Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help is appreciated

Hi,

I am looking for a more formal looking backpack or briefcase for travel and commute. I have had back surgeries so try to find the lightest possible bag. I have an LL Bean stowaway day pack that is 22 L and weighs a mere 14 oz. I like it a lot but it is too casual.

Can you kindly recommend one from your lineup that would be appropriate for my needs? I usually travel with only carry on. So, I use a light weight roller and would like a briefcase or backpack that can be stacked on top of the roller. 22-26 L would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance.

Max

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help is appreciated

What about a black halcyon daylight backpack? Its only 16 liters but is very lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you probably know, in general, you're balancing a "pick two" triangle of three qualities:

* Durability / strength / Professional looks (IMO less durable = less professional, YMMV)
    * Low Weight
    * Higher Capacity

To start, any Tom Bihn bag for you should be in black 400d Halcyon fabric - right off, that's going to give you great looks (mine are complimented all of the time in corporate-land), with strength and very good durability.

From here, you're going to be trading off weight and capacity:

* Daylight Briefcase - 8L, 9.2oz
    * Ristretto cafe bag - 9L, 19oz
    * Pilot briefcase - 13L, 18oz
    * Cadet briefcase - 13.5L, 25oz
    * The Luminary backpack - 15L, 24oz
    * Daylight Backpack - 16.5L, 12.3oz
    * Syapse 19 backpack - 19L, 25oz
    * Synapse 25 backpack - 25L, 29oz
    * Western Flyer travel briefcase / backpack - 26L, 35oz

Best size for weight is going to be the Daylight Backpack
    ...but it's a backpack which may not work for you ...

My recommendation would be The Pilot
    While it's smaller than your ask, it's only a few ounces heavier, looks great, you can get a ton of stuff in there (I use it for my corporate laptop briefcase), and it's got a pass-through for your roller, plus it rolls up small if you wanted to pack it
    Last edited by GrussGott; 12-01-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very useful. I don't think the daylight backpack would work, but I like the pilot. I wonder whether it would fit the stuff I want to fit.

Perhaps I can buy it and see, assuming I can return it if it doesn't work out.

The western flyer is definitely great from what I can see, although it is heavier. Your point about compromise is quite valid!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @171Maxh. It looks like you're already getting some relevant and detailed responses!

As already suggested, the Pilot is designed for almost exactly that use case with its roller handle passthrough and briefcase styling.
    The exterior fabric choices are Halcyon 400d, which is especially light and flexible with a visible grid pattern, versus 525d or 1050d ballistic nylon, which is somewhat heavier and stiffer and does not have the two-tone grid pattern. (Some people find the grid pattern to look less professional or that the flexibility of the fabric means that less-filled compartments seem to "sag", so they choose ballistic instead, which is more likely to hold its shape and has a wider variety of color choices.)

Good luck on your decision, and don't hesitate to ask more questions (or search in the forums for answers about your candidate bags)!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    Welcome to the forums, @171Maxh. It looks like you're already getting some relevant and detailed responses!

As already suggested, the Pilot is designed for almost exactly that use case with its roller handle passthrough and briefcase styling.
    The exterior fabric choices are Halcyon 400d, which is especially light and flexible with a visible grid pattern, versus 525d or 1050d ballistic nylon, which is somewhat heavier and stiffer and does not have the two-tone grid pattern. (Some people find the grid pattern to look less professional or that the flexibility of the fabric means that less-filled compartments seem to "sag", so they choose ballistic instead, which is more likely to hold its shape and has a wider variety of color choices.)

Good luck on your decision, and don't hesitate to ask more questions (or search in the forums for answers about your candidate bags)!
    Thanks. I have my homework to do. Cheers.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 171Maxh View Post
    Perhaps I can buy it and see, assuming I can return it if it doesn't work out.
    For details about their return policy, see here: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq35

Given that, one of the recommended strategies is to order several candidate items, test-pack all of them at home, and return the ones that don't work for you for a flat rate (as long as you're in the contiguous USA).

It's an ongoing joke that the associated risk is that you like all of them and don't return any. Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    For details about their return policy, see here: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq35

Given that, one of the recommended strategies is to order several candidate items, test-pack all of them at home, and return the ones that don't work for you for a flat rate (as long as you're in the contiguous USA).

It's an ongoing joke that the associated risk is that you like all of them and don't return any. Smilie
    Thanks. I guess I will have to exercise self restraint when ordering more than one bag since they all look really nice :-)

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! If you have a list of what you want to fit, we could probably get super specific.

It sounds like the Pilot will work for you. It's only listed as 13L, but that's 13 Tom Bihn liters, which are magically, mysteriously different from ordinary liters.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Hi! If you have a list of what you want to fit, we could probably get super specific.

It sounds like the Pilot will work for you. It's only listed as 13L, but that's 13 Tom Bihn liters, which are magically, mysteriously different from ordinary liters.
    For travel, I normally would need to fit a 14"laptop, a 12.9" ipad pro, electric wires for both, a power bank, passports and travel documents, a couple of protein bars, an inflatable pillow (deflated it takes almost no space), a light sweater or jacket, and a TSA approved sized toiletries bag. If it weren't for my need to minimize the weight (because of my back), Western Flyer would be ideal!

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 171Maxh View Post
    For travel, I normally would need to fit a 14"laptop, a 12.9" ipad pro, electric wires for both, a power bank, passports and travel documents, a couple of protein bars, an inflatable pillow (deflated it takes almost no space), a light sweater or jacket, and a TSA approved sized toiletries bag. If it weren't for my need to minimize the weight (because of my back), Western Flyer would be ideal!
    The Pilot will carry all of that except the sweater/jacket. If the sweater/jacket is lightweight it may fit in the back pocket or water bottle pocket.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    The Pilot will carry all of that except the sweater/jacket. If the sweater/jacket is lightweight it may fit in the back pocket or water bottle pocket.
    Yup, exactly, or just shove it through the handle or the back pocket - I do that all of the time ... I also think this is a hole in the TB lineup: a briefcase version of the S19/25 ... maybe a Pilot+ or similar ...

but yes, the Pilot will easily fit those things and the coat/sweater can drape over the top, through the handle, through the pass-through, and/or in the back pocket

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% agree. Pilot has plenty of room for that, depending on the size of the sweater/jacket. One of those packable puffers would be no problem. I suspect you'd find the western flyer to be humongous.