Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We expect the Icon, Monster Truck, and Firewood Carrier to be restocked before the holidays. Again, we will split the debut at two different times on the same day. We’ll send out an email to everyone signed up via email a couple of days before they’re restocked to give you a heads-up on the day and time; if you aren’t signed up via email, please sign up now on any of the three aforementioned pages.

Updates on the Icon:

We’re temporarily out of our Cloud 210d ballistic due to an additional delay outside of our control on the supplier end of things. We used the remaining Cloud 210d we had in the next production run of Icons: that was enough Cloud to line two color combinations — Black 525d/Black Zippers and Black 525d/Rainbow Zippers.

That means the other color combinations of Icon — for this production run only — will be lined with 420d Steel Parapack. We have updated the color combination names on the Icon page to reflect this. For some of you, this will be exciting news; Parapack is a beautiful material, and this is the last of the Steel (save for a small remainder we’re keeping on hand just in case it’s needed for a repair). For some of you, this may be not-so-good news, because you prefer the 210d Cloud — and if that’s you, know that future production runs of the Icon in January and beyond will be made with Cloud 210d lining.

We received surprise word from our supplier this week that new colors of 525d ballistic that we ordered will arrive much sooner than expected — likely just before or after the holidays (as opposed to “sometime early next year”). That means we’ll be able to make the Icon and Monster Truck in these new colors and they should be in-stock sometime mid-January - mid-February. Our policy is not to announce new colors until we’ve actually received them and they’re at the factory, but these are close enough that we think we can share them now, especially for those of you who may want to wait to purchase an Icon or Monster Truck in the new colors in the new year.

I wish I could share photos with you of the new colors, but we don’t even have them yet! So, here’s some hopefully evocative-enough text descriptions in the meantime:

A medium blue that’s basically our 1000d Cordura French Blue.
    A brown with grey undertones; it’s a cooler tone than our 1000d Cordura Cocoa.
    A deep green that’s similar to 1000d Confier and 1050d Forest.
    And, of course, Coyote 525d, but we all knew that was coming!

While we had originally planned to transition next week’s Icon restock to pre-order, there were a variety of logistical complications with that plan, including staff vacations and timing with potential pre-orders in 2020. We’re also temporarily out of Cloud 210d (which has been delayed a couple of times already) and while we’re assured its on its way and will arrive sometime the week of the 16th, we’re not entirely comfortable taking pre-orders when we don’t actually have the fabric here at the factory.

So, here’s the Icon restock plan:

• Icon is restocked next week w/the Monster Truck and Firewood Carrier. (If you're interested in any of these, we ask that you sign up on any of the aforelinked pages if you haven’t already, as we’ll be emailing you with the exact day and times they'll be restocked!)
    • We’ll also begin work on a *third* batch of Icons as soon as we receive our 210d Cloud fabric, which should be the week of the 16th. This batch may be ready for restock/ordering as soon as mid-January, and it will also have the new 525d colors.

Okay, now the longer-term update

To recap: Monday’s design debuts were popular. Add to that the fact that some materials issues outside of our control meant we couldn’t make as many of the bags as we would have liked plus we split the debut into two parts to give more folks a chance to order, and that meant some of the designs sold out very quickly. While many people were able to order what they wanted, many were not, and that was understandably a frustrating experience.

Since then, we’ve been asking for your feedback, experiences, and ideas (thanks!) and doing our own brainstorming on how to come up with a solution that could work for more people.

While more and more of our design debuts are pre-order, we expect there will always be an occasional debut that will be a stocked debut. And the ability to choose whether to offer a new design or even an existing but semi-retired design as an in-stock debut or a pre-order debut is important to our efficiency, logistics, and our ability to be nimble and responsive as a small business.

Our traditional “Cyber Monday” debut is a stocked debut because we can’t take pre-orders in early December and guarantee that they’ll arrive by or on 12/24. Some people don’t like shopping on Cyber Monday. Other people do like shopping on Cyber Monday; we hear from people who specifically like to choose to shop with small businesses like ours who may not be offering discounts but are offering something interesting and new. That support is important to our complex and evolving operation here in Seattle and because of that, we want to continue to offer new in-stock designs on Cyber Monday.

We’ve evaluated the various ideas we’ve thought of, that you guys have suggested, and that our developers have suggested or given feedback on, and have evaluated each according to our goals and intentions, which include:

* Reduce frustration or feelings of hurry around quick-selling debuts.
    * Give more people a chance to order.
    * Continue to be able to offer new designs, colors, fabrics as often as we’re inspired or asked to.
    * Accept the limited production capacity we choose by manufacturing in Seattle and continue to manufacture in Seattle.
    * Ensure our systems and procedures continue to be efficient so we can offer the best quality and the best service.
    * Make sure we can still have either pre-order or in-stock debuts that are important to our small business.

We landed on one solution, then discovered a logistical problem with that one; then, when we thought we might have a different solution, members of our customer service and shipping crew brought up some good points about how that solution could create harried work days and thus reduce their efficiency and ability to offer good service.

So, here’s what we’ve come up with:

On future Cyber Monday debuts — which will be in-stock debuts — we will offer between 1 - 3 new designs, depending on the complexity of manufacturing the design and of course if we have one design or two or three! In comparison, this year we offered eight designs. If we offer between 1 - 3 new designs, we can devote more production capacity to those designs; splitting that capacity between seven designs (didn’t make the Utility Cloth, after all) reduces the overall quantity we can make of each.

If we have a new design that’s ready but there’s a materials supply issue or, for whatever reason, we aren’t able to make as many of the new design as we’d like for the Cyber Monday debut, we’ll release that design at a later time.

Our goal will be to offer major new designs anytime of year but Cyber Monday. Think designs along the lines of the upcoming Trinity, which are much more complex to manufacture. This part of the plan may evolve as we introduce new designs and semi-retire or retire others, or as we try out the BIHN Labs idea.

Whew! If you’ve read through all of that, you deserve an award. Smilie Our business is a complex one and we are trying our best, learning from our mistakes, and striving to do better next time. There is a lot for us to consider with decisions like these: you guys, our employees, our workload, making sure the business is doing well. We want you to share your genuine feedback, experiences, and constructive criticism, and we would like you to do that, no matter what. If you do not like something, you help us by telling us about it. I think it’s more like, we just want you to know that if we make mistakes or don’t do certain things it isn’t because we don’t care or we haven’t listened; it’s more like we might be between a rock and a hard place with all of the considerations we must weigh in our decision making. And I am not saying this like “Oh, poor us!” because we feel abundantly, profusely grateful that we get to do what we do and be who we are with you. I just don’t want you to think we don’t care, because we do.

So, that’s where we’re at! There’s so much more cool stuff in the works. We can’t wait to share it with you (and share it in the best way we can!)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @darcy Thank you SO much for your thoughtful updates and considerations. You and the TB crew always go above an beyond expectations, and the transparency you provide is amazing and greatly appreciated.

Also, SUPER excited about the green that's going to be coming in!!! Can you say if the plan is to offer all the new 525d colors in products that are already 525s?

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wishing for a Monster Truck in a brown shade! Missing out last week turns out to be good luck. Big Grin

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    Also, SUPER excited about the green that's going to be coming in!!! Can you say if the plan is to offer all the new 525d colors in products that are already 525s?
    That's the plan Smilie It will be a steady progression to incorporating the new 525d colors into all of the designs... basically, we'll add new 525d color options at the same time we have a planned production run of a particular design.

We'll also offer the upcoming Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Synik 22 and Synik 30 in the new colors, as they all pair quite nicely with Coyote.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I was wishing for a Monster Truck in a brown shade! Missing out last week turns out to be good luck. Big Grin
    Don't know whether this is of interest to you, but the updated Clear Organizer Wallet product page shows a COW in Brown Cordura that I don't remember seeing yesterday. They must have found that one, because the last colors that I saw as in stock were a few in Coyote Cordura

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's the plan Smilie It will be a steady progression to incorporating the new 525d colors into all of the designs... basically, we'll add new 525d color options at the same time we have a planned production run of a particular design.

We'll also offer the upcoming Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Synik 22 and Synik 30 in the new colors, as they all pair quite nicely with Coyote.
    @Darcy,

Since @MatthewR posted the update on Clear Organizer Wallets going into production in 525d Ballistic Nylon colors and 200d Halcyon colors, should we also expect to see these wallets in the new 525d and Halcyon colors that will be coming out later? I find that the wallets and pouches are a great way to check potential colors combinations of interest:
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    12/04/2019 New Bags and Colors Ready to Order
    Blob Edition

Cache, 15C (16" Macbook Pro or Pre-2017 15" Macbook Pro)

12/04/2019 New Bags and Colors In Production
    Note: We fielded a lot of questions the last couple of days about Clear Organizer Wallets, so we thought it'd be nice to put this here. Smilie

Clear Organizer Wallet, Island 200 Halcyon
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Ultraviolet 200 Halcyon
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Wasabi 200 Halcyon
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Cloud 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Alphaviolet 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Deep Blue 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Mars Red 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Aubergine 525 Ballistic
    Clear Organizer Wallet, Black 525 Ballistic

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Am I ready that set of commas correctly? GE S25, GE SN22, and GE SN30???
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Was that accursed autocorrect? Am I reading that set of commas correctly? (Eats, shoots and leaves)?

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I asked for the GE SN22 like 6 hours ago and it might've already gotten confirmed? You guys work fast here.

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    @darcy Thank you SO much for your thoughtful updates and considerations. You and the TB crew always go above an beyond expectations, and the transparency you provide is amazing and greatly appreciated.

I agree 100000% with this! Thank you Darcy and TB Crew for keeping us updated, it is so appreciated!!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Was that accursed autocorrect? Am I reading that set of commas correctly? (Eats, shoots and leaves)?
    autocorrect is the bane of my existence
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, I (I'm sure all of us) appreciate the efforts you and other staff are making to improve the shopping experience for us.

Will any of the improvements you're planning involve not removing items from shopping carts once we've clicked the check-out button and are typing in payment information?

Thanks, again!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    autocorrect is the bane of my existence
    But autocorrect gives me so many things to laugh about! Like when I tried to title an Amazon review "TSA-approved bottles" and got "TSA-approved hotness" instead. Big Grin (I did catch it before hitting "post" though.)
    Last edited by aedifica; 12-07-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t tell you the number of times my last name has been auto corrected to Klingon... Which, semi-sadly, it is not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! So excited for the new earth tone colors, thanks so much. The crew at TB are amazing, as always.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @darcy Thank you so much for the updates! I can only speak for myself, but I really appreciate everything you and TB does! I'm firmly in the "I don't like shopping on cyber monday" mostly because the whole black friday/cyber monday concept is silly.. Since TB doesn't discount anything, it seems like we'd all be better off if you released stuff when you were ready, in a way that made your employees happy! We customers will always support TB and always buy your cool stuff. Smilie

I hope you and the team have a wonderful holiday season, have lots of love and joy, and go into the new year with clear minds and fresh spirits and I cannot wait to see what you all come up with in the coming year.

Regards,

MarkC

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast