Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Black/Island Luminary 15 and a Nebulous Pika because someone stole the Black Pika out of my cart while I was getting ready to pay. Nebulous is fine. I would have preferred Seapine but there is time to pick something up in that color when the debut craze is over.
    Spring

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [UPDATE: we're making another batch of Tom's Firewood Carrier and they will ship by mid-December.]

Quick update! Here's the forecast for restocks of the new items. Note that these bags will be available for order again at 1:00pm Pacific Time, so the dates below pertain to additional production runs outside of the remaining stock that's being added to the website at 1:00pm.

We're making additional production runs of the following bags:
    Icon
    Travel Cubelets in 630d Recycled
    Monster Truck
    Pick-Up Truck
    Tom's Firewood Carrier

Our goal will be to restock them as soon as we can. I'll share updates on the progress of these items over the next week.

Additional production runs for the following bags won't begin until late December due to materials shortages that were (sadly) out of our control; they are expected to ship in January 2020:
    HLT 1
    HLT 2
    P.I.K.A.
    630d Recycled Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches
    Color Zipper Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches

And in regards to things selling out so quickly... here's some early thoughts:

The email sign-ups didn't give us an accurate indication of the level of interest in these new designs; we think that is because the debut times were public knowledge, so a lot of people didn't sign up for the emails.

Some materials delays forced us to choose between shelving some of these designs for later release or offering them knowing they’d prob. sell out in early December; we chose the latter, figuring we would make some folks happy and also get an early indication of which designs and colors were most popular so we could better plan ordering thereafter to be able to stock the items in 2020. However, this may have not been the best choice, considering how quickly they did sell out...

Re: the shopping cart and how it doesn't reserve inventory: it's a complicated choice. In order to enable the website to do that, we'd need to use a third-party app/database that could conceivably contribute to the website loading a little slower on high volume Internet days like today (we experienced this previously w/a different app). That aside, it could cause frustration if people add items to their carts, those items are reserved for hours, and the cart is abandoned: then those items would be automatically added back to the website at a later time, perhaps when other people have already chosen second color options because they thought their first choice was sold out. (Hope that makes sense, I'm typing fast as I'm helping with chats and emails and stuff!) That's not to say we've done all the thinking we can on this... we will be talking about it in the days to come I am sure.

Regardless of all of that, we will do what we can to make this work better in the future. And we're open to feedback and thoughts from you guys on that, too.
    Last edited by Darcy; 12-02-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added P.I.K.A. and Firewood Carrier
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get an HLT1 in NWS (I checked the site at 10:58am EST, and it was live!, so into my cart it went), as well as a small TT in NWS which I added to my shipment later. This is the first time I’ve ever managed to successfully order something on debut day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Re: the shopping cart and how it doesn't reserve inventory: it's a complicated choice. In order to enable the website to do that, we'd need to use a third-party app/database that could conceivably contribute to the website loading a little slower on high volume Internet days like today (we experienced this previously w/a different app). That aside, it could cause frustration if people add items to their carts, those items are reserved for hours, and the cart is abandoned: then those items would be automatically added back to the website at a later time, perhaps when other people have already chosen second color options because they thought their first choice was sold out. (Hope that makes sense, I'm typing fast as I'm helping with chats and emails and stuff!) That's not to say we've done all the thinking we can on this... we will be talking about it in the days to come I am sure.
    While it'd be great if there were a good solution for this problem, there just isn't. Your current practice (items are not "held" and pulled from inventory until the purchase is completed) is by far the most common in e-commerce. Even though it has the downside of frustrating someone who is trying to piece together a large order, it just makes the most sense from a practical standpoint.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossing my fingers for an all black Icon in the 1:00 PM debut since my email notification didn't work for the morning one! I'm gonna set my phone alarm this time lol
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do expect there will be another rush on the Icon, HLTs, and others at 1:00pm.

Someone shared this strategy with us, so we'll share it with you:
    Add the items you want to your wish list NOW, refresh the page around 12:55 - 1:00pm, and add them to your basket as soon as you can / check out.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but I think it's faster too if you already have your credit card info loaded & saved...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I feel very lucky that I got my first choice Logic Blue Icon and that the new GWOPs I also ordered didn't keep me from checking out quickly enough. Seeing how fast the first batch of Icons sold out, I'm glad I decided not to try to order an extra backup color, which would've kept it from someone else. (Fingers crossed I love the Logic Blue in person!)

Thank you for the detailed update, Darcy! Your transparency is one of the many things that sets TB apart from other companies, and it gives me confidence that you're doing the best you can when making tough decisions. While there may be no perfect solution to the shopping cart issue, perhaps clear documentation about how it works would help for future debut days? This morning I suddenly remembered there had been discussion about this in the past, but I couldn't remember how exactly the cart works and wasn't able to find the discussion before the products went live. I don't know if it would be "frequent" enough to warrant an entry in the FAQs, but the announcement posts on the blog and in the forum could be good spots for a heads up so people aren't caught by surprise.

Good luck to everyone trying for bags in the second batch!

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple ideas re: reserving items in the cart. Most of them aren't good, but they are options Wink

• Let people see how many of a product are in shopping carts. ("This item is out of stock, but 15 of them are in people's shopping carts and may be available for order in the next day.") Then people can decide whether to fall back to a second choice or wait for their top pick.
    • Reserve the items for a set amount of time, e.g. 10 minutes, a la Ticketmaster. This is pretty stressful—ever buy event tickets and get flustered entering your card details?—but the upside is that people won't have to wait more than 10-15 minutes to see if their favorite item becomes available once again. It does have some accessibility concerns (e.g. people who aren't able to complete the checkout in time).
    • Do a pre-order lottery. Take requests over the course of a week, then randomly assign available stock to people. Phish have done this for popular concerts. If someone changes their mind and declines (or doesn't respond soon enough), pick another person who was waiting.
    • (Semi-)randomly release more and more stock throughout the day. Whoever happens to load the page at the right time wins. This option has a number of problems—extra server load, favoring people who don't have to work all day, someone getting two items might have to make two separate orders, etc.
    • Hold a contest ahead of time that ranks people; people with the most points get higher priority. Think: Supermarket Sweep.

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think it's faster too if you already have your credit card info loaded & saved...
    I did this. But waiting for the text to confirm took too long. The text seemed to take longer to arrive than usual. Maybe because of the shopping craze.
    Spring

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've shopped on websites before that have a timer on your shopping cart. Most of them have a timer of 10 minutes, and then your items disappear back into inventory. At the rate things sold out this morning a timer of 5 minutes could be sufficient :P

I logged in to my account ahead of the debut and updated my saved addresses so that I could just click my shipping and billing addresses from the drop down menu instead of typing them in. I also had my wishlist ready for DAYS and moved what I wanted into my cart a few minutes ahead of the debut time.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VICTORY!

Secured my HLT Size 1 in Seapine to stick into my Nebulous Synik 22!

Also grabbed a couple of wallets for my family for Christmas.

That was intense! Sheesh. Feel like i just won the lottery only i had to pay money (gladly!) instead of winning it.

Good luck everyone!

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Icon in my cart and clicked "Go to Shipping" at 1:01 PT and got an empty cart message Smirk Frown

Is this really all actual end-user demand, or is there some kind of eBay arbitrage scheme happening?
    Last edited by kathryn; 12-02-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear! 21:00 (UK time) added the Icon to my existing cart of stock items....checked out with card....21:01 Icon removed from my cart as all sold out.
    I have given up now....Frown

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning items did move quickly. I was too indecisive then and ended up coming back this afternoon. I appreciate that the go-live time seemed to be on the button or maybe 30 seconds after 1 p.m. arrived. Wow, the stealth logo Icon moved quickly. I had it in my cart and then it disappeared while I was checking shipping options.

To the folks whose first debut this may be, and who feel like they missed out, please be assured that more bags will be produced. It's kind of interesting how we get caught up in the debuts, but even the most popular bags do come back relatively soon. It is actually a big change that we know so much about the bags and their specs ahead of time. Debuts used to have brand new information released the day of, such as bag name/structure/specs/fabrics, so it's now possible to do a lot of homework ahead of time and even see full mod photos and kitted out gear.

I know that doesn't make it better if you feel you missed out, though. Thanks to the entire Crew for another exciting debut!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast