Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Icon - comparison of the two fabrics?

Iíve decided to order an Icon when they are back in stock. I have narrowed it down to either the Nebulous Grey 630 Recycled/Iberian zippers and the Black 525 Ballistic/Island zippers.
    Every single TB item I own is Halcyon. Could someone please paint me a word-picture of 525 fabric vs. the 630? Softness/stiffness, drape, hand, the weave, coarseness, texture...in general how do the fabrics feel and how do they differ from each other? Do you have a preference and if so, why?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my POV, the 630d recycle is closer to the 400d Halcyon... it's more supple/flexible or less stiff, than the 525d ballistic.

I bought a 630d recycle Icon in Logic Blue and like how it hugs the body (other folks have mentioned that too) but I really like the look of the black stealth 525 Icon (even though I never normally have a black bag). I'm concerned the 525 won't conform as much at first because it is stiffer (the fabrics tend to soften/loosen up over time)... but a lot also depends on the geometry of a given bag and how it's carried... so I'd also like to hear from anyone who bought the Icon in both fabrics.

The weave is visually different, since the 630 is 1x1 vs the 2x2 ballistic of 525 & 1050.

In addition to folks chiming in on personal experience/perceptions, check out the Materials Glossary if you haven't already (lots of folks don't know it exists)

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    From my POV, the 630d recycle is closer to the 400d Halcyon... it's more supple/flexible or less stiff, than the 525d ballistic.

I bought a 630d recycle Icon in Logic Blue and like how it hugs the body (other folks have mentioned that too) but I really like the look of the black stealth 525 Icon (even though I never normally have a black bag). I'm concerned the 525 won't conform as much at first because it is stiffer (the fabrics tend to soften/loosen up over time)... but a lot also depends on the geometry of a given bag and how it's carried... so I'd also like to hear from anyone who bought the Icon in both fabrics.

The weave is visually different, since the 630 is 1x1 vs the 2x2 ballistic of 525 & 1050.

In addition to folks chiming in on personal experience/perceptions, check out the Materials Glossary if you haven't already (lots of folks don't know it exists)

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    Thanks, G42, that was very helpful, especially the materials page. Always good to get educated. I hope some other people will add to the discussion with their experiences with this bag in either or both the fabrics.
    I’m having to give up on my hope of using the PU as an EDC. All the helpful members who replied about the relative size of the bag from a visual standpoint have just about convinced me that it’s just going to look too big when worn hanging from my shoulder. I love the shape of the PU and keep trying to make it work in my mind, I wish I could convince myself that it won’t look huge when lightly loaded.
    I’m looking for that Goldilocks bag between the lack of structure of my MB and the super structured CP. I do wish the Icon was made in Halcyon. That fabric always looks like a Bihn bag to me.

Forum Member
    austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    i bought the logic blue icon as well, and i would agree with this (i have a lot of ballistic in my collection, but also a fair amount of halcyon).

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched a very good review video posted by SpencerS of the new 630 fabric using Ghost Whales as the examples. In it the 630 Nebulous Grey fabric looks a bit shiny. Was that his lighting or does the fabric have a sheen to it? (The videos are on the Reviews forum and he does a really great job).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    I just watched a very good review video posted by SpencerS of the new 630 fabric using Ghost Whales as the examples. In it the 630 Nebulous Grey fabric looks a bit shiny. Was that his lighting or does the fabric have a sheen to it? (The videos are on the Reviews forum and he does a really great job).
    Given the "texture has a slightly more coarse appearance, reminiscent of 1000d Cordura" note on the Materials page, I, too, am curious to know if the 630 is as shiny/sheeny as the 525.

Forum Member
    austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a nebulous ghost whale in the A5 size (525 ballistic), and also a nebulous super mini GWOP in the new recycled fabric. looking at them next to one another, you can tell that they are different fabrics because of the different weave (as mentioned above), and the color even seems slightly different, but i would say that they are equally "sheeny" -- just differently so. i have no idea if that helps, ha ha, and the lighting is atrocious right now so i'm not including pictures, but i'd just say: both are pretty, both are smooth to the touch, and both have a lovely sheen.

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got another question for anyone who has a Nebulous Grey/Iberian zippers Icon. In the stock photos the zippers look a very deep red, almost a burgundy color. The Iberian lining of my CP is BRIGHT red. I have found, on my screen, that red colors aren’t true to the product. For instance, I ordered a Mars Red GW that looked to be a very bright red in the stock photo and in reality is a much deeper red.
    Which way does the red color of the zippers on the Nebulous Grey lean? If anyone has an IRL photo that is true to color, that would be great.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Given the "texture has a slightly more coarse appearance, reminiscent of 1000d Cordura" note on the Materials page, I, too, am curious to know if the 630 is as shiny/sheeny as the 525.
    The 630d does have a sheen, but in the case of some materials, like Parapack, the weave of the individual fibers is fairly fine, so there is a more lustrous quality. I'd say that because the 630d fabric is not this tight, extruded nylon filament, the feel is more "clothlike" in the same way that 400d Halcyon, particularly Original Halcyon or any of the white grid versions of Halcyon at 400d, feels more clothlike than the 200d Halcyon and gives quite a difference experience to the touch.

So let’s get around to that comment “its texture has a slightly more coarse appearance, reminiscent of 1000d Cordura”. This isn’t a statement about how smooth it feels, because I find it smoother to the touch than 525d Ballistic Nylon. But it does feel textured in the way that woven cloth has a texture in contrast to extruded Nylon filaments. Both the weave that’s used and the fiber sizes are larger than for 400d Halcyon, so @G42’s statement about this resemblance is correct, but you’d have to continue your extrapolation of the more clothlike feel of 400d Halcyon compared to 200d Halcyon to a fabric that lets you feel more of the weave.

In the Icon, I suspect that the 630d material molds more to your body in the carrying experience than 525d Ballistic Nylon. In the Handy Little Things, the 630d feels comfortable held in the hand, while the 210d Ballistic Nylon feels sleeker and more high-tech. I can totally imagine Ravelry folks deciding to get HLTs in the 630d fabrics simply because they like the “hand” of the fabric, while lots of other forum members opt for the 210d Ballistic Nylon because it is lighter, projects a more high tech appearance (and also comes in black).

@Finnabair, I haven’t seen the Nebulous Grey Icon in 630d material with Iberian zippers, but I did order one of the scrap black Super Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches with Iberian zippers, and I’d say that the red zipper is the same as on their Iberian keystraps. That may give the appearance of being slightly darker than 200d Iberian Halcyon with a white grid running through it, but it is distinct from Mars Red. One of the clues is that they didn’t rename the zipper color something different from “Iberian”. You can see whether you consider my color reference description of Mars Red is something you’d consider adequate by looking at my post (#19 11-17-2019 in the Update on the 11/5 Synik restock colors thread). You can also check the pictures of the Ghost Whale Super MiniOrganizer Pouch in Scrap Black with Iberian zipper that is holding keys in the Key troubles thread)

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the details, @moriond!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Thanks so much for the details, @moriond!
    You're welcome! By the way, this is your chance to grab an aubergine ballistic nylon Clear Organizer Wallet once they get around to producing them. So far they've made them in Mars Red, Nebulous Grey, and Black 525d Ballistic Nylon. The other colors are in production. (Since you asked two years ago Might ballistic Clear Organizer Wallets ever be an option?).

moriond

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You're welcome! By the way, this is your chance to grab an aubergine ballistic nylon Clear Organizer Wallet once they get around to producing them. So far they've made them in Mars Red, Nebulous Grey, and Black 525d Ballistic Nylon. The other colors are in production. (Since you asked two years ago Might ballistic Clear Organizer Wallets ever be an option?).

moriond
    Remembering things like this is why our volunteer moderators are so awesome! Between info dredged from the archives, to wonderful pictures and reviews, you guys/gals are the best!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Iíve got another question for anyone who has a Nebulous Grey/Iberian zippers Icon. In the stock photos the zippers look a very deep red, almost a burgundy color. The Iberian lining of my CP is BRIGHT red. I have found, on my screen, that red colors arenít true to the product. For instance, I ordered a Mars Red GW that looked to be a very bright red in the stock photo and in reality is a much deeper red.
    Which way does the red color of the zippers on the Nebulous Grey lean? If anyone has an IRL photo that is true to color, that would be great.
    I have an Icon in the Nebulous 630 with the Iberian zippers. I don't currently own any Iberian Halcyon, but I have in the past and I feel like the zippers on the Icon are a little darker, not necessarily to burgundy. I posted a couple of photos of it, one in the your photos are needed, and some others in the Icon v Medium Cafe Bag threads.

True to color is a bit subjective depending on your monitor/screen settings. My work computer monitor definitely reads "warmer" than my cell phone screen. Looking at the photos on both screens, I'd say my "unboxing" photo is relatively accurate, followed by the last two photos in the Icon V MCB post. All the photos were taken with my cellphone camera indoors with no natural light (i.e night time).

HTH

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

moriond
    Okay, @moriond is officially magic.

Thanks for the heads up, and that was damn impressive!!! Big Grin

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senua View Post
    I have an Icon in the Nebulous 630 with the Iberian zippers. I don't currently own any Iberian Halcyon, but I have in the past and I feel like the zippers on the Icon are a little darker, not necessarily to burgundy. I posted a couple of photos of it, one in the your photos are needed, and some others in the Icon v Medium Cafe Bag threads.

True to color is a bit subjective depending on your monitor/screen settings. My work computer monitor definitely reads "warmer" than my cell phone screen. Looking at the photos on both screens, I'd say my "unboxing" photo is relatively accurate, followed by the last two photos in the Icon V MCB post. All the photos were taken with my cellphone camera indoors with no natural light (i.e night time).

HTH
    Thank you, Senua, that unboxing photo was a big help! I was hoping the zippers were NOT bright red, and also hoping they weren’t the rusty color of my Mars Red GW. I think the deep red against the Nebulous Grey is very striking.