Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handy Little Thing 1 for Smart Alec

I purchased a HLT1 in Iberian with the intention of using it as a first aid kit. However, when it arrived I realized that the spacing of the thumb loops make it perfect to attach to the front of my Smart Alec with 1” single gatekeepers. I am also going to experiment with the HLTs to use as an Upper Modular Pocket. So excited that these nifty new HLTs can be used with my beloved Smart Alecs to change up the look with all the many colors/fabrics.

Handy Little Thing 1 for Smart Alec-img_0430-jpgHandy Little Thing 1 for Smart Alec-img_0431-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the contents so far. A Surefire flashlight, a Leatherman Micra in a sheath, charger and cord, plus a Field Notes-type notebook and pen. In the pockets, I plan to put more first aid type of things. These HLTs are great.

Handy Little Thing 1 for Smart Alec-img_1567-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HLTs sold out before I could get one but it's good to know they can work with the Smart Alec. I love my new nordic/wasabi SA. For the life of me I can't understand why they discontinued that bag even though it's been awhile!

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a genius hack, love it. Solves my problem of no lower modules available. Someone had suggested a travel cubelet, but for some reason the travel cubelet doesn’t have the loops for a gatekeeper strap like the side effect and side kick do. I was worried about relying on only the loops of the TC to keep it connect to my SA. I had kinda dismissed the HLT as not being necessary to my life, but it may have just wormed its way in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Pammy and others,

Yes, the spacing of the back thumb loops matches of HLT1 matches the webbing loop spacing both at the top of the Smart Alec for the Upper Modular Pocket and at the bottom where the lower modular pocket hangs

@Pammy got started asking about how the new HLTs could be used with the Smart Alec, so you can see my early posted answer in the middle of the debut day thread about ways to attach the HLTs as an UMP. That post shows the HLT1 suspended via 1" single gatekeeper clips to the top webbing loops of the Smart Alec

You can also see what the back of the HLTs look like:

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-07-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I just wanted to quote an excerpt from Darcy’s earlier post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Updates on debut item stock:

Note: everyone who ordered the first production run of the HLT of either size received two Medium Swivel Double Carabiners and two Large Swivel Double Carabiners; we included both sizes (even though the HLT notes that only one pair is included; so, the second pair we included first-batch only basically a bonus pair) because we couldn’t decide which size made more sense to include with the HLT and we want your feedback on that! So, as you begin to receive your HLTs, let us know which size of Carabiners you prefer here or emailus@tombihn.com

Three sizes of Swivel Double Carabiner will be available for purchase separately in early 2020
    Bag hackers should particularly note the final line that the Swivel Double Carabiner will be available for purchase in early 2020.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

I just wanted to quote an excerpt from Darcy’s earlier post:

Bag hackers should particularly note the final line that the Swivel Double Carabiner will be available for purchase in early 2020.
    @moriond, I noticed that, and I think it's great news, especially for those who have inquired about them in the recent past and were not able to get them from Tyny Tools. I haven't had time to play around with the larger size ones that came with the Handy Little Things, but I bet they will be very useful too. Having a choice of three sizes will be really great. I use mine all the time.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: which size double carabiner should ship with the HLT2 (as that's what I have). I honestly don't know. I keep swapping between the two sizes depending on the use case... Has anyone else settled on a size and if so, which and why?