Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk me into a new backpack?

Iím looking for a backpack smaller than my S25, but that will still hold my Leuchtturm1917 Master Dots notebook - 12.5Ē x 9Ē x .75Ē, an 11Ē iPad Pro, and the usual minor stuff to go with it all - pens, chargers, earbuds, etc.

The S25 is a really nice bag, and I like it, but it begs to be filled and so I fill it and then itís too big. It invites me to bring what I can, not just what I should. Itís a lot to have next to my feet in the car when we take longer trips.

So I was eyeing something smaller. The S19 is smaller, and has the organization I like about the S25, but is it small enough?

Then thereís the Luminary 12 & 15. TB tells me the 12 will hold the notebook if I unzip the divider, which I have mixed feelings about because I do carry water from time to time. The 15 will probably also need to be unzipped Iíd guess, but maybe not? Neither of them have a frame, so theyíll be a bit floppy. Not so sure about that either - I added a frame to my S25 and was much happier for it.

The other thing about the Luminary is that it doesnít have pen slots, and just a few pockets. I feel like the two pockets on the sides are meant to store just one or two things - otherwise youíre pulling it all out or turning the bag on itís side to see inside them. I figure Iíll end up with an HLT or the like to store pens and other small stuff, and then the bag becomes a bag to hold bags.

Iím tempted by the Luminary because it will be the right volume. Iím concerned it will be too floppy when the notebook and ipad are out of it, and Iíll always be digging around in the bottom of it for whatever pouch or little bag that has what Iím looking for.

Is there another bag I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Steve

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy All The Bags!!!

-ahem-

Try the S19 - it sounds like the best fit for what you're looking for.... the Daylight Briefcase might work in a pinch, but that may be downsizing too far.

Both the Luminary bags would require unzipping the internal mesh divider for long/tall items... I like them best for non-laptop sleek urban bags.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Luminary 12 and love it. I switch between it and my Synik 22 as an EDC, depending on what I need to carry. The water bottle pocket is still usable when the divider is unzipped. When I want to carry something tall I unzip the divider, place the notebook against the back of the bag, and put my water bottle in the pocket. That still leaves plenty of room for smaller items to be placed on either side of the water bottle; there's key rings halfway down the interior of the bag to help with organization. The bag stands up by itself when empty and will stand up when full (depending on what's in it.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Luminary original and it does not seem like a floppy bag to me when it's not stuffed. I bought the Ghost Whale Organizer pouch in small just to try it out and found that it's a perfect size for a pen case. So I use that when using bags without convenient pen slip pockets (like in my Night Flight).

Even if you unzip the inner divider, it does help to organize things like a water bottle inside the bag. The design of the inner divider was a little odd to me at first but not inconvenient.

I got the Luminary to replace a Timbuk2 bag that had more organizational pockets. Since Timbuk2 doesn't make the same design anymore, I had to look elsewhere. The straps and the durability won me over, and I might just upgrade to a new Luminary to get the few upgrades they've done. But if you're really looking for more organization, would you consider the Pilot/Co-pilot instead of a backpack? I've got the Co-pilot and it's honestly the best "messenger" type bag that I've used when it comes to organization.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - thanks for the replies!

I was considering going to a shoulder bag, and the makers bag is the right size. But the flap cover will drive me nuts. The co-pilot looks promising but itís an inch too short to fit the notebook, Iíve been tempted by that one in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Luminary 15 and love it. I also have an S25. I was looking for something smaller in addition to the 2 DLBPs that I have. The L15 is a great, snazzy looking little backpack.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I adore my Luminary, and I don't think it's floppy at all. It really maintains its shape no matter what you carry. You will almost certainly have to unzip the water bottle pocket to put a notebook in that section.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swduncan View Post
    I’m looking for a backpack smaller than my S25, but that will still hold my Leuchtturm1917 Master Dots notebook - 12.5” x 9” x .75”, an 11” iPad Pro, and the usual minor stuff to go with it all - pens, chargers, earbuds, etc.

[...]

Then there’s the Luminary 12 & 15. [...] The 15 will probably also need to be unzipped I’d guess, but maybe not? [...]

The other thing about the Luminary is that it doesn’t have pen slots, and just a few pockets. [...]

I’m tempted by the Luminary because it will be the right volume. I’m concerned it will be too floppy when the notebook and ipad are out of it, and I’ll always be digging around in the bottom of it for whatever pouch or little bag that has what I’m looking for.
    Depending on thickness and binding, I think the notebook should be able to "sneak into" the L15 laptop compartment with a 2-point turn. I think the iPad would be able to fit up higher in the main compartment, resting on the divider zipper; each side is roughly 5.5 inches wide, and the tablet is roughly 7 inches wide, so I don't think it will fit comfortably on either side, and the notebook is right out.

I found that the padding and the extra layers of fabric around the laptop compartment were enough to make it much less floppy than a DLBP, and even a bit stiffer than a "bare" S19. Nothing compared to a real framesheet, though.

Regarding pens in the L15: Agreed. I'd be tempted to use a small Ghost Whale or Pen/Pencil organizer clipped to a side-pocket O-ring, or to use something like a Travel Cubelet as a catch-all on one side of the main compartment divider.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The s19 is my work bag, and I use an L15 recreationally. The L15 doesn't wear like a small bag. It's tall, and takes up a lot of space on your back. It's just low profile, doesn't stick out as far away from you as the s19. To solve the pen slot issue, i use a small GWOP for pens.

I have a synik 30, also, which has the same footprint as the s25, and it feels like a monster compared to my s19. I think you'll like the s19 better than the L15, unless the external access to your computer is a priority.