Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanisol View Post
    Are there specific circumstances to knit while walking? Like, just when you are waiting in line or something, or do you walk down the street knitting? Apologies if this comes across as snarky - I am legitimately curious. Smilie
    Both! It takes a certain type of project though - it needs to be small/light since you donít have a lap to rest it on and really simple so you donít have to look at what youíre doing (socks and hats usually work best). And you need to be able to knit without looking at your work, which not everyone can do. In my pre-kid days, Iíd always have knitting with me and knit everywhere. Now that Iím using my Icon as my purse, maybe i can dedicate some space to always have knitting with me again. Smilie

  2. #17
    Forum Member NYCWriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Share
    Manhattan
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, who are we kidding -- I AM going to get one.

    And darn it, Bihn! The colors again. I love them all. Decisions, decisions decisions. Especially since two choices are variations of my high school colors ("garnet and grey").

  3. #18
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,525
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    The Icon appears to solve one of my biggest complaints about the MCB: The flap.

    The flap for me is problematic when I'm on the subway, seated, bag in my lap, strap still over my shoulder.

    I tend to cross my legs. This pitches the bag at a backwards angle and any loose stuff inside always manages to fall right out of the unsecured top. As much as I love the feel, wear, and casual look of the MCB, I find myself reaching for the Co-Pilot more often (especially when it's raining) because all those zippers lock everything down securely.

    The Icon appears to be a MCB without the flap. But it also appears to have an oddly-placed top zipper. I would have preferred the top zipper to be at the actual top, and even slightly down the sides for maximum interior accessibility.
    Just keep in mind that if you're considering volumes like the Co-Pilot (10 liters), the capacity of the Icon is considerably smaller (7.2 liters vs the 8 liters of the Medium Cafe Bag). And it won't work well for storing larger boxy objects that the Co-Pilot excels in (such as camera lenses or bluetooth speakers). On the other hand storing some things works better in the Icon -- the Zojurushi mug (sometimes used for tea) stores better here, and a light merino jersey in the back pocket works well.

  4. #19
    Forum Member DQBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Share
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my Icon about two hours ago, and I am madly in love with it. Thanks to @moriond, I got my first Freudian Slip and it fits beautifully in there along with my Zojurushi mug. I still to rearrange my things, and I guessed wrong on the sizes pouches I ordered so I am rethinking their purpose (my whale pouch now holds granola bars and not my portable utensils, and the Q-Kit I got is now holding chargers, not coins), and I'll grab photos of the entire setup once I'm home from work and everything is sorted into its proper place.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

  5. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Share
    New York City
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    The Icon appears to solve one of my biggest complaints about the MCB: The flap.

    The flap for me is problematic when I'm on the subway, seated, bag in my lap, strap still over my shoulder.

    I tend to cross my legs. This pitches the bag at a backwards angle and any loose stuff inside always manages to fall right out of the unsecured top. As much as I love the feel, wear, and casual look of the MCB, I find myself reaching for the Co-Pilot more often (especially when it's raining) because all those zippers lock everything down securely.

    The Icon appears to be a MCB without the flap. But it also appears to have an oddly-placed top zipper. I would have preferred the top zipper to be at the actual top, and even slightly down the sides for maximum interior accessibility.

    I like the look of the flap on my MCB, but my experience -- I also live in NYC -- is similar: things can fall out when you set it down or sit on the subway. My Co-Pilot works well as a EDC, has a compartment for a 20-ounce bottle, and is even big enough for file folders. I thought that TB might come up with a version of the MCB with a zippered main compartment. I couldn't tell from the description if the Icon has as much internal organization as an MCB, but I'm looking forward to getting mine (supposed to arrive tomorrow) to see how it works for me as a commuter.

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Share
    New York City
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Just keep in mind that if you're considering volumes like the Co-Pilot (10 liters), the capacity of the Icon is considerably smaller (7.2 liters vs the 8 liters of the Medium Cafe Bag). And it won't work well for storing larger boxy objects that the Co-Pilot excels in (such as camera lenses or bluetooth speakers). On the other hand storing some things works better in the Icon -- the Zojurushi mug (sometimes used for tea) stores better here, and a light merino jersey in the back pocket works well.
    For me, the smaller size is a feature not a bug. I don't always need something as big as my Co-Pilot or even my MCB.

  7. #22
    Forum Member NYCWriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Share
    Manhattan
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcross View Post
    For me, the smaller size is a feature not a bug. I don't always need something as big as my Co-Pilot or even my MCB.
    Agreed.

    To me, the Icon appears to be a happy medium between my Co-Pilot -- which often feels too big and bulky for casual and weekend out-and-abouts -- and my Sidekick -- which is deliciously petite but good for carrying only the absolute essentials; forget about headphones, a book, a magazine, or even a mini umbrella.

  8. #23
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised at how much I like the Icon. It's the clown car of bags, and it's always funny to me when I set it on my desk at work and pull out my iPad Mini, coffee mug, tiny purse, notebook, winter gloves...

    My shoulders don't generally appreciate cross-body style bags, but this one hasn't bothered me. Perhaps because it is so light that it doesn't weigh much, depending on how it's packed.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-29-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •