Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Wish List

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Yes. I've almost bought the Pilot a couple times, but the two compartments doesn't work for me and I guess I am looking for something a little less briefcase-ish, more messenger bag.
    I am in the same quandary with the Pilot. The Pilot is a great bag for what it is designed for but I really want a more informal, more "messenger" style of bag that fills a similar size but less "briefcase" type role.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím waiting for delivery of a Parental Unit instead of the Pilot, which I also almost purchased twice, but just wasnít 100% on board... I like the unstructured messenger bag with lots of pockets and never even thought about it until i saw a couple of youtubers (mainly Pie on the Trail) using it as an EDC. I canít wait to get it!
    Might that work? It has the same basic capacity as the Pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 wish since all of my events have been cancelled is to have some happiness with a last run of the NFTD (black halcyon/island and black ballistic 525/island). I would be soooo happy.

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    My 2020 wish since all of my events have been cancelled is to have some happiness with a last run of the NFTD (black halcyon/island and black ballistic 525/island). I would be soooo happy.

I seconded one more run on the night flight travel duffel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    Limited run of the Smart Alec -- in coyote halcyon would be even most awesome -- in the new colors **pretty please** WITH EDGELESS STRAPS!
    Yes, please! (in any of the new or old colors) -- only with an option for the beautiful old bound straps. (I'm one of the few for whom the new straps don't really work.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be in for a limited run of the Large Cafe Bag!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see a very simple TB drawstring backpack. There are millions around, I know, but most of them are made from cheap materials with lousy built quality or have giant logos. Aether or Halcyon would be my favorite materials and in terms of organisation just a couple of O-rings and perhaps one interior zipper pocket.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    St Louis, MO USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the need for a zipper-less, velcro-less pouch for carrying those travel packs of tissues. I have what seem to be never ending allergies and watery eyes so I find myself carrying those tissue packs but they get tattered very quicky. Also I like to keep a small supply of gloves for pumping gas and a pouch with no zippers would be nice also. So a travel tissue pack cover/pouch would be a big seller for me. Tried looking on Etsy for some but didn’t care for any of the designs and I don’t own a sewing machine. I know Tom and Co could do a killer version of course.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macgirl View Post
    I have found the need for a zipper-less, velcro-less pouch for carrying those travel packs of tissues. I have what seem to be never ending allergies and watery eyes so I find myself carrying those tissue packs but they get tattered very quicky. Also I like to keep a small supply of gloves for pumping gas and a pouch with no zippers would be nice also. So a travel tissue pack cover/pouch would be a big seller for me. Tried looking on Etsy for some but didnít care for any of the designs and I donít own a sewing machine. I know Tom and Co could do a killer version of course.
    I like the size 1 travel stuff sack for this sort of use

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wallet that holds flat bills, cards, and coins!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my Aeronaut 45 for a few trips now, and I have one issue with it. It's hard to insert or remove something from the top pocket without everything else in there falling out. I think the reason for this is because this pocket is meant to be used with the top fully opened, i.e. laying flat and parallel to the top of the bag. But that isn't possible if you've got the bag up against a wall.

It would be possible to make this pocket usable with the flap in either the "half open" and "fully open" positions by rotating the zipper 90 degrees. If it were a double zip, the "top" of the compartment could be accessed no matter the orientation of the bag. See diagram attached.

2020 Wish List-20200609_155514-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @proximal ,

There’s an old thread, Aeronaut : flap opening direction ?, in which @Darcy explains that the Aeronaut was designed to be loaded and unloaded while lying flat, and that the placement of the zipper for that top pocket was made to optimize the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Aeronaut was designed to be loaded while laying flat (on a bed, on top of a chest of drawers, on a luggage rack) and not while standing on edge.

The main zippered flap on the Aeronaut is specifically situated for optimal access (loading and unloading) while the bag lays flat (not while you're carrying the bag upright). Here's how that works: after you flop/set/toss your packed Aeronaut onto a bed, chest of drawers or luggage rack, the inverted “U” shaped opening naturally unzips and folds towards you so you can access the mesh pocket sewn into the flap. So, no need to set the Aeronaut down and then turn it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    To clarify: the main (center) compartment of the Aeronaut was designed to be neither loaded nor accessed while being carried.

When designing the Aeronaut, Tom noted how he and others (friends, bag testers) used a carry-on and, specifically, how they put the bag down in a hotel room. People tended to sort of sling it into the bed, luggage rack or bureau, with the handle ending up oriented closest to the user. Tom didn't want them to have to turn the bag around butl rather wanted them to be able to start to unpack it in that orientation. Either way, when there's much of anything in the mesh lid pocket, it won't stand up but will flop down -- Tom wanted the user to have easy access to that pocket in that flopped-down position.
    There are some pictures posted by other forum members in that thread to help in the discussion. i think the point behind the design is that while the expectation is that you would have access to a flat surface when loading and unloading the Aeronaut, but that you wouldn’t always be in a situation where you would have or want a “wall” to prop up the flap while accessing contents. Please either tap the arrows at the top right of the quoted sections or use the thread link to see this discussion with pictures and in context. Maybe @Darcy can offer more comments?

Quote Originally Posted by proximal View Post
    I've used my Aeronaut 45 for a few trips now, and I have one issue with it. It's hard to insert or remove something from the top pocket without everything else in there falling out. I think the reason for this is because this pocket is meant to be used with the top fully opened, i.e. laying flat and parallel to the top of the bag. But that isn't possible if you've got the bag up against a wall.

It would be possible to make this pocket usable with the flap in either the "half open" and "fully open" positions by rotating the zipper 90 degrees. If it were a double zip, the "top" of the compartment could be accessed no matter the orientation of the bag. See diagram attached.

2020 Wish List-20200609_155514-jpg
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Bucks County PA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Large Cafe Bag! Work just issued me a new computer that doesn't fit in my MCB but my Synik 30 is really too much for work EDC. MCB was really the perfect size, form, everything for what I needed (up until a week or two ago!).
    Last edited by drdamian; 06-09-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macgirl View Post
    I have found the need for a zipper-less, velcro-less pouch for carrying those travel packs of tissues. I have what seem to be never ending allergies and watery eyes so I find myself carrying those tissue packs but they get tattered very quicky. Also I like to keep a small supply of gloves for pumping gas and a pouch with no zippers would be nice also. So a travel tissue pack cover/pouch would be a big seller for me. Tried looking on Etsy for some but didn’t care for any of the designs and I don’t own a sewing machine. I know Tom and Co could do a killer version of course.
    Heh, I know it's "retro", but I've had a chronic runny nose for ages and I finally gave up on tissues recently and switched primarily to handkerchiefs. Having to blow my nose probably 15-20x a day year-round was really adding up both in money and wasted paper.

Took some trial and error--and getting over the mental hump--but I actually prefer them now. Most handkerchiefs are stiff out of the package but wash them once or twice and they soften right up and are just as comfortable as tissues to use. And for me at least, I can save a few trees (forests?) to boot.

Maybe something to consider for your situation, too?
    Last edited by Surrealle; 06-10-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamperdog View Post
    A BrainBag with a stiff back panel and to be able to remove the divider between the 2 main compartments to make one big one!
    I had pretty much the exact same thoughts. I recently discovered the Synapse 25 frame sheet works well in the BB, so I'm satisfied on that front, but I'd kill for a clamshell opening and removable divider between the two compartments.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast