two carabiners in size Medium and two carabiners in size Large. We're including both sizes because we'd like your feedback on which size you think works best with the HLT. Future production batches of the HLTs will include only one set of carabiners, so this is kinda like an extra bonus set Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Question, will the HLT2 fit in the Synik 22 main compartment hooking to top o-rings?
    Confirmed! Yes, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOmegaOdyssey View Post
    I also like the HLT, will the size 2 be able to hook onto the two o-rings in the Brain Bag?
    The HLT does clip to the O-rings in the Brain Bag! It hangs a little further down, but it works fine.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of questions I am hoping the mods can answer:

First, can either size of the HLT pouch be attached as an upper modular pocket on the Smart Alec? Even though I have matching UMPs on my SAs, I like the colors/fabrics of the HLTs and would like to change up the look of a Smart Alec with maybe a Seapine or 200d halcyon HLT.

Next, I am intrigued by the PIKA and would most likely use it bag-in-bag style in a marsupial way when I want to, say, run into the grocery store with only my phone, wallet, and keys. Otherwise, it would hold my phone while sitting inside a larger bag, sort of like a cell phone pocket essentially. And I wondered if any of the mods have used the PIKA in this fashion and can comment on it.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    @bartleby thank you for orienting my photo properly. How did you do that? I’m using an iPad and not using Tapatalk if that helps.
    Hi @Finnabair, I downloaded your photo on my MacBook, rotated it with the photo app and uploaded it again. There is no other way to do it. The photo has to have the right orientation when you upload it. You can rotate photos on an IPad too: click on the photo in the photo app, then click „edit“, then click on the „crop“ button and then you see an icon for rotation, click on that until the photo is in the right orientation. Save the picture after rotating and upload it. That‘s it!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi @Finnabair, I downloaded your photo on my MacBook, rotated it with the photo app and uploaded it again. There is no other way to do it. The photo has to have the right orientation when you upload it. You can rotate photos on an IPad too: click on the photo in the photo app, then click „edit“, then click on the „crop“ button and then you see an icon for rotation, click on that until the photo is in the right orientation. Save the picture after rotating and upload it. That‘s it!
    Thanks for the explanation. Odd thing is, the photo is oriented correctly on my phone and iPad. And the photo was actually shot in the proper orientation, so it didn’t somehow revert to a pre-edit state when uploaded.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The HLT does clip to the O-rings in the Brain Bag! It hangs a little further down, but it works fine.

Thanks for checking, Darcy! Good that the cache loops work well too!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shepherd’s wool! Saffron gold.

The Icon looks interesting. I like the stealth black.

Can we get a photo of it turned inside out to show the pockets inside the main compartment. Pretty please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Odd thing is, the photo is oriented correctly on my phone and iPad. And the photo was actually shot in the proper orientation, so it didn’t somehow revert to a pre-edit state when uploaded.
    We had that before, it seems that some devices show photos in the correct orientation and after uploading they are rotated. Mystic...
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am intrigued by the Icon as I find the MB too large for EDC. Can anyone who has both take photos comparing size, depth etc.? FWIW, I am petite at just under 5’ 2” and don’t want a huge bag. I have a SCB and use it currently as my EDC, but was looking for something slightly larger for an upcoming vacation. And bonus if anyone has all 3 and can take comparison photos! Thanks in advance ��

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I have a couple of questions I am hoping the mods can answer:

First, can either size of the HLT pouch be attached as an upper modular pocket on the Smart Alec? Even though I have matching UMPs on my SAs, I like the colors/fabrics of the HLTs and would like to change up the look of a Smart Alec with maybe a Seapine or 200d halcyon HLT.
    Hi @pammy, I can only answer your first question and I hope that others will chime in to answer your second...

I tried the HLT 2 on my SA (I consider the HLT 1 as being to small). The quick and dirty solution is to use the large double carabiners that come with it. However, the HLT sits very low and aesthetically it is not very pleasing IMHO.

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_0614-jpeg

The next solution I tried is using 1" Single Gate Keepers. With two of them you can fix the HLT 2. The bag sits a lot higher, which is better but again I wouldn't consider it optimal but it would work.

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_0616-jpeg

12/2 debut: news + stock + more-img_0617-jpeg

There are certainly other solutions and I hope more creative bag hackers have more suggestions for you!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bartleby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to try attaching the HLT to your Smart Alec. I was thinking how it would attach with the 1" gatekeepers and hadn't thought about using the double carabiners. But your pictures answered my questions. I will stick with my UMPs.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast